PDA

View Full Version : deck table

frank shic
11-11-2007, 5:00 PM
here's a deck table that i built off of online plans out of 2x6 construction grade fir and finished with spar varnish.

Charles Wiggins
11-11-2007, 5:46 PM
I like. Where'd you find the plans?

frank shic
11-11-2007, 11:53 PM
right here, charles:

http://www.woodcraftplans.com/cw011.htm

i picked this version over the free versions because i didn't want everyone to have to climb over the seats to be able to sit down.

Bill Huber
11-12-2007, 12:14 AM
I like the table, it looks like it would be easy to set on the benches, you don't have to climb over them to set down.

So did you do this one handed.....:D

frank shic
11-12-2007, 1:20 AM
good one, bill! naw, i finished the table the weekend before my recent accident but i was just waiting for the sun to come back out to take a decent shot of it. i'm really impressed with the design of this table because the seats are pretty well supported at multiple points and the octagonal tabletop was just a BLAST to build.

i learned three major lessons on this project:
#1 pocket screws in 2x material can be drilled FREEHAND without a jig
#2 check with your wife as to what finish she wants EARLY ON
#3 home depot now carries 6" six hole sandpaper for the bosch 1250 devs

i originally stained the tabletop and the bench seats the same color as the deck and had even put a couple coats of spar varnish over them when my wife stopped in the garage and said, "oh, don't you think it would look better natural?" aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhh. out came the ROS as well as the handplanes to sand everything back down. i had to take the tabletop almost completely apart to get at the edges of the table planks.

Charles Wiggins
11-12-2007, 8:31 AM
good one, bill! naw, i finished the table the weekend before my recent accident but i was just waiting for the sun to come back out to take a decent shot of it. i'm really impressed with the design of this table because the seats are pretty well supported at multiple points and the octagonal tabletop was just a BLAST to build.

i learned three major lessons on this project:
#1 pocket screws in 2x material can be drilled FREEHAND without a jig
#2 check with your wife as to what finish she wants EARLY ON
#3 home depot now carries 6" six hole sandpaper for the bosch 1250 devs

i originally stained the tabletop and the bench seats the same color as the deck and had even put a couple coats of spar varnish over them when my wife stopped in the garage and said, "oh, don't you think it would look better natural?" aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhh. out came the ROS as well as the handplanes to sand everything back down. i had to take the tabletop almost completely apart to get at the edges of the table planks.

Valuable lessons, esp. that last one!