PDA

View Full Version : Top pick for WW mag

Charles Wiggins
11-11-2007, 12:27 PM
If you could have a lifetime subscription to ONE WW mag, BUT that would be the ONLY WW mag you could look at for the rest of you life, which one would you pick? Why?

Jim Becker
11-11-2007, 2:22 PM
Fine Woodworking...because I enjoy it more than any other from the standpoint of articles and techiniques. 'Even better if that lifetime subscription included all the back issues, too!

Steve Mellott
11-11-2007, 2:23 PM
Agreed - Fine Woodworking, and after a lot of collecting, I have most of the back issues.

Steve

willie sobat
11-11-2007, 2:54 PM
I have had a subscription to FWW for several years. I have become less enchanted with it lately. It seems to have changed its focus more towards products and less on the craft recently. Two magazines that have gained more of my attention lately are Woodwork and Popular Woodworking. If I had to choose between the two of them I would pick Woodwork.

Randy Klein
11-11-2007, 3:21 PM
Toss up between Popular Woodworking and Woodworking, probably just due to Chris Schwarz's editorship of both and their increased emphasis on hand tool work.

Rob Bodenschatz
11-11-2007, 3:29 PM
#1: Fww
#2: Pw

Steve Wargo
11-11-2007, 3:50 PM
Woodwork magazine. Sometimes a little to "artsy fartsy" but always a good read.

Tyler Purcell
11-11-2007, 3:52 PM
Fine Woodworking here, as well. Their online subscription service appears to be top notch.

Walt Caza
11-11-2007, 4:04 PM
No fair! That's like limiting us to just one flavour of ice cream...
My top 5 in order:
1. FWW (the fresh ones pale in comparison with my oldies, sorry)
2. Pop.WW (comfortable content for me and getting better)
3. WW (my new pet, no adverts)
4. Am.WW (this Canadian finds it yummy)
5. Woodsmith (also no adverts)

My 2 cents is that I did better grazing newstands to cherrypick topics
of interest, than subscribing for whole years.

Take care,
Walt

Pete Clifford
11-11-2007, 4:08 PM
First choice, Popular Woodworking. It has an excellent group of writers under Christopher Schwartz, and is written at an appropriate level for me. FWW is also good, but sometimes too esoteric for my skill level.

Mark Engel
11-11-2007, 4:24 PM
This is probably not a popular choice, but I really like Wood Magazine from Better Homes & Gardens. The projects they feature don't usually require the skill level required by some of the other mags mentioned, but they are usually very useful. I seem to find at least one good project in each issue.

I also like the way they do sets of projects. For instance, the 3-in-1 crib/bed followed by matching dresser and changing table. Here is the set as built by T. Scott Nalley.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=684838#post684838

I may not be 'high end' stuff like FWW, but I still like it. :)

Garth Keel
11-11-2007, 4:42 PM
Chris Swartz:) is the main reason I would choose Popular Woodworking or Woodworking; On the other hand FWW is hard to beat

Nancy Laird
11-11-2007, 4:50 PM
No fair! That's like limiting us to just one flavour of ice cream...

Walt

Walt, I have to agree with THAT sentiment. No way would I want to eat chocolate for the rest of my life...

My top 5 in order:

1. Fine Woodworking
2. WoodSmith
3. Shop Notes
4. Wood
5. Popular Woodworking

These all have such great articles, plans, projects that if I had to choose--I'd have to elect NOT to choose.

Nancy (40 days)

Gary Keedwell
11-11-2007, 5:26 PM
Lately.
Popular WW
FWW
American WW
Gary

Per Swenson
11-11-2007, 6:17 PM
To heck with all the magazines.

Everything you ever needed to know is

right here at SMC.:D

Per

Clay Crocker
11-11-2007, 7:49 PM
FWW for me.

Clay

Bob Genovesi
11-11-2007, 9:31 PM
Fine Woodworking
American Woodworker
Shop Notes
Wood

Jack Hogoboom
11-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Another vote for Chris Schwarz. I find him to be very readable and inspiring. Woodworking is my new favorite. I just bought the bound copy of the first 7 issues and read it straight through. I also just bought his new Workbench book and am looking forward to reading it. I only wish WW would come out more often.

Oh, BTW, I subscribe to literally ALL of the available magazines out there. At my level of proficiency, I can't afford to miss anything.:eek:

Jack

Greg Pavlov
11-12-2007, 12:58 AM
If I had to pick one, it would be FWW, and I would want the web site as well to go with it, but several of the others are good and useful as well.

(I subscribed to FWW for a while soon after it first came out, before I lost interest in woodworking, and didn't pay it much attention until a few years ago. While it is quite different I think that it still is quite good, better than most magazines covering other hobbies that I am familiar with).

Randy Davidson
11-12-2007, 8:05 AM
FWW. Alway looking forward to seeing it arrive in my box.

Heather Thompson
11-12-2007, 8:23 AM
For me it would have to be WoodWork and then of course my neighbor down the way would pick FWW. Nice to have like minded neighbors. :D

Heather

Vernon Taylor
11-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Shop Notes

John Schreiber
11-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I get more out of Saw Mill Creek than I do any magazine, and the price is great.

I do pick up FWW at the library now and then. I am cheap and I know a bargain when I see it.

Rob Blaustein
11-12-2007, 12:37 PM
Lately.
Popular WW
FWW
American WW
Gary

Have not seen a copy of "Gary" on the mag stands...:D

Agree with FWW, PW, and WW and also give a big thumbs up for Chris Schwarz, Bob Lang, and the rest of the clan at PW and WW. Very approachable and enthusiastic. I think it's great that the authors all provide phone numbers with individual extensions.

Gary Keedwell
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
[quote=Rob Blaustein;692560]Have not seen a copy of "Gary" on the mag stands...:D
You haven't? It's right there in the "geezer" section:eek: :)

Gary

Keith Beck
11-12-2007, 3:05 PM
I've got to go with Mark on this one. I've got subscriptions to several WW mags and the one I always seem to get the most mileage out of is Wood. I like Woodsmith and Shopnotes too, but I don't think of them as "magazines" in the true sense of the word.

Keith

Scot Ferraro
11-12-2007, 4:54 PM
I subscribe to several, but in order of preference:

1. FWW
2. Popular Woodworking
3. Woodshop News --
4. Woodwork

I kind of equate FWW and Popular Woodworking as being very close and it would be a toss-up as to which one I would take if I could only have just one...

Thanks,

Scot

Jim Kountz
11-12-2007, 5:39 PM
Well if this was asked of me a few years ago I would have said American Woodworker back when the good guys were in charge. Nowadays the projects are lame and the articles are all repeats with eye candy. And lets not even get into the male models!! What the H*LL is with that. Cant they find a real woodworker to take a picture of? ......*rant officially over** Sorry bout that!!
Anyway my picks would be the same as most here:
1. FWW
2. PW
3. Wood
57. American Woodworker

Tom Walz
11-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Fine Woodworking for tool reviews
Custom woodworking for shots of beautiful rooms

Scott Brihn
11-13-2007, 2:15 PM
Popular Woodworking because of the writing style and content choices.

Albert Wagner
11-13-2007, 4:07 PM
Woodsmith
Shop Notes
Popular Wordworking
Wood

Jack Camillo
11-13-2007, 7:10 PM
1. FWW (online)
2. PW