PDA

View Full Version : Double Router Table

John Russell
11-11-2007, 11:32 AM
I am going to make some cabinets and see some value in having a double router set up to do the doors. I have been going to replace the top on my current table anyway, so I am thinking of getting a couple of Bench Dog or Lee Valley steel plates and doing a double table or maybe buying one of the Woodpecker custom tops that accommodates two routers. Any experience with double router table tops?

Steve Clardy
11-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I have 2 double tables I made.

One is set up for the rail and stiles. 2--2.5hp routers.

The other is for door finger pulls and door edge treatment. 2--1.5 hp routers

Jim O'Dell
11-11-2007, 11:59 AM
For production work, it makes perfect sense. For the hobbiest like me, it would be a luxury, of money and space, that I don't currently have.:D Jim.

John Russell
11-11-2007, 2:57 PM
I am nothing more than a hobbyist, but I am making a full kitchen of doors, plus some other bookcase cabinets that have doors. For me, time is life, so anything that saves some time is worth it. Since I am making these over a period of time, the set up using just one router seems like it would be time consuming, but lots of folks do this all the time and I know some who do it in their make money shops.

Maybe the question should be about the time saving value of a double router setup for making rails and stiles -- does it save time and frustration in comparison to just one router setup?

frank shic
11-11-2007, 4:03 PM
i had a double router setup for the last two years, but recently, i've decided to build a four router station to do the rails, stiles, raised panels and the edge profile.

Steve Clardy
11-11-2007, 4:22 PM
I am nothing more than a hobbyist, but I am making a full kitchen of doors, plus some other bookcase cabinets that have doors. For me, time is life, so anything that saves some time is worth it. Since I am making these over a period of time, the set up using just one router seems like it would be time consuming, but lots of folks do this all the time and I know some who do it in their make money shops.

Maybe the question should be about the time saving value of a double router setup for making rails and stiles -- does it save time and frustration in comparison to just one router setup?

Yes;)

Mark Engel
11-11-2007, 4:29 PM
I would do it a second if I had the space.

As it is right now, my router table is also my assembly table and the outfeed table for the TS. It really is my primary workbench.

John Russell
11-11-2007, 4:36 PM
Space is an issue for me, but then it is an issue for anyone with a shop-- seems there is never enough no matter what size it is.

My current router table top is 24x32. For some rough comparison purposes the Woodpecker double router top is 32x44, which is enough bigger to make a difference and worth sorting out how to make it have more than one function.

It seems there are enough issues with MDF/phenolic tops that the steel tops are attractive but costly.

jack duren
11-11-2007, 4:52 PM
Maybe three routers....Jack

Rob Will
11-11-2007, 4:58 PM
Maybe three routers....Jack

OK Jack, where did you get that beauty?
I'm impressed.

Rob

jack duren
11-11-2007, 5:27 PM
Its been on the creek before. Built it a couple yrs ago because i was tired of setup times. Works like a charm but takes a 4' square footprint.....Jack

frank shic
11-11-2007, 5:44 PM
jack, how did you hook up the dust collection? it looks like you've got three blast gates hooked up to a central attachment.

jack duren
11-11-2007, 6:08 PM
central on top and bottom.

Rob Will
11-11-2007, 6:52 PM
Its been on the creek before. Built it a couple yrs ago because i was tired of setup times. Works like a charm but takes a 4' square footprint.....Jack

Jack,

I can't seem to find it (??)
Setup time is a real drag for me too. I get a lot of interuptions, throw in a little setup time.....well, you know.
Got any measurements on the cabinet or the top?

Rob

jack duren
11-11-2007, 7:10 PM
I've got the pattern drawn out on 1/4 ply. Tomorrow I'll pull it and measure it....Jack

Rick Williams
11-11-2007, 7:33 PM
Are you sure you posted it on SMC? I know you posted on Woodnet as I followed that thread closely as you progressed through the build.

jack duren
11-15-2007, 8:03 PM
Measures 18" on the short end and 29" on the long end. Roughly a 42x48 foot print....Jack

Josiah Bartlett
11-15-2007, 9:01 PM
I use Rockler inserts in my router table, and have multiple routers. I just set up each plate for each step and move the fence as needed. It's not quite as swift as having multiple tables, but it takes out a lot of the setup time of changing bits and heights. Plus, it doesn't really take any significant extra space.

"Jason Belous"
11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
nice work. looks like you have four though, isn't that a router table in the back?

jack duren
11-15-2007, 11:19 PM
I use the fourth for door edging. Sometimes for other setups..