PDA

View Full Version : Pictures from...

Jon Lanier
11-10-2007, 11:04 PM
The Wood Artistry Show in Dayton, Ohio. We went today and had a great time. Thought you all would enjoy some of the work I had seen there. The Dayton Carver's Guild puts this show on every year and they have mostly carving but they do have a little of everything. I'll post all other photo's of the show I took in the General board. I got a little confused on the artist who did these. Sorry. Also, I tried not to use the flash at the show. Taking pictures was permitted at the show. But I still had a problem annoying people with the flash. So if a picture is a bit blurry... it's because I can't hold still long enough.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4696/naturaledgebowl1tr3.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7686/hollowform3rh7.jpg

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/7222/hollowform2ph8.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9650/hollowform1qt7.jpg

Tim A. Mitchell
11-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I LOVE the form on that vase in pic #2. Looks like it won some award(s). The others are quite nice as well.

ROY DICK
11-10-2007, 11:08 PM
All can say is WOW!!
And thanks for sharing.
Roy

Jon Lanier
11-10-2007, 11:20 PM
We attempted to take notes of all the artist as I took the pictures. So we could share what was won and who they are. We got them all confused, so I can't say exactly what all they are or who. Sorry. :(

Richard Madison
11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Jon,
Was that square base under the vase with the ribbon a part of the vase? Probably not unique, but certainly unusual. Pleasing shape to the vase and the smaller one to the right.

Jon Lanier
11-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Jon,
Was that square base under the vase with the ribbon a part of the vase? Probably not unique, but certainly unusual. Pleasing shape to the vase and the smaller one to the right.

Yes it was. I had trouble getting over to that one, we seem to be at this guys booth at rush hour.

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Wow those are great looking pieces. Thanks for sharing Jon.

Gordon Seto
11-10-2007, 11:28 PM
I got a little confused on the artist who did these.

I believe they were works of Jim Burrowes or Barb Crockett. Both are from Ohio and shared the display. They have done an excellent demo for our Club in September on multi-axis turning and two-part hollowing. I highly recommend them.

Gordon

John Hart
11-11-2007, 5:36 AM
What's going to drive me crazy is how did they hollow up under the shoulder of that long necked vase in #2? Seems like the angle is impossible. I just gotta try that!!! Nice pics Jon....Thanks! :)

joe greiner
11-11-2007, 9:13 AM
What's going to drive me crazy is how did they hollow up under the shoulder of that long necked vase in #2? Seems like the angle is impossible. I just gotta try that!!! Nice pics Jon....Thanks! :)

For deep cuts like that, I've used a regular bench chisel with a single bevel at 25 degrees. Alternatively, you could use a skew chisel, specially ground to 12.5 degrees (more or less) on each side - bevel about 2.5 times the bar thickness; probably best to do this on a spare skew, so you don't lose your touch with the normal grind.

Joe

David Epperson
11-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Hollow it from the bottom and plug the hole with a tenon on the square base, :D

John Hart
11-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Hollow it from the bottom and plug the hole with a tenon on the square base, :D

Ah Ha!!! Good eye! THAT's why it has that base. I was wondering about that....and the fact that the join between the base and the bottom of the vase is too sharp to get a tool in. You are good David.;)

David Epperson
11-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Ah Ha!!! Good eye! THAT's why it has that base. I was wondering about that....and the fact that the join between the base and the bottom of the vase is too sharp to get a tool in. You are good David.;)
Good guesser maybe. :D
It's just a logical deduction of one possibility.

tim mathis
11-12-2007, 12:34 AM
jon, i went sunday and the carvings were just fantastic , it was a great show.