PDA

View Full Version : Banjo problem

Kevin Cole
11-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I beleive its called the banjo :confused:
Well anyways the banjo on my lathe isn't working like it should be. It works on a cam mechanism I beleive. When i tighten it down it doest lock tight and it will slip around.
I think its either one of two problems:
1) The rod running throught it has worn round in some spots
2) The piece that tightens it to the lathe has worn.
Is there any way I can fix this problem? Because it is very annoying.

Richard Madison
11-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Kevin,
Probably there is a hex lock nut below the banjo and centered under the lathe bed. Suggest that you tighten it a fraction of a turn and see if that helps.

If not, please state which lathe you have and someone here will help correct your problem.

Kevin McPeek
11-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Take the banjo off and see if it has a nut on the bottom. They will come loose occasionally. It shouldn't need a lot of tightening.

ROY DICK
11-10-2007, 11:03 PM
KEVIN,

I agree with the others. Also check to see if the washer is bent. This fits between the bed ways and the retaining nut.

Roy

Kevin Cole
11-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Ok ill be trying this in the morning.
Thanks for the quick replies.

Greg Savage
11-11-2007, 11:02 AM
What kind of banjo? A plectrum or a tenor?

Sorry! Wrong forum!! (I know, bad joke! I just couldn't resist a little banjo humor)

Allen Neighbors
11-11-2007, 9:37 PM
On my Old Griz (Grizzly 5979) the banjo had an excentric rod that ran the length of the banjo which tightened the clamp block when rotated with the handle. I had to remove it, lay it on my anvil and beat it straight with a hammer. It had bent over time just enough that when rotated, the excentric shape wasn't enough to tighten it. It's still working today, for the man who bought it from me.

Kevin Cole
11-12-2007, 10:07 PM
I tried Tighting the nut and it worked like a charm.
Thanks alot guys. :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Kevin on my two midi lathes I went to the Oneway site and search for clamp blocks. I bought a set for each. They are rectangular instead of round and give you much better clamping.