PDA

View Full Version : Where can I see Powermatic gear on display in Ohio / Mid Indiana?

Lewis Cobb
11-10-2007, 7:22 PM
Hello -
I have just been informed by my buddy who owns a small engineering firm that I am getting dragged along on some customer site visits in Ohio. Normally I would cuss and complain - however, I have been studying the Powermatic website lately and reading about their PM2000, 882HH Jointer and 15HH planer. As I am probably going to take the safetys off the bank account in the near future and equip my shop for the last time, a chance to see some of this gear and "kick the tires" would be great.

Do any of you folks know of machinery/tool dealers in Ohio or mid and southern Indiana that have any of this gear on display so I can stop in along the way and have a look at it ?

Our route is to fly into Columbus, drive to Cincinnati, then towards southern and mid Indiana, then on to Detroit after which we make our way back to Columbus.

I'll make sure I am the one behind the wheel when we get close to any place that smells of woodworking machinery :D

Thanks for any tips people can pass along.

Cheers,
Lewis

Raymond Fries
11-10-2007, 8:29 PM
There is a Woodcraft Store in Indianapolis. The one here in Fort Wayne has alot of Powermatic on display.

Good Luck.

Scott Brihn
11-10-2007, 8:30 PM
Wood Werks Supply in Columbus, OH and Cleveland Tool & Cutter in Strongsville, OH likely both have nice displays. The Columbus Woodcraft store is also fairly nice from what I recall.

Tom Maple
11-10-2007, 9:23 PM
Keim Lumber in Charm, Holmes County. They have a great selection of Powermatic, Delta and Steel City.

Rob Will
11-10-2007, 10:15 PM
I think there's a big Powermatic industrial dealer in Cincinnatti. Talked to them on the phone once but never been there.

http://www.muellerco.com/mueller_retail_showroom_powermatic.asp

Rob

Lewis Cobb
11-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Thanks everyone ! I've looked up and e-mailed all the places to see what they have on the floor at the moment. Should be able to see these units, even if it takes a couple or three stops along the way.

Cheers,
Lewis

Lance Norris
11-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Keim Lumber in Charm, Holmes County. They have a great selection of Powermatic, Delta and Steel City.

Keim is the lumberyard I deal with and they have a great display of Powermatic machinery. Definitely worth the trip to see the new showroom.

Dave Lehnert
11-11-2007, 1:14 AM
I think there's a big Powermatic industrial dealer in Cincinnatti. Talked to them on the phone once but never been there.

http://www.muellerco.com/mueller_retail_showroom_powermatic.asp

Rob
This is the place you want. Right between I-71 and I-75. This is a true woodworking tool dealer. The place the pro shops buy from. Some equipment their is the size of my truck. They have the largest selection around but be sure to call if you are looking for a certain model. The guys working the counter have been there forever and know their stuff.

Lewis Cobb
11-11-2007, 9:33 AM
This is the place you want. Right between I-71 and I-75. This is a true woodworking tool dealer. The place the pro shops buy from. Some equipment their is the size of my truck. They have the largest selection around but be sure to call if you are looking for a certain model. The guys working the counter have been there forever and know their stuff.

Thanks Rob - I'll be sure to give them a call first of the week.

Cheers,
Lewis

Richard Kee
11-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Lewis,

By all means, don't miss Wood Werks Supply in Columbus. It's less than 10 minutes from the airport and less than a mile off I-270 which you'll probably be taking for your trip from Columbus to Cincy.

I have no connection with Woodwerks except receiving outstanding customer service at every level.

Richard

Lewis Cobb
11-11-2007, 10:51 PM
Lewis,

By all means, don't miss Woodwerks Supply in Columbus. It's less than 10 minutes from the airport and less than a mile off I-270 which you'll probably be taking for your trip from Columbus to Cincy.

I have no connection with Woodwerks except receiving outstanding customer service at every level.

Richard

Hi Richard - thanks - I've sent them an e-mail and hope to hear back tomorrow. Good to hear that it's so close to the airport.

Regards,
Lewis

Mike Pierson
11-12-2007, 2:05 AM
yes- Muellers in Cincy - most of my gear came from there..(although not Powermatic)..right off Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway

Denny Rice
11-12-2007, 3:35 AM
The Cincinnati Woodcraft has powermatic on the floor, and I believe the Dayton store does too. I was in the Cinci store the other day and they has a bright and shinny Sawstop....Had to stick my tounge back in my mouth!:)

Lewis Cobb
12-05-2007, 9:51 PM
Hi folks - I'm back from my business trip and managed to get into only one of the shops that was recommended here - Mueller's in Cincinnati. That was the only one I needed anyway as they had all the Powermatic gear on display that I wanted to see, the fellows there were very helpful and loaded me up with a quote, catalogs, etc. I managed to spend about 2 hours in the place but I still felt rushed :) It's a great place if anyone is reading this that has not been there before and are in the area.

They had the sawstop and the PM2000 on display as well as duplicates with the table tops removed so you could see the inside of each. The trunions on the PM2000 looked massive enough compared to my little contractor's saw, but the trunions in the Saw stop were HUGE. Mind you, so was the price compared to the PM2000. However, both looked to be excellent saws. I asked them about any issues people had with the PM2000 saw as well as the other PM gear I am considering like the jointer, planer and bandsaw, and they were pretty honest telling me the odds and ends that have come up from time to time (all of which I had read about on these forums) but these were very small incidents compared with the total numbers of machines they sold and in ALL cases the problems were resolved by WMH tech support - even if it involved swapping the entire machine.

The other thing I noticed inside the PM2000 is that a 3" hose is used to collect the dust from the blade shroud inside the cabinet and route it to the 4" hose fitting on the back of the cabinet. On the Sawstop the hose is a full 4". The dust collection might be a little better on the Sawstop. The integrated casters on the PM2000 worked well and gave the saw a nice finished look when they are retracted and machine is planted firmly on the floor. The legs on the PM2000 on the extension table are a bit of a joke in the way they are fastened to the underside. Too easy to hit the leg and tear it out of its mounts. In fact one of the legs on the floor model was on the top of the table as this had already happened. Looks like I'll have to beef up the underside or mount them a little different if I get the PM2000.

Anyway, those are just some random thoughts after visiting the shop and seeing these saws for the first time.

Thanks to all that helped by suggesting places for me to visit.

Lewis

Mike Heidrick
12-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Did you pull any triggers?
Is it redmond machinery that works the PM deals - ordering three pieces I think you could be very happy with them. Shoot for the 209!!

Lewis Cobb
12-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Did you pull any triggers?
Is it redmond machinery that works the PM deals - ordering three pieces I think you could be very happy with them. Shoot for the 209!!

No triggers pulled yet, but the money has been moved into the account ready for firing !

209 :eek: I'm on thin ice with the wife as it is .... Mind you, that could have stemmed from my suggestion that we cut back on the Christmas gifts this year if I got my woodworking tools. Looking back it wasn't the smartest thing to suggest but it did seem like the practical approach at the time.... She may still have a heart attack when she sees the size of the 882 jointer rolling into the shop...that thing reminded me of an aircraft carrier.

I have since gotten a quote from the folks at Timberline on 4 pieces - the PM2000, the PJ882, 15HH, and the 14" bandsaw. They discounted about twice what Mueller's did and it all comes shipped from the warehouse in TN anyway. However, a few calls to Redmond might be in order to leave no stones unturned.....