PDA

View Full Version : Green Edge Acrylic, Oh my!

Scott Shepherd
11-10-2007, 6:14 PM
I have a couple of upscale items to make and I made a sample using clear acrylic and told them that the finished product would look like glass with a green edge (Green Edge Acrylic). I've seen it before, but hadn't used it.

It came in yesterday and I just got around to cutting some of it. Oh my, that's some pretty stuff. The edges glow this beautiful glass like green.

Here's a photo. Not a great shot, but it's difficult to get a good shot of in the shop.

This is 1/4" thick. Makes me want to get some 1/8" now and go crazy with it for Christmas items.

Click on the photo to make it larger.

Frank Corker
11-10-2007, 6:35 PM
Yes it's nice stuff I have quite a bit of it, also blue, pink and lilac colours, very pretty finish

Larry Bratton
11-10-2007, 6:45 PM
Scott:
Did you get it from Piedmont Plastics? Who is the manufacturer? Does it come in cast or extruded or both?

Scott Shepherd
11-10-2007, 9:05 PM
Yes Larry, Piedmont. It's a little pricey and I'm not sure if it's cast or extruded. Having gotten that far yet. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that it's extruded.

4' x 8' sheet was about $250 or so. I'm not positive on that because it was part of a large order I placed, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the exact cost of that one.

If you use Piedmont, they call it Green Edge as a generic term. I think it's actually something like Acrylic GP. I'll be back at work in the morning, I'll have a look for the exact cost and name.

Scott Shepherd
11-11-2007, 9:09 AM
Excuse me, I just wet myself :o

Did this at 75% gray and certainly didn't expect what came out. I think I'll be working late today, as there's no way I can get my work done AND play with new ideas with this stuff all day long.

Click for larger image.

Vicky Orsini
11-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I've purchased acrylic from these folks in the past: http://www.theplasticstore.com/default.asp I believe they have the "coloured edge" stuff, as well.

Pete Thomas
11-11-2007, 5:44 PM
Hi Scott, the Acrylic GP stuff is cast and engraves excellent. I did some 3/8" awhile back that had a finished flame polished beleved edge. The final results were stunning.

-pete

Scott Shepherd
11-12-2007, 1:12 PM
Engraved a Christmas Tree ornament yesterday that had a lot of shapes (like a snowflake) and it didn't do very well. It cut fine and looks okay, but the edges aren't nearly as green looking as a piece that's just a simple cut. Not sure why, but apparently all the cuts reflect something back into the edge.

Still very nice looking stuff. I can see a lot of use for this product.

Larry Bratton
11-12-2007, 2:50 PM
Yes Larry, Piedmont. It's a little pricey and I'm not sure if it's cast or extruded. Having gotten that far yet. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that it's extruded.

4' x 8' sheet was about $250 or so. I'm not positive on that because it was part of a large order I placed, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to the exact cost of that one.

If you use Piedmont, they call it Green Edge as a generic term. I think it's actually something like Acrylic GP. I'll be back at work in the morning, I'll have a look for the exact cost and name.
Scott, they call it color 3030 in Charlotte (Piedmont Plastics) 1/4" 4x8 $130. I didn't ask if it was cast or extruded. Extruded is the best for cutting though, because the thickness is consistent.

Scott Shepherd
11-12-2007, 2:58 PM
Larry, I think that's something different. The name on the actual sheet is Acrylite GP Acrylic Sheet. It was over $250 for the sheet. If you're getting the same product for $130, then I need to make a call.

From the invoice, it's #5110-9.

I think I know what the 3030 is and that's not the same thing.

Scott Shepherd
11-12-2007, 3:07 PM
Larry, just got off the phone with the guy. 3030 appears to be an import version of the Green Edge. It has the same look, is extruded as well, but it most likely manufactured in Mexico. He said he didn't think you could tell the difference across the room, but thought it might not cut as well as the premium product.

Take that for whatever it means. I'm drawing no conclusions from it. Let me know which one you get and how it works out for you. If the 3030 works well and is 1/2 the price, then perhaps that's the way for me to go in the future as well.

Larry Bratton
11-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Larry, just got off the phone with the guy. 3030 appears to be an import version of the Green Edge. It has the same look, is extruded as well, but it most likely manufactured in Mexico. He said he didn't think you could tell the difference across the room, but thought it might not cut as well as the premium product.

Take that for whatever it means. I'm drawing no conclusions from it. Let me know which one you get and how it works out for you. If the 3030 works well and is 1/2 the price, then perhaps that's the way for me to go in the future as well.
Scott:
I've used the Mexican acrylic. I can't tell any difference. Extruded is always going to be more consistent though from a cutting standpoint, due to the way it is made. Cast is made in a mould and subsequently can have fairly large inconsistencies in thickness. Rastering of course is another story. The part about it not cutting as well is "sales talk".

Levi Chanowitz
12-15-2008, 12:04 PM
I just laser cut some 3/8" acrylic and the bottom 1/6" came out lousy.
Do I need to lift it off my table? I have 1" aluminum slats that go from the front to the back of may machine. I usually put down a piece of paper where I draw my shapes. When I cut the acrylic, it had paper underneath

Martin Boekers
12-15-2008, 1:39 PM
Acrylite isn't cheap, but the do have a pretty good product line.

If you go to the page an fill out a form they'll send you some samples (Creative Box). One of the nicest set of samples I have ever got.

http://www.acrylite-magic.com/AC_EN/Creative_box/Creative_Box.php5?__BSX=X19VU1tTaG93TW9kZV09MTQ5RE M3QUEw

Marty

Jim Good
12-16-2008, 9:10 AM
Martin,

Do you think the colored edges on the acrylic would benefit from an LED base or will it look the same as typical acrylic? That would be great to use the colored edges as a way to change colors for edge-lighting. That would be too easy, wouldn't it!?! :mad:

Jim

Martin Boekers
12-16-2008, 3:37 PM
Jim,

I'm not sure how Arcylite material is made. It might have a microscopic coating on the inner surfaces to reflect the color. (get thier "Creative Box" it's free and will give you some working samples of thier products.

I think if you just try to put a transparent ink on the edges the effect won't be the same (I haven't tried it, just a theory).

One thing you want to make sure you don't effect the density to much as you want as much light from the LEDS to pass through as possible.

One thing Jim if you have a light base, not too expensive that would hold a 3/16 piece of plex to I may be interested, see the attached for the coin holders I'm making. I'm having issues with sending a photo, check previous post for military coin holders (just the single one)