PDA

View Full Version : how do i get started in woodworking

Dan Sumner
02-11-2004, 6:11 PM
I just finished college with a marketing degree, however i can't see myself working in an office, but at least school is out of the way. I grew up on a small family owned and operated dairy farm and have always worked with my hands. Anyway i have been trying to find a place or person to work for in the NewHampshire or Vermont area that could teach me woodworking skills. I haven't been able to find anything. One person i spoke with, who made custom furniture, told me the days of apprenticeships like the one i am interested in are all but over. He went on to explain that now everything is about production and the days of being hired to sweep the shop and do other manual labor, while learning the trade are gone. Hopefully this isn't all true. But anyway how can i find company or person who is willing to hire a person with little experience and teach them the trade?

Tyler Howell
02-11-2004, 6:49 PM
Dan,

Welcome to the Creek, I think more formal training may be in order in the area you would like to specialize. Your farm back ground already gives you a leg up on most just starting out but I think most shops need some one with specific skills. If anyone can help you it is here at the Creek.

Dennis Peacock
02-11-2004, 7:50 PM
Dan,

Welcome to SMC..!!!! I feel your pain buddy. There is a ww'ing school in Indiana that can take you up to Master Craftsman. I don't remember the name of the school right now, but my goal is to be able to go to that school myself in the next 2 years.

Real apprenticeships are hard to come by in the "states". I don't know of any either.....that's the sad part. :(

Jim Becker
02-11-2004, 8:52 PM
Dan, you might want to check out something like the North Bennett Street School (http://www.nbss.org/) in the Boston area...one the best "training grounds" for folks who want to learn the craft formally. It's true that "apprenticeship" is hard to come by these days, so a training program might be a good solution. Many very fine woodworkers and furniture makers come out of these programs.

Ted Shrader
02-11-2004, 9:42 PM
Dan -

Welcome to the Creek. Great place to hang out.

There are adult education classes offered here in Virginia that teach woodworking basics. You will learn your way around a saw, drill press, bandsaw, etc. The classes come in different levels, though none too advanced. Perhaps something like that is available in your neck of the woods? The local community college offers more in the way of carpentry here, but again, perhaps in your area....?

Good luck and welcome,
Ted

Dan Sumner
02-12-2004, 7:44 AM
i would like to thank all of you that took the time to reply and provided good advice. I will start looking into schools in the area or even just a few classes that could help me out.

Pete Lamberty
02-12-2004, 9:27 AM
Hi Dan, I think the school that Dennis is talking about is found at www.marcadams.com. I went there and would highly reccomend it. Also I would visit this site. wwwfurnituresociety.org. Go to the forums and there is a specific forum called students the next generation. It is for people like you. There are also many schools that offer short term classes, one to two weeks, that can help you learn. Near you is www.woodschool.com. I would also just start making things at home. Start with small projects and go from there. Hope this helps. Pete