PDA

View Full Version : Sand shellac barrier coat?

Tony Sade
11-10-2007, 4:50 PM
I sprayed a couple of coats of shellac over an oil-based gel stain to use as a barrier before I put down a couple of coats of a water-based poly. Is there any need to sand/abrade the shellac first or can I just spray the poly right on top of the untouched shellac? The shellac will be on for at least 24-48 hours before I'll have time to get to the final finish.

Thanks,

Steve Schoene
11-10-2007, 8:09 PM
I assume that you used dewaxed shellac when you sprayed. I would very lightly sand the shellac if it appears glossy at all. A scuffing of 320 grit is all that is needed.

glenn bradley
11-10-2007, 8:22 PM
Steve makes a good point; dewaxed shellac only under water based stuff. Assuming that, I always give it a touch with some 320 or 400 grit or whatever suitable fine grit you think. This removes any dust nibs or bumps. Otherwise you will sand (or steel wool) right through your poly when you come to the high spots.

Steven Wilson
11-12-2007, 12:09 AM
If you got any gloss build from the shellac (which means you probably applied too much) then I would sand it back a bit. If not then you only need to knock off any nubs or fuzzies if you have them.