PDA

View Full Version : Can you decipher this ad?

Brett Baldwin
11-10-2007, 3:01 PM
This ad from C-list just made me laugh once I figured out what was being sold.
Title:
"12 in. Radio Alarm Saw - $150 (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/tls/474702650.html) (pheonix)"

Body of ad:
"12 in. radio alarm saw works great good condition cleaning out and dont have use for it any more. Call ********** ask for Darren

I copied this straight from the ad except for the phone number which I deleted. With an English teacher for a mom and being a woodworker, this ad was sad and funny in so many ways I thought it should be shared for both comedic and instructive reasons. He had had three other items for sale in "pheonix".

p.s. I did email him to let him know the correct name as politely as I could.

W Craig Wilson
11-10-2007, 3:44 PM
If he doesn't know what it is, how does he know how well it works?

p.s. I did email him to let him know the correct name as politely as I could.

Did you correct the name of the machine or his city?
(Probably thinks he's in Aridzona, too.)

Carl Eyman
11-10-2007, 4:15 PM
For 14 years I worked with a man who was a big fan of major league baseball. In every one of those years he would talk about the World Serious.

Kyle Kraft
11-10-2007, 6:43 PM
I know someone who loves to shop at Lowels.

Doug Shepard
11-10-2007, 6:58 PM
Got some relatives in Northern MI that insist that laundry consists of "warshin" the clothes. Then there's the numerous emails I read at work each day from supposedly edumacated people who continually mix up They're, Their, and There. Like "Their are some suppliers from There Korean division that will be attending They're meeting". Gimme a break.

skip coyne
11-10-2007, 7:20 PM
he probably figures that with HD radio coming out its time for a replacement :)

Leland Berry
11-10-2007, 7:55 PM
I have to share this ; I heard this public service announcement on
car radio . It was recorded by the Head of the Continuing Education
Dept in that particular county. The message encouraged citizens to
enroll because-----" Here in XXXX County, 1 in 3 of our older citizens
can neither read nor write. Why thats nearly 30 %....

Jason Roehl
11-10-2007, 7:58 PM
Well, 33.3% is NEAR 30%... :D

Back to the OP, how do you know it wasn't a table saw with a built-in radio alarm?? ;) :rolleyes: :D

Brett Baldwin
11-10-2007, 8:34 PM
I corrected both items Craig. I just checked and the ad isn't fixed.

Doug, the amount of errors I see in emails is astounding. Most of them are from college graduates too (not to or two;)).

Jason, I could be dead wrong but I can't imagine it would be a good thing to have your table saw suddenly blaring Metalica at you in the middle of a cut. :D

Hubert Carle
11-10-2007, 8:48 PM
My mother in law always called Mervin's Department store "Merwins."

She raised a daughter that can't say a proverb right to save her life. She says things like, "He sure bit the bullet." when she really should say "He dodged the bullet." :D:D brings me endless amusement :D:D

Jim O'Dell
11-10-2007, 9:34 PM
Yeah, that's right up there with having to replace the cadillac converter on the car. Used to hear people ask for a new cartilage and needle for their turntable when I was selling stereos back in the 80's. That always provided for some amusement. Jim.

Darryl Hazen
11-10-2007, 10:17 PM
I worked with a woman who used to say she always hung a Christmas Reef on the front door. Must have been a really big door!

Rick Gooden
11-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Anyone out there building a chester drawers?

Tim Wagner
11-11-2007, 12:17 AM
maybe its a 12" saw blade that has been converted into an alarm clock.:p

Rich Stewart
11-11-2007, 3:28 AM
I once passed spaghetti through my nose at dinner table when one of the guests said, "Oh well, six of one, three dozen of another."

Karl Laustrup
11-11-2007, 6:17 AM
I know you think you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you think I said is not what I meant. :confused: :D

I feel more like myself now than I did when I came in, especially after reading this post. :D

Karl

David Epperson
11-11-2007, 8:59 AM
he probably figures that with HD radio coming out its time for a replacement :)
Didn't know Home Depot radios were that good. :D

Try looking up what a "turrent" is when what was intended was a turret. :D
Or a "Muzzle brake" vs a "Muzzle Break" (I want recoil slowed down without fracturing the rifle :D)

John Schreiber
11-11-2007, 10:56 AM
One of my favorites is when people say that they've made a 360° turn in their life.

Even here, I keep hearing people talking about draws. The things you pull out of a cabinet. I figure that must be a regional thing.

Jon Lanier
11-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Just sent an email to them:
Interesting Item. Never heard of it before, can you post a picture of it? Does it cut your arm off if you hit the snooze alarm too often?

-Jon

Craig D Peltier
11-11-2007, 2:44 PM
My buddy does alot of corking, I couldnt figure out why he was corking his garage but he meant caulking.He has said it twice to me. He also said the other day he needs a block planer.:D

David G Baker
11-11-2007, 3:00 PM
My buddy does alot of corking, I couldnt figure out why he was corking his garage but he meant caulking.He has said it twice to me. He also said the other day he needs a block planer.:D
Craig,
By any chance was your buddy from the Boston area? My ex wife added a lot of "R"s in words when speaking but spelled them correctly, she was from Marblehead, Mass.

Chris Foley
11-11-2007, 3:09 PM
When I see ads like this, two things come immediately to mind.

1) The item is stolen and the person selling it has no clue what he has.
2) The seller is clueless period.

I do worry about things on Craig's list being stolen...:eek:

Bob Genovesi
11-11-2007, 3:39 PM
Makes me feel great knowing someone like that could be the decided vote in a major election...http://www.vocinelweb.it/faccine/confuse/pag2/60.gif

Tom Veatch
11-11-2007, 3:57 PM
Craig,
By any chance was your buddy from the Boston area? My ex wife added a lot of "R"s in words when speaking but spelled them correctly, she was from Marblehead, Mass.

Several years ago, on business in Woburn, and discussing a design project with a young lady, I finally tumbled to the fact that the "draw rings" she was talking about were actually the engineering drawings for the progject and not part of the tooling.

Bob Genovesi
11-11-2007, 7:02 PM
Craig,

Generally it's just the opposite. Bostonians usually drop the R's, like I "paked the ca", instead of I parked the car.

Tom Veatch
11-11-2007, 7:46 PM
Generally it's just the opposite. Bostonians usually drop the R's, like I "paked the ca", instead of I parked the car.

Maybe the "Law of Conservation of R's" is at work here - R's dropped from one place have to reappear somewhere else to keep the total number of R's constant?:D

Gary Keedwell
11-11-2007, 8:20 PM
When I was in the army the southern boys would always call my home state Massa-too-shus. (massachusetts).:rolleyes:
Gary

David G Baker
11-12-2007, 12:27 AM
The word garage had at least three Rs in the pronunciation.

Brett Baldwin
11-12-2007, 1:38 AM
I don't how many times I've had to let people know "there's no noise in Illinois" since leaving for college.

Jon Lanier
11-12-2007, 1:48 AM
I don't how many times I've had to let people know "there's no noise in Illinois" since leaving for college.

I don't know about that, after you all have Chicago. Surely it makes some kind of noise there. :p

Mike Henderson
11-12-2007, 2:35 AM
The spelling mistakes I notice most often are:

When writing about others, I often see something like, "Their going to town" instead of "They're going to town", meaning "They are going to town". "Your" and "You're" are also often confused.

I often see a wood "vise" spelled "vice"

Many people offer or seek "advice" but spell it "advise"

That's probably all I notice on any regular basis. Mostly people do a pretty good job of spelling.

Mike

David G Baker
11-12-2007, 11:31 AM
My spelling is bad and I frequently "(always)" use a spell checker. A spell checker would not have caught the advise/advice error. The word "from" is always spelled form by me due to typing error, the spell checker won't catch this either. Wonder how many other errors that I and my spell checker aren't catching?

David Epperson
11-12-2007, 11:57 AM
My spelling is bad and I frequently "(always)" use a spell checker. A spell checker would not have caught the advise/advice error. The word "from" is always spelled form by me due to typing error, the spell checker won't catch this either. Wonder how many other errors that I and my spell checker aren't catching?
LOL. Don't feel too bad or picked upon. I read typonese just fine. :D And it doesn't bother me that badly (possibly because I'm so guilty of transmitting in that form. :D) It's the perpetuation of ignorance that gets to me. Mainly those people that, when the "mistake" is brought to light, will actually defend it as proper or at least acceptable.

Brian Weick
11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Does the alarm clock work, I mean, who doesn't have a radio built in to a saw, just wouldn't feel write without it! When I hear that radio alarm go off on my saw , I know it's time for lunch, and that can be found in my router box, where do you guys keep your lunch, just wouldn't feel write not going there to get lunch and listening to my saw radio :p - Not to pick on who placed the add, seriously ~ but - why don't they check there spelling before placing an add?
that was good- thanks for posting that- laughter is the best medicine, and to boot ,there is no co-pay!:)
Brian

jeremy levine
11-12-2007, 1:24 PM
The clock part I get

http://www.millenniumclockworks.com/sawblade.html

Jason Christenson
11-12-2007, 1:34 PM
Makes me feel great knowing someone like that could be the decided vote in a major election...http://www.vocinelweb.it/faccine/confuse/pag2/60.gif

Um...I'm pretty sure you mean the deciding vote.

David G Baker
11-12-2007, 2:18 PM
Does the alarm clock work, I mean, who doesn't have a radio built in to a saw, just wouldn't feel write without it! When I hear that radio alarm go off on my saw , I know it's time for lunch, and that can be found in my router box, where do you guys keep your lunch, just wouldn't feel write not going there to get lunch and listening to my saw radio :p - Not to pick on who placed the add, seriously ~ but - why don't they check there spelling before placing an add?
that was good- thanks for posting that- laughter is the best medicine, and to boot ,there is no co-pay!:)
Brian
Brian,
The bill is in the mail.

David Epperson
11-12-2007, 2:34 PM
Brian
:D:D:D Funny post. :D:D:D

Jason Roehl
11-12-2007, 3:08 PM
David, you missed "add" (should be 'ad'). :D

David Epperson
11-12-2007, 3:39 PM
David, you missed "add" (should be 'ad'). :D
Naw. I saw it. Just wasn't real sure but what it might have been a regional thing. :D
Besides, what would have been the fun in that? Then you wouldn't have had anything to work with. :D :p

Jason Beam
11-12-2007, 3:57 PM
Among those mentioned, using the wrong words really get to me. Far more severe than simple spelling errors are people who seem to be stubbornly clinging to the wrong word despite hearing the correct usage constantly.

For example, a conversation between myself and more than one college graduate:

Them: Hey! I have a great ideal.
Me: Yeah? I have several ideals. One of them is to speak properly.
Them: Huh?
Me: Nothing. What's your great idea?
Them: Oh ... <continuing as though nothing happened>

For the love of peat (moss)!!

Bob Glenn
11-12-2007, 4:59 PM
It deosn't ralely mtater wihch oderr yuor put the lteters in as lnog as the frist and lsat lteter are crorect. The raeosn tihs wrkos is taht the barin olny raeds the frist and lsat lteter in ecah wrod. :D

David Epperson
11-12-2007, 5:18 PM
It deosn't ralely mtater wihch oderr yuor put the lteters in as lnog as the frist and lsat lteter are crorect. The raeosn tihs wrkos is taht the barin olny raeds the frist and lsat lteter in ecah wrod. :D
Well there is that and then there is context, else how would one determine the difference between trails and trials, or the leading source of lead. :D

David Epperson
11-12-2007, 5:20 PM
Among those mentioned, using the wrong words really get to me. Far more severe than simple spelling errors are people who seem to be stubbornly clinging to the wrong word despite hearing the correct usage constantly.

" I decided to sale some of my stuff, so I put out a for sell sign."
(Actual quote)

Per Swenson
11-12-2007, 5:29 PM
Forecast Summary.

Yeah So?

This conversation actually took place.

With a paying client.

Forecast Summary. Pointing to it on the computer,

she says, can you fix this?

Hunh? I said.

Its always wrong.

Hunh? I said again.

Look its 38 degrees out and its not summer!

Can I update it or something?

The only thing I could say was I know nuttin 'bout computers Ma'am.

Per

Andy Hoyt
11-12-2007, 5:53 PM
Per - you could have at least asked her if the compooter was set to display in Celsius or Fahrenheit. :eek:

Jason Beam
11-12-2007, 6:03 PM
" I decided to sale some of my stuff, so I put out a for sell sign."
(Actual quote)

Ugh ... that's another one. I've seen it gaining popularity on craigslist, too.

Along the lines of spelling, I once dated a girl who would spell "guess" as "quess". I finally got up the nerve to ask why she did that and she said "That's how you spell it, right? With a Q? Since it's got a U after it, it's posed to be QU."

We broke up shortly thereafter.

John Schreiber
11-12-2007, 9:59 PM
Well there is that and then there is context, else how would one determine the difference between trails and trials, or the leading source of lead. :D

Of course, who will lead us to the lead mine?

This language is so goofy, it's amazing that we can actually communicate.

By the way, I was led to the lead mine by the leader who had an led lamp.

Jon Lanier
11-13-2007, 2:15 AM
The spelling mistakes I notice most often are:

When writing about others, I often see something like, "Their going to town" instead of "They're going to town", meaning "They are going to town". "Your" and "You're" are also often confused.

I often see a wood "vise" spelled "vice"

Many people offer or seek "advice" but spell it "advise"

That's probably all I notice on any regular basis. Mostly people do a pretty good job of spelling.

Mike

You don't hang around us dyslexics to much... do you? :cool:

-Jon

Craig D Peltier
11-13-2007, 2:33 AM
Craig,
LOL Yes, hes from Dartmouth, near New Bedford.

David Epperson
11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
Ugh ... that's another one. I've seen it gaining popularity on craigslist, too.

Along the lines of spelling, I once dated a girl who would spell "guess" as "quess". I finally got up the nerve to ask why she did that and she said "That's how you spell it, right? With a Q? Since it's got a U after it, it's posed to be QU."

We broke up shortly thereafter.
Did you tell her "Oh just be quite." :D

David Epperson
11-13-2007, 11:17 AM
You don't hang around us dyslexics to much... do you? :cool:

-Jon
LOL.
Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE!

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic who suffered from insomnia?
He always stayed up all night wondering if there really was a Dog.
(Our son is a bit dyslexic, you gotta find humor in it, or else. :D)

Gary Keedwell
11-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Did you tell her "Oh just be quite." :D
David....Did you mean quiet?:confused: :)

Gary

David Epperson
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
David....Did you mean quiet?:confused: :)

GaryLOL. Of course, but in this thread intentional typo's are to be expected. :D The fact that is was spelled incorrectly was sort of the point.

Gary Keedwell
11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
LOL. Of course, but in this thread intentional typo's are to be expected. :D The fact that is was spelled incorrectly was sort of the point.
Your right...I'm confused. Part of the residue of living with a court reporter (stenographer) for over 27 years. When she is at home "proof-reading" she occasionally asks me to "look-up" a word for her.

Spelling, spelling, spelling...sometimes I feel like I'm living with an English teacher. LOL

Gary

Rich Stewart
11-13-2007, 4:06 PM
And of course there is the story of the mid-westerner who moved to Maine and after listening to the local dialect for years walked around saying, "It costs a nominal egg."

Andy Hoyt
11-13-2007, 4:24 PM
And of course there is the story of the mid-westerner who moved to Maine and after listening to the local dialect for years walked around saying, "It costs a nominal egg." But Rich, everyone knows that the cost of an egg up here has remained rather constant over the years, hence the nominality of the statement. However when considered against the rising cost of chicken arms and legs, all because of that guy in Buffalo, I can see why this sentiment might hold water.

TYLER WOOD
11-13-2007, 6:42 PM
Talking to a friend of mine.

Friend: "I'm really good at English, I think I want to become a writer.

me: "You're good at English?

friend: "Yup."

me: "How are you doing"

friend: "I'm doing good."

DOHHHHHH That's one of my pet peeves. I'm doing well, not good. He still does not get it. It's such a part of grammar here in W. Texas that it's not even noticed anymore. Kind of like ain't, fixin' to, and such.

Oh by the way my wife and m-i-l both say warsh the dishes/cloths. I always aske her how to spell wash, where's the r honey?

Jason Roehl
11-13-2007, 6:51 PM
Hey! People warsh the dishes in Indiana, too!

The one that bothers me and I hear a lot in Indiana is, "This doohickey needs fixed." (should be: "needs to be fixed" or "needs fixing")

I usually spend a while re-teaching my kids a few things after they've visited my in-laws (beef-cattle farmers). :rolleyes:

Gary Keedwell
11-13-2007, 7:06 PM
I have lived in New England all my life but my son has been in Tennessee for about 15 years and I wish I had a dollar for every time he says "reckon". " I reckon I gotta go now, I reckon" "Do you reckon it is going to rain?":eek: :D

Gary

TYLER WOOD
11-14-2007, 10:14 AM
Sound like Gary is a little jealous I reckon. Reckon he need to go live in Tenersee. yesa I do believe he do. :D

Rich Stewart
11-14-2007, 12:03 PM
Gary, I bet he said, "Do y'all reckon it'll rain?" We used to bust on a southern buddy of ours. Whenever he would say "Reckon" we would substitute "rectum" or "Wrecked 'em" however it is spelt.

David Epperson
11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Gary, I bet he said, "Do y'all reckon it'll rain?" We used to bust on a southern buddy of ours. Whenever he would say "Reckon" we would substitute "rectum" or "Wrecked 'em" however it is spelt.
Wrecked 'em? He!!, I reckon it dang near kilt 'im. :D

Gary Keedwell
11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Your right Rich...I forgot the "y'all" :eek: ... There is never a sense of urgency either. Do you think we should mow the lawn today? I reckon. Or should we do it tomorrow? I reckon. Very decisive:D
I bet their blood pressure is lower down there....well...with what they like to eat....NOT GOING THERE:eek: :cool:
Gary

Steve Leverich
11-15-2007, 3:11 PM
From this link

http://www.slinkycity.com/the-spelling-checker.html

"
PC Spelling Checkers have become increasingly common and increasingly important... But are they always everything they're supposed to be?!
Spelling Poem

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew."

I worked with an electrician years ago who was originally from Arkansas, and in the course of a conversation he said, "an he jest retch right out an' tuck it" -

Maybe English would be easier if it wasn't made up of so many "borrowed" words, but I've always agreed with the comment that English is made up of "2 rules, and 3,875,231 exceptions"... Steve

Brett Baldwin
11-16-2007, 1:11 AM
Theys just a heapa goodly ejucated peeples on this heya list.

Here is another ad from a different person. Do you think they know Darren?
Radio Arm Saw - $50

Reply to: ****************
Date: 2007-11-15, 11:57AM MST

Black and Decker Radio Arm Saw. Works well. Costs over $100 new. Selling for $50. Call Erik or Keith at (********).

Brett Baldwin
11-16-2007, 1:16 AM
Oh...I just thought of the word that a coworker used completely incorrectly. Irregardless. He used it to start practically every other sentence and never once in the proper way. He did stop using it when I pointed out what it was he was prefacing his sentences with.

David G Baker
11-16-2007, 11:14 AM
I used "irregardless" for years because that is what was used by almost everyone I knew until one day I was on a news story with a well educated reporter and used the word. The reporter was the type to humiliate everyone around him so he could flaunt his superior education. I was his target for the day. I haven't used the word since. Guess I should thank him even if he did cause some red cheeks. When it came to mechanical things he was as helpless as a babe in the woods.