PDA

View Full Version : Article on shop cabinets

Troy Woodbury
11-10-2007, 2:39 PM
In the last few weeks I read an article on building cabinets for your workshop.

The article describes wall cabinets with a cleat system and rolling base cabinets. They are versitile because they have interchangable shelves and drawers.

Anyway, I went back to look at the article and can't find the magazine. I don't even remember which title it was or exactly when I read it. I'm starting to think that I imagined the whole thing. If this article sounds familiar or you know of a similar cabinet system I'd appreciate the response.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
11-10-2007, 5:08 PM
Could it be WOOD Magazine's Idea Shop #5? They have unfortunately taken that off line, but perhaps you can find the issue.

Troy Woodbury
11-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks for your response Jim. I'm pretty sure that the article I saw was more recent than that, but to be sure I ordered that back issue. Thanks.

Scott Rollins
11-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Wood Magazine Issue #178 (october 2007) has some roll around cabinets for bench tools (sanders grinders miter saw etc.)
Fine woodworking (current issue) has an entire workshop layout with frech cleated cabinets and rolling worktables that you may be referring to.

Warren Clemans
11-16-2007, 6:18 PM
Could it have been online? Sounds like the blog on FWW.com by Matthew Teague. He uses french cleats for cabinets and has lots of rolling base cabinets.

Troy Woodbury
11-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for your responses guys. I think I might be losing my mind.

Now I'm not sure that it was a magazine article. I remember the article was about fabricating shop cabinets. What sticks in my mind is the fact that the shelves and drawers were interchangable and that the base cabinets were on rollers and wall cabinets were cleated to make them all versitile in their locations.

I don't even really care about the article itself anymore, I just want to know that I haven't imagined the whole thing.

Appreciate the help guys.

Jim Becker
11-20-2007, 3:00 PM
Here's the link for the article I mentioned earlier...got it from one of the editors who is a friend of mine. I guess when the web site was, umm...updated...not long ago, the link accidentally went away.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/463.xml

And it looks like they are trying to sell more of the information at this point. Suggest you visit the library and get the original articles...

JayStPeter
11-20-2007, 4:18 PM
Sounds like something I've maybe seen in ShopNotes ... ?maybe?