PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Architectural Woodworking?"

John Pennisi
11-10-2007, 1:42 PM
Forgive my ignorance; I have a basic question: What is the definition of architectural woodworking, as opposed to simple woodworking or fine furniture making? Is this simply a reference to more commercial type cabinet/case making; often done for businesses, etc? Any responses are appreciated!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2007, 1:48 PM
John,

You might try posting this over on the Design Forum too. Mark Singer, the moderator there is an architect.

Mike Henderson
11-10-2007, 2:15 PM
Cerritos College, in their woodworking program, has a course in "Architectural Millwork". It covers making molding and how to do complex trimwork in a house (think REALLY upscale house) including special ceiling treatments like barrel ceilings. I don't know if that's what you meant.

Mike

Mark Singer
11-10-2007, 2:24 PM
Architectural millwork or woodworking is a term used to describe woodworking which is detailed in a set of architectural drawings and is then applied to or installed in the building as opposed to furniture which is free of the building. This could include shelves, paneling, ceilings, moldings, base and casing and cabinets. Usually details are prepared to a large scale to act as shop drawings.

Chuck Lenz
11-10-2007, 3:46 PM
To me architectural woodworking would be like round colums that hold a beam up in a house.

Dixon Peer
11-10-2007, 4:12 PM
Door making, special windows as elliptical, oval, round, entrance frames, modillion blocks, paneling, etc. It would be all kinds of millwork that is specified in architectural drawings, or requested by a client, that "dresses up" a building.

Bob Lang
11-10-2007, 4:17 PM
I spent most of my career in "Architectural Woodworking" and the easiest definition is any thing that is custom made for either a home or commercial project. Usually this is interior stuff as Mark mentioned and it runs the gamut from doors and trim to custom panelling and cabinets. I once had to design an enclosure for a jellyfish tank for a master bathroom.

Bob Lang

Jim Becker
11-10-2007, 4:56 PM
I feel that the work the finish carpenters are doing on my addition would fit into the architectural woodworking definition, both indoors and out. And I've been really amazed at the great attention to getting things right and exact. Getting shadow lines and building up profiles well really results in an outstanding end result, too.

On the same token, the built-in cabinetry I've been doing for the same project also qualifies as it's designed for specific places for permanent installation, rather than being free-standing furniture. This fits the definition that Mark and some others have also mentioned.

Richard Wolf
11-11-2007, 7:55 AM
Let's not forget stair building.

Richard

Jim Becker
11-11-2007, 8:57 AM
Let's not forget stair building.

One of the finest examples, no less!!! :)

Mark Singer
11-11-2007, 9:20 AM
Stair building of course!

Paul Girouard
11-11-2007, 11:45 AM
It's one of those terms that sort of lost / losing it's meaning IMO.

It should be understood in the building trades but ..............:rolleyes:

What Arch. millwork is , is just about anything made of wood (most common product used ) but is not limited to only wood , that trims out / adds to / functions , like say a wall hung coat rack , the interior or exterior of a building and is fixed / attached/ stay with if the building is sold / to said building. Although the item could be free standing and also be built by a millwork shop. Like say a conference table.

In the carpenters union they have a sub- trade of carpenter called a "millworker" most folks would call this person a cabinet-maker , BUT not all cabinetmakers are millworker, and not all millworkers are cabinetmakers.

Millworkers pay rate is lower than site carpenter pay for some reason , generally they say due to weather a millworker should get 40 hr weeks aways a site guy has weather issues so that's the reason they do it that way , or so I've been told.

If you Google it you get a lot of business links , so like I said , it's a term used in the building trades but being lost in the complexities of the English language .

Simple eh :D