PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023 & Bench Dog

Aaron Dunham
11-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Will a Bench Dog 40-031 router table top & 40-016 lift work in a left tilt 1023, or only in a right tilt?

thanks,

-Aaron

Mike Marcade
11-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I can't vouch for it working in your application, but I will give my vote to the bench dog router table top for a very solidly built, very accurate piece of equipment.

I have mine on a right tilt Delta contractors saw.

Art Walker
11-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Will a Bench Dog 40-031 router table top & 40-016 lift work in a left tilt 1023, or only in a right tilt?

The table should install fine on either side (all the drill points on the front/back/machined side-face are symmetric about the front-back midline); but if you want to hang the lift on a L tilt cabinet saw you'll put them on the right side - otherwise the router/lift and motor cover will interfere.

This (and mirror argument) should hold for all of the cabinet saws modeled on the unisaw (and their mirror images). The sears/orion zipcode saws have it slightly different - first, the motor cover is on the R on a L tilt, and second, the motor is entirely inside the cabinet when the blade is vertical.

The nasty workaround for putting the extension on the "wrong side" for your particular saw is to swap in a blank plate while using the saw and open/remove the cover and tilt the blade over as well as lowering it when using the router (in order to get the motor out of the way of the router/lift). Or build yourself a unitized router cabinet/motor cover to hang under the extension, and maybe make the front face out of plexiglass to keep the close quarters of the motor and router/lift visible. Human nature says there will still be Titanic moments when you're cranking a saw handwheel and the router plate starts rising out of the extension table.

Art

glenn bradley
11-10-2007, 12:41 PM
It replaces an extension wing. Pick your side.

Jim Becker
11-10-2007, 5:18 PM

The answer is..."it depends"...on the design of the particular saw. Generally, left-tilt saws have the motor cover on the left and that's generally going to interfere with the router system in some way. If there is enough clearance to allow the router to hang down with the motor cover closed, you might get away with it since you can just lift the lift/router out when you need access to the saw motor. But if the motor cover door sticks out too far, you may not be able to have the router hang down even with the door closed.

Aaron Dunham
11-10-2007, 8:16 PM
The answer is..."it depends"...on the design of the particular saw. Generally, left-tilt saws have the motor cover on the left and that's generally going to interfere with the router system in some way. If there is enough clearance to allow the router to hang down with the motor cover closed, you might get away with it since you can just lift the lift/router out when you need access to the saw motor. But if the motor cover door sticks out too far, you may not be able to have the router hang down even with the door closed.

This is what I was thinking. I'll contact Bench Dog and see if that combo has been test fitted on a 1023 left tilt, unless somebody on here who happens to have that exact setup gets to me first.

Rob Blaustein
11-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I have the same saw and was interested in this as well. I called Bench Dog and as best as I can recall (it was a few yrs ago) the answer was 'not really' at least not without doing some modifications, and I opted to pass. But I can't remember the details. Your plan to give them a call is a good one.