PDA

View Full Version : The Borg?

Jack Briggs
11-10-2007, 8:14 AM
I have seen references in several threads about tool purchases from "The Borg". Can someone tell me what/where the Borg is?

frank shic
11-10-2007, 8:15 AM
home depot or lowe's. they're retail giants that usually swallow up any smaller mom and pop stores in their vicinity like how the borg on star trek would swallow up different worlds.

Doug Shepard
11-10-2007, 8:17 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=33649

Charles Wiggins
11-10-2007, 8:45 AM
You might also see them referred to as 'the Cube' (In Star Trek, the Borg's largest ships are cube-shaped), 'the Big Orange Box', or 'the Big Blue Box'.

glenn bradley
11-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Big Orange Retail Giant referring to Home Depot but generally used to describe any big-box store. Kinda like "hand me a Kleenex" when you really mean a tissue, or using the word Band-Aid when any bandage will do.

John Ricci
11-10-2007, 3:25 PM
You might also see them referred to as 'the Cube' (In Star Trek, the Borg's largest ships are cube-shaped), 'the Big Orange Box', or 'the Big Blue Box'.

Just like on Star Trek, the drones will ignore you until you become a threat to the tranquility of the collective by say, asking for help? Then they spring into action and go on a regenerative cycle (break), not to be seen again in this time/space corridor.

J.R.

Dan Muller
11-11-2007, 7:49 AM
The analogy to the Borg in Star Trek is amusing, but actually not particularly accurate. One of the key characteristics of the Borg was that they assimilated cultures. Home Depot and Lowe's drive many smaller hardware stores out of business, but they don't absorb and rebrand them.

In that sense, the turners in our own Turner's Forum are more like the Borg. Seems like anyone that engages in conversation with them ends up buying a lathe ... I've been resisting the efforts of a member of their collective at my day job for several months now. :)

Bob Oehler
11-11-2007, 8:38 AM
Where I used to live in NJ and go back for visits a new box store opened up and it was very orange looking. It was called village hardware and was like a small BORD box. Well they drove out the old hardware store and then people who used to work at Taylor's Towne Hardware (it's real name)since 1923!. Were now at Village Hardwre (after Taylor's had thier going out of business sale). Well about 6 months after opening Village Hardware became Home Depot. And maybe Taylor's was not asimalted it's employee's were.

Support you local businesses they are there when you need them.

I have a Lumber Dealer (building / construction) and I buy all my wood from him. He is actually compettive is 1.5 miles from my house. And I will tell him a spceific need he accomidates.
Recently I wanted some real nice 2/4's to make a work bench top out of them. He said he would sort through as he sold out of his 12' pile. In 1 week he got word to me that he had some real nice wood for me. When I went to pick it up there was a good sized stack of 2 x 4 x 12 footers with one end beat up an tears in them. But they were strait grained and each had a very good 6' piece in it. He asked me if $1.00 a board was reasonable:eek:. His boys came out and loaded 25 strait clear 2 x4's and the bill 25.00+ tax.

TRY THAT AT THE BORG:rolleyes:.

Take care
Bob Oehler

Jon Lanier
11-11-2007, 8:46 AM
The analogy to the Borg in Star Trek is amusing, but actually not particularly accurate. One of the key characteristics of the Borg was that they assimilated cultures. Home Depot and Lowe's drive many smaller hardware stores out of business, but they don't absorb and rebrand them.

In that sense, the turners in our own Turner's Forum are more like the Borg. Seems like anyone that engages in conversation with them ends up buying a lathe ... I've been resisting the efforts of a member of their collective at my day job for several months now. :)

Resistance is Futile.

Jack Briggs
11-11-2007, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the relpies.

I like the acronym.

As for the Star Trek reference - I only watched the original, but I don't remember a borg on that program.

frank shic
11-11-2007, 10:17 AM
the borg wasn't present on the original star trek. it was introduced on the new generation.

Gary Keedwell
11-11-2007, 10:37 AM
the borg wasn't present on the original star trek. it was introduced on the new generation.
Ahhhhhh That's why I didn't recognize it. Beam me up Scotty:eek:
Gary

Todd Jensen
11-11-2007, 12:51 PM
:eek: Holy Sci Fi Dorks... Interesting...:rolleyes:

Nancy Laird
11-11-2007, 2:12 PM

Dan, it is futile to resist - buy a lathe - buy a lathe - buy a lathe.

Nancy (40 days)

Gary Keedwell
11-11-2007, 3:01 PM
:D I see that writing Nancy. How do you do that? Are you wearing your aluminum hat again:confused: :D
Gary

Rob Bodenschatz
11-11-2007, 3:25 PM
You might also see them referred to as 'the Cube'

I've been visiting WWing boards for a few years & I've never seen them called that. Are you trying to introduce a new term?

:confused:

Dan Muller
11-11-2007, 4:06 PM
Dan, it is futile to resist - buy a lathe - buy a lathe - buy a lathe.

OMG, they've escaped their forum! :eek:

Round things come later, I'm still figuring out how to make boxy things without chiseling my fingers off ... :D