PDA

View Full Version : Woodworks Show in York PA today

Jack Camillo
11-10-2007, 4:54 AM
Wondering if it's worth an hour and a half drive to York today for the Woodworks show. Any machine manufacturers there? (Minimax, for example?) One thing I'd really like to do is try out different bench planes, like Lee Valley and Lie Nielson, but don't know if either of those guys are there either. Website for the show is worthless. Was anyone there yesterday?

Gary Ratajczak
11-10-2007, 6:42 AM
I'm from UpState NY, but was in town this week, so I stayed over to go to the show. As most have gotten, very small. Lee Valley was there, but not any others. No Min-Max either. Just some Jet and Powermatic tools.

Some good free demos on box making and turning. I bought some of the aluminum corner brackets to clamp your work during assembly. They were a good price.

Your call on the drive - 1-1/2 hours is pretty short. I spent about 2 hours there.

Jack Camillo
11-10-2007, 6:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. My pig jeep gets 15 miles to the gallon. It's 70 miles each way. $30 in gas round trip (and heartburn for not working on the honeydo list). Still contemplating...

Jack Camillo
11-11-2007, 5:49 AM
Okay, I went. It was well worth it as Lee Valley had most if not all of their Veritas hand planes on display to play with. Very nice planes indeed. I especially enjoyed the low angle planes, the 10" la smoother and 14 inch la jack. Now I'm trying to decide whether to wait and play with the Lie Nielsons (which in pictures look ALMOST the same) before buying one of the above. Opinions?