PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what I need, PLEASE!!!!!!!

Greg Dykes
11-10-2007, 2:01 AM
This is my first time posting on the turner's forum. I am a jack-of-all-trades kinda guy and have'nt master but a few. I need your help. I know nothing about wood turning. I mean NOTHING.

I want to make turkey pot calls & strikers for myself and as gifts for family and friend's I hunt with. I also have an intrest in turning pens in the furture.

I have been looking at the Jet-Mini and the Rikon lathes. Will you kind folks please tell me the things I need to purchase in order to do these types of projects?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

The first picture below is with me and my step-father. He taught me the art of turkey hunting and I want to make some unique calls for him as a small way of saying thanks.

Alex Elias
11-10-2007, 3:07 AM
Well I'd get
1) Jet VS if possible.
2) A set of turning tools Skew, spindle gouge, scrapers you could get a simple basic set of 5 or so tools and build up according to your needs.
3) Grinder to sharpen your tools 6" or 8" the larger the better. A jig to get a conistent grind (optional but pretty nice to have) I own the wolverine
4) Pen mandrel for the pens. Once you get into to it You can get a a beal chuck for small projects like that, pens, bottle stoppers and such. and other pen making accessories that you don't need but are useful.
Go to CSUSA website and see the things they have for pen making http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/
As far as the call are concerned I have not done any but they don't appear to be difficult, but can't help you there. I think the key to the calls is not so much making them as mauch as tunning them.
Hope it helps

Rich Stewart
11-10-2007, 4:56 AM
I guess the first thing you should get is the free pen turning DVD from Penn State Ind. It'll answer questions you haven't even thought up yet. Check out a package deal too. Pen starter kit. After all the tools you need, you still need sandpaper, finishes.

Tom Sherman
11-10-2007, 6:03 AM
Gregg you might want to look up a turning club in your area, someone there I'm sure would be willing to help you directly with your questions and even lend some assistance with technique and equipment. Either lathe you mentioned would work nicely for the projects you have in mind. By the way welcome to the Creek.

Bonnie Campbell
11-10-2007, 7:21 AM
Making pot calls was my reason for getting my lathe. So I tried keeping it simple (cheap) and did for awhile :rolleyes: I bought a set of the mini chisels from PSI. I tried using the face plate to mount my call, but I like a chuck better (PSI utility chuck). As for the strikers, turn them between centers. I hand sharpened my chisels for 2 years. Finally broke down this fall and bought a grinder. Other stuff needed.... some sort of dust control, respirator and face shield.

John Hart
11-10-2007, 7:39 AM
You'll need some lacquer....spray lacquer...and a closed room with no ventilation. That'll give you the best finish.....I think. (hic):o :)

Greg Dykes
11-10-2007, 2:19 PM
You'll need some lacquer....spray lacquer...and a closed room with no ventilation. That'll give you the best finish.....I think. (hic):o :)

JOHN, I NEED A BIT MORE CLARIFICATION ON THE LACQUER APPLICATION. IS THAT TO BE DRANK, I MEAN SPRAYED STRAIGHT OR THINNED DOWN A BIT?
Bonnie, thanks for the advice. I have seen some of your calls and think you do an outstanding job. I hope that you can give me some guidance when I get started.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2007, 2:24 PM
Greg,

John doesn't drink it.....He just enjoys the effects of the overspray....and he insures there is always overspray!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Go to the AAW site ....find a turning club in your area and attend a meeting. You'll find turners by nature are an extremely friendly group. Club member will most likely invite you to come to their shops...give a few lessions and allow you to see and use their equipment. Thus you can buy your equipment based on your experience and their experience.

Bill Stevener
11-10-2007, 3:16 PM
OK, what you need. Lets see if I can get the priorities in the proper order.

1) If you are married, a very, very understanding wife.

2) If you are not and plan on it some day, see no. 1.

3) Forget all other interests and or hobbies, they will
only collect chips and dust.

4) If you don't have any at this time, see no. 3

5) If you have a credit card, burn it.

6) If you plan on getting a credit card, see no. 5.

7) Consider a very large work area.

8) If you don't have one, see no. 7 and build it first.

9) Get to know a lot of folks with a lot of money, that's
what they will need.

10) Plan on spending most of your time alone in the
lacquer zone.

The above is a start, now get out and buy a lathe and get turning.
Have fun.

Marvin Hasenak
11-10-2007, 4:51 PM
I have a lot of years making these turkey calls and other calls, about 40 plus of them, If you want to turn turkey pots and strikers along with pens. All you NEED is

Mentor to help you get started.

Mini lathe, check Amazon they have been having some super sales on Jet Minis and Delta Midis, you do not NEED variable speed, that is a $100 luxury

Chisels, best bet while learning is the Harbor Freight set of 8 HSS for around $40

Utility chuck with with a screw adapter, PSI has a pretty good one.

Sharpening system, try Bonnie's whetstone to start with or buy a grinder.

Sandpaper with grits all the way to at LEAST 600.

Finish, stick to polyurethane at first, use a 50/50 mix of Minwax Fast Drying for the first 2 coats so you can dip them.

Pen mandrel, Check out PSI's mandrel that has the adjustable collet end. Best for the buck.

Pen kits, get the slimlines for learning.

Wood, lots of wood, cheap wood to practice with, the good stuff when you think you know what you are doing.

I am sending you a PM.

Marvin

Nancy Laird
11-10-2007, 8:06 PM
Greg, check out this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68181

Nancy (41 days)

Bill Hunt
11-10-2007, 8:33 PM
Gregg,
Go to Custom Calls Online. there are forums and a list of suppliers. I buy my slate from Brookside Game Calls and have my glass cut locally. I use several different woods for both the pots and the strikers. Pot calls make excellent gifts. So far this year I have made about 50 and have sold most of them. I donate some as door prizes at wild game dinners, etc.it's good advertising.

The lathe and tool have been pretty much covered. I use minwax spar varnish for the finish.

If I can help you let me know.

Bil Hunt

John Hart
11-10-2007, 8:33 PM
NEVER thin your lacquer!!!! That takes all the fun out of it.:)

Seriously though...don't thin it. It dries quickly and you can recoat in ten minutes without sanding. However...If you intend on buffing, you should wait until it fully cures (4-6 days depending on the weather)

RL Johnson
11-11-2007, 10:14 AM
MONEY! Lots of money. the vortex will take all you have and then some.