PDA

View Full Version : Laguna 18/47 Lathe

Thomas Canfield
11-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Does anyone have any information about this new lathe? The price and promotion looks attractive, but being a new product from China one has to give it some extra thought. I can't find any literature and the Laguna website does not have very much for specifications. At my age, I don't think I want to help work out all the wrinkles of a new product, but am very interested in upgrading to something of this size, and it would set in the driveway for about 2/3 cost of a Powermatic 3520b.

One big concern would be the motor and variable speed drive. The Laguna sales person told me today that it was built by the Chinese company manufacturing the lathe.

Gene Kennedy
11-10-2007, 12:01 AM
I know a guy on the left coast that is actually going to be able to go to Laguna's facility and test drive one of these new units either this weekend or next. When he reports back with the skinny on this machine I'll get him to offer up some input and will post it here for you.

John Shuk
11-10-2007, 6:30 AM
My experience with Laguna tells me to avoid new models. I bought an "early in the model life" bandsaw and it was alot of trouble.
Laguna seems to want to get a hold of some of the turning market from what I have seen the last few years and the tools they have marketed to turners aren't really thought out from a turner's perspective in my opinion.
Maybe the new lathe is.

Thomas Canfield
11-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Gene,

I had another call from the Laguna sales person today and someone was supposed to be there "testing" the unit for a write-up. It is a little scary when you cannot get any specifications for a machine of that price. It looks a lot like the Jet 1642, but looks can really be deceiving. I read on one site that the spindle travel is only 2" for the Laguna which is very short for that size machine. The "free" chuck that they show with the machine is listed with metric threads which I had also read were supposed to be changing to the more normal 1 1/4" thread.

Hopefully Laguna will get something together soon or your friend will have some good details from his visit. It looks like a "dressed -out" Jet 1642 2 HP which is really bumping the cost of the Powermatic 3520b and coming up short on the diameter and weight. It just seems the decisions don't get any easier, and the footprint of all of the lathes really crowds a shop built that started out to do flat work and small mini-lathe work.

Pete Jordan
11-11-2007, 7:40 AM
Buy a Mustard and don't look back.

Thomas Canfield
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Pete,

You are probably right. I have had the mustard with 18" bed extension and Tool Post Extension in a shopping cart for several weeks and waiting until closer to Thanksgiving to order. Everyone talks about the weight of the tailstock and suggest the bed extension to get the tailstock out of the way and keep from "hoisting" that brute. The footprint and weight are some concerns with the Powermatic, but it looks like the way to go. I tore the bicep muscle in my left arm about 4 years ago and have limited strength lifting that is only decreasing with age, and the heavy tailstock might be an issue, but then I installed a 2 HP Onida cyclone dust collector and ductwork by myself and might resort to a hoist for the tailstock like used to install the cyclone.The swing away on the Vicmark looks good for that.

I'll keep hoping that there is some more information coming out on the Laguna in the next week or so. You would think that any new product coming out would have some improvements to make it attractive over the current models beside the color of paint, and introductory pricing should be attractive to get some on the street to help the work of mouth advertisement.

Talking to local club members, they are in the dark also but have some interest, and there are several that would like to step up but not ready for the mustard.

Any information would be appreciated.

Allen Neighbors
11-11-2007, 11:00 PM
I always ignored those who said, "You get what you pay for." That has made the actual price of my Oneway 1640 about 6 grand. If I hadn't bought the cheapies first, I would have been much better off, financially and/or toolwise. :)
Now the real reason for the post: There are some write-ups on different forums about making your own Swinging Tailstock. It might pay to do a search or two... it would help your bad arm out of a bind. :)

JerHall
11-12-2007, 1:03 AM
is here: http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_31hpg89x&revision=_latest

Thomas Canfield
11-13-2007, 12:29 AM
JerHall,

Thanks a bunch and I am sure others are thankful also. There are a lot of good ideas there. I'm still holding off the mustard order to check out the Laguna more, but it looks like there are several ideas better than a block and tackle. Thanks again.

Gene Kennedy
11-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Thomas (or anyone else for that matter) - PM or email me and I'll send you a link to the summary of what the guys thought about the new lathe at Laguna.

Rick Beko
11-13-2007, 1:37 AM
Gene, how about posting the feedback on the Laguna? I am sure there are a few interested folks and that is the point of the forum.

Gene Kennedy
11-13-2007, 1:56 AM
Gene, how about posting the feedback on the Laguna? I am sure there are a few interested folks and that is the point of the forum.

I would like to do that, but the information would be taken from another forum and I don't think they'd appreciate it if I snatched their information, and on the other side of the coin, posting a link to the information would be in violation of SMC'c TOS.

You are right about folks being interested in the information, but I really don't want to upset anyone either.

Scott Hubl
11-13-2007, 2:08 AM
Hi Gene,
I sent you a PM. I would like the link for the Laguna Lathe summary , I saw this on there site and was thinking of upgrading my Jet 1442. But want alot more info before i'd jump.

Thanks

Justin Bukoski
11-13-2007, 5:17 PM
Does naming the other forum violate the TOS?

David Fried
11-14-2007, 3:45 PM
Does naming the other forum violate the TOS?

Just thinking about another forum violates the TOS :eek:

Burt Alcantara
11-14-2007, 4:01 PM
Another interested reader!

Burt

JerHall
11-14-2007, 4:58 PM
This must be the secret, unpublished, silliness appendix to the TOS. Post the forum name and summarize the findings for crianoutloud! The turner community is all about sharing and collaboration,,,isn't it?

Rick Beko
11-14-2007, 8:55 PM
I find it odd that we cannot share information amongst forums. I understand not being able to solicit but this is just sharing information. If you search "laguna 18/47 lathe" using google you will find a turners forum with more info on this topic.

Andy Hoyt
11-14-2007, 9:03 PM
Name the forum and thread title so we can find it

As long as you don't paste the URL or an actual link here, you'll be ok.

Scott Hubl
11-14-2007, 9:30 PM
Still waiting for Gene to reply to the PM I sent so I can read the info.

Neal Addy
11-14-2007, 9:31 PM
Good grief, another TOS conflict? That's going to be the bane of this board.

The link referred to is on the "Woodturner's Resource" message board under "Tool Talk".

It's silly that we can mention it but not link to it.

Andy, that isn't directed at you.

Scott Hubl
11-14-2007, 9:32 PM
THANK YOU NEAL!:D I'll go read now.

Rick Beko
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I am assuming this is it.

site: woodturnersresource dot com
Title: New Kid on the (lathe) block...

EDDIE GLAZE
11-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Type In Laguna 18/47 Wood Lathe.on Google. Or Internet. Hit Search. Go To, Wr.woodturning Forum. You Will Get The Info On The Laguna Lathe....... Happy Turning

Phil St.Germain
11-15-2007, 12:54 PM
I requested info on this new lathe and received a nice package of brochures on all of their tools except the new lathe. Yesterday I received a call from a sales rep telling me the $1699 price is good till the end of the month, but there are only two lathes in the country right now, one a demo machine and the other may or may not have a deposit on it. a $500 deposit will hold one of the next shipment coming in sometime next month. He also could not tell me what the final specs on the machine will be. I think I will pass on an unknown Chinese machine.

John Shuk
11-15-2007, 8:53 PM
I am assuming this is it.

site: woodturnersresource dot com
Title: New Kid on the (lathe) block...

This is the proper way to get people to another forum.
The TOS forbids a bunch of negative attacks on other forums as well as direct links to other forums.
There is nothing wrong with mentioning a forum name, a thread title, or a subject.

Thomas Canfield
11-16-2007, 1:42 AM
The MUSTARD won out. I gave up trying to get any real information and delivery on the Laguna, and ordered the Mustard for delivery with the turkey. Now to clean a space for it in the shop and dispose of a Jet 1236. Guess that will mean sending a picture at some point, but all there is for now is a order number.

Thanks for the input and interest, and hopefully Laguna will fair well with their new machine.

Dennis Richardson
07-11-2009, 2:07 AM
I am thinking about buying the laguna 18/47 lathe, but looking for any input from my fellow Sawmill Creek wood workers. Comments, whether negative or positive about the 18/47 or Laguna Tools, would be most appreciated!!! Be well. Dennis

Scott Hubl
07-11-2009, 5:50 AM
Dennis,
I ended up buying the GOLD Powermatic 3520B after hearing a bunch of negatives on the laguna lathe itself and heard of Bad customer service.

Search the web, early on they had some Issues with the lathe and customer service if I remember right, and only 2 or 2 1/2 inch tailstock travel compared to 4 inches on the 3520B.

Look on the Woodturners Resource forum for a thread "New Kid on the (lathe) block..." It's long, but at the time I watched it, and decided the laguna was Not for me.

I just wasn't willing to -take a chance- with my money on it.

Maybe by now these Issues have been addressed by laguna? :confused:

I don't know but at the time I was looking, they weren't. So that left me with a bad feeling about laguna tools in general, their loss not mine. As I will shop elsewhere for other machines and avoid them all together.

The 3520B has a GOOD long standing reputation and very Good Customer Service from WHM Tool Group, those 2 things, for me at least, made my choice of the 3520B a Very Good choice.
Not sure what the price differences are Today between them, but at the time I bought it was around $500.00? (comparing prices of Just the lathes no other options at the time) and I thought the 3520B had more to offer me for that.
I paid from Tool Nut-
Powermatic 3520B $2,492.00
Remote Switch $89.99
18" Bed Extension with Tool Rest Assembly $169.00
RH Tool Rest (inside curved) $89.99
2 DVD's $0.00
^ those items competed with the "value pack" from Osolnik.
Dust Port Assembly 69.99
2" Spindle Extension $89.99
~$2,999.97~
There was also a $100.00 mail in rebate at the time. (March 2008)
Final Price After Rebate $2,899.97
Pricing Includes Drop Ship, Lift Gate and Residential Fee.(FREE)

I had 6 or 7 lathes(at the same time) and did over a years research on which lathe I wanted to upgrade too and most likely be MY last lathe purchased, I could have spent 5-6 grand at the time as well but for me and my turning, Hobby, the 3520B fit me Perfectly and I have absolutely NO regrets in purchasing it over buying any other lathe that I could have bought on up too $6 grand.

I turned on Oneways largest lathe and it was Fully optioned out, Nice lathe I can't fault it, but it was just Not the lathe for me.

The 3520B just had what I myself wanted in a lathe and gave the most Bang for my buck.

Gordon Seto
07-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Dennis,
If you like to gamble, it's your choice.
If the price difference is only $500 as Scott said, that's a easy decision for me. WHM provides 5 years solid warranty. They have a reputation of bending backwards treating their customers right. For $100 a year for a peace in mind is worth every penny.
In addition, the 3520 is a B model. A lot of units has been in service, all the weaknesses were already been exposed and revised in B. You can still get a lemon, but that chance is lower than the unknown.
No offense, the reviews of a handful units don't have enough data to show the statistics. I won't be comfortable making decision on them.
There are a lot of 3520, but very few in the 2nd hand market. If there is one, the resale price is very firm and being sold quick. You may pay a little more up front, but I doubt both has the same depreciation.
There is also the uncertainty of parts supply in the future.
I don't think comparing it to a Mustard is a fair comparison. I am not in the market for a lathe. If I am, I would take a Jet 1642 even it is $500 higher. That's just me.
I am not a betting person. When I bought the extended warranties; I was throwing the money away. When I didn't, things always broke the month after the factory or extended warranties ran out. Hope you are a lucky guy.

Scott Hubl
07-11-2009, 5:46 PM
Gordon, as I said That price difference was back around March 2008 and most likely even earlier as I was put off by lagunas reported customer service way before then. I did contact laguna by email and phone and had all the glossy tool catalogs sent to me. Salemen start emailing and calling you after that.:mad: Finally told them I had already bought something else.
I still get emails from them.

I got a Great deal at the time on my 3520B because I shopped around at 7 or 8 places and then some, and Then called toolnut with my Best price that they beat by $120.00 at that time.

I don't know how much either one, the 3520B or the laguna lathes are selling for Today, so that could be a wider price difference Today.

Once you make your up your mind and actually buy, you stop looking at how much they are.

Just don't want someone to start saying that theres no way its only a 500.00 difference today for them, as I meant when I bought thats about how much it was. Again I bought my 3520B way back in March 2008.

The 5 year warranty and Good forum reviews of Powermatics/Jets Customer Service AND the Fact that I hear alot of people even out of warranty getting a replacement part Free of charge was also a BIG factor in buying the 3520B.

Not to mention it's one he77 of a good lathe for the size weight and cost.
Best Bang For The Buck. In it's class.:D

Dennis Richardson
07-15-2009, 2:46 AM
Thanks to those that provided input. If it were only a $500 delta between the 18/47 and the PM3580b it would be a no brainer. But PM has raised the price to close to $2,900 and Laguna is priced in the $1,700 range and negotiated as part of the $1700 a 5" chuck ($300) and an outboard turning attachment ($145) allowing me to turn up to 24" platters or bowls. The $1,200 delta would have been more after buying the chuck. Laguna having 2HP, variable speed coupled with the other specs, it looks to be a great buy. Time will certainly tell!

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to buy the PM3580, but right now spending money when business is way off is not prudent, especially as this is a hobby and not for a living.

I hope that I can provide one of the more positive email feedbacks on the 18/47 within a month or two.......and beyond. Again, many thanks!!!

Dick Strauss
07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Dennis,
Don't forget to consider the Jet 1642 that is close to the Laguna price though it does have a little less swing. Outboard turning solves that for the rare occassion that you need it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I definitely would look at the Jet 1642 before the 18/47. 5 yr warranty and great customer service.