PDA

View Full Version : Bookcase weight

Dan Stuewe
02-11-2004, 4:01 PM
I'm at the beginning of designing a bookcase for our living room. It will probably be made from plywood with hardwood trim/face frame. Probably around 4' wide by 16" deep and between 5' and 5.5' tall. What would be a good rough estimate on what this will weigh? Additionally, what about when it is fully loaded?

Next question: Other than the 9301 series, does Accuride (or anyone else for that matter) make ball bearing slides that are 4' long? (and can handle the potential weight from question 1)

Thanks,

Robert Ducharme
02-11-2004, 5:10 PM
I am a little confused about the need for 4' slides? Are you thinking of a file cabinet and not bookcase? If bookcase with sliding shelves, you only need about 16" deep.

Richard Allen
02-11-2004, 5:21 PM
What if you wanted a bookcase to cover a doorway? Or not.

Hey Dan what gives?

Dan Stuewe
02-11-2004, 7:10 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to push for more details (not long!)

The picture shows where the bookcase will go, to the left of the fireplace. The area behind the fireplace is the stairs and underneath is empty space. What my wife and I have thought about for some time is to finish the space under the stairs and put a door in this location. Of course that would look kinda funny in the living room, so we've thought that having a door/entry hidden by a bookcase would be cool. So anyway, I thought, using the long glides available from Accuride I could build a simple bookcase that basically acted like a drawer that opens into the space. I think the 4' length is enough to give a 2' opening which should be enough for the kids...I mean adults. (as a design note, I was thinking of building a fake case with moulding and base that would look like part of the bookcase when the "door" is closed.)

Chris Padilla
02-11-2004, 8:04 PM
Neat idea...I likes it! :D

Todd Burch
02-12-2004, 1:29 AM
Have you looked at Rixson hardware? (http://www.rixson.com/) With their hardware, you could probably make the bookcase a concealed door instead of a "drawer".

Todd

Tyler Howell
02-12-2004, 9:48 AM
I've been trying to come up with a simular Idea for the new EC so I can access the back for routing cable and a hidden closet.
Piviot on Casters is the current answer to my qwest. Now I want it to be motor driven (with a remote control) A lot of time on my hands!:p Thanks Todd Rixson might be the missing link.

Dan Stuewe
02-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Have you looked at Rixson hardware? (http://www.rixson.com/) With their hardware, you could probably make the bookcase a concealed door instead of a "drawer".

Todd

Todd, thanks for the link. I was originally thinking along those lines, but one of the things I just can't get my brain around is accounting for the width and the swing (I'm not sure I can describe what I'm struggling with, so bare with me). Basically I'd like the bookcase to look built-in. I've been working under the assumption that only a portion of the bookcase would move, that way I wouldn't have to pivot almost 5' of bookcase (seeing some of the ratings from rixson, that may not be an issue). Anyway, I kept thinking that if I swing a 16" thick "door" I'd have to account for the arc the corners will follow which would make the area around the moving bookcase too much offset from either the wall or the part of the bookcase next to it. (With a 30" wide x 16" deep bookcase the corner opposite the hinge point will move in an arc 34" in radius.) Make any sense?

Dennis Peacock
02-12-2004, 1:08 PM
I've been trying to come up with a simular Idea for the new EC so I can access the back for routing cable and a hidden closet.
Piviot on Casters is the current answer to my qwest. Now I want it to be motor driven (with a remote control) A lot of time on my hands!:p Thanks Todd Rixson might be the missing link.

Tyler,

I have your solution for ya.......

Put the EC on a moving platform.
Cut a hole in the floor and use that for the moving platform.
Mount that floor piece on steel rails under the floor.
Use steam to power the engines to move the platform and the EC out so you can run the cables. :)
This would allow you to heat the house with steam AND move the EC as often as you like :D

Running, ducking and hiding...... :D

Richard Allen
02-12-2004, 1:34 PM
Hi Dan

If you look at the doors on your house they have an angle on the latch side.

To maintain the builtin look leave the top of the bookcase in place and swing the rest. The frame in front should be wide enough to account for the swing.

Jamie Buxton
02-12-2004, 3:43 PM
Dan --
How 'bout this? Drop the moving bookcase idea, which you say you invented to cover a door. Instead, panel the wall behind the fireplace. I don't mean just flat sheets of plywood, I mean that fancy frame-and-panel approach used in high-end libraries. With all that wood and texture on the wall, you can hide your access door in it.

Jamie

Tyler Howell
02-12-2004, 6:12 PM
Tyler,

I have your solution for ya.......

Put the EC on a moving platform.
Cut a hole in the floor and use that for the moving platform.
Mount that floor piece on steel rails under the floor.
Use steam to power the engines to move the platform and the EC out so you can run the cables. :)
This would allow you to heat the house with steam AND move the EC as often as you like :D

Running, ducking and hiding...... :D

Yes my friend, Just wait. When Global Warming hits full stride we'll be the only ones with refridgeration!