PDA

View Full Version : How square is square enough?

Jim Izat
03-04-2003, 10:00 AM
I've been working on the sled feet and legs of my new bench/assembly table and have run into a challenge. The finished dimensions of the sled feet and legs are on the order of 4x5 inches and I've had a devil of a time getting the blanks four square. The usual method of face joint, edge joint, use the table saw to get the other side parallel and plane won't entirely work because the blanks are too large to cut on my unisaw. (they're also too large to end square on my 12" Dewalt cms but that's another question). I've been able to get three of the four sides square but the four is off maybe a 64th over the five inches of width.

I'm open to suggestions on how to square up the last side from the collected wisdom of the creek.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Izat

Keith Melick
03-04-2003, 10:14 AM
Jim

My method on posts, joint one side useing that side against jointer fene joint one adjacent side then use surface planer to dimention and sqare up other two sides. You didn't mention planer so maybe you don't have one. In that case hand plane and a lot of patience.

Lars Thomas
03-04-2003, 10:17 AM
I can't even distinguish between the 1/64" lines on the ruler anymore. So, I'd just call it square and move on. I would imagine the legs will have a stretcher of some sort. I wouldn't think you'd have any difficulty mortising in the stretcher with such a slight difference.

OTOH, you could use a jack plane and take off a few thou from that bad corner.