PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have pics of unique shelving or storage of tools?

Bill Wyko
11-09-2007, 7:16 PM
It's taking me longer to build my shelving than it took to build the shop itself. I was curious if anyone had any unique storage for tools like turning accessories or routers or anything for that matter. I have a few ideas I'm going to implement but the more ideas the better.:)

Don Hein
11-09-2007, 8:08 PM
Plastic motor oil containers and tofu boxes are recycled to be storage trays. On the tofu boxes, some knobs are bits of dowel, others are wooden beads from an old car seat cover.

Charles Wiggins
11-09-2007, 11:25 PM
but it keeps the dust off and it only took a day to build. I made it with adjustable shelves so I could tailor the space to the tools. I have an 'open' version in the garage with no bottom shelf so I can roll the lawnmower underneath.

Justin McCurdy
11-10-2007, 9:02 AM
I just designed and built this one. The two sides that are not shown mirror those shown exactly. The center shelf on each side is fixed, but all others are adjustable. I think it takes about 6 sheets of plywood with almost no waste along with 5 casters (3 fixed, two locking). If you want the sketchup model, let me know and I can email it to you.

frank shic
11-10-2007, 9:17 AM
don, i thought only chinese people ate that much tofu! great use of the tubs BTW.

Ken Glass
11-10-2007, 9:47 AM
Bill,
Here is what I have used for several years. It is a modified version of a design I saw in shop notes some years back. If I am producing a lot of small dust particles, I just close the doors.

Russell Tribby
11-10-2007, 11:33 AM
These aren't for tool storage but they work great for me for holding my screws and odd stuff. They were simple to make and they make use of otherwise wasted space below the cabinet.

Alan Schaffter
11-10-2007, 11:55 AM
See my response to the workbench thread. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68822)

Bill Wyko
11-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Thanks everyone, keep em coming. I have very little space to work in so I need to utilize space as efficiently as possible. Thank you all so much. Nice stuff too.

Steve Mellott
11-10-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't have any pictures, but I bought some used steel gondola shelving from a drug store that was going out of business. 4' wide, approximately 6-7 feet tall with 14" deep shelves. Very heavy duty and free standing - no need to bolt it to the wall. $40 per unit. I use it to store lumber, tools, etc.

Steve

Kevin Dube
11-10-2007, 5:41 PM
Storage Solutions as requested.

Drill press with removaeble clamp storage rack - TS Blade storage on back panel of swingable TS accesories Board. View also of full sheet above ground plywood storage rack.

74952 74953

Front of TSaccesories storage board. - Leigh FMT storage as well as Bessey Clamp storage (right) and socket set storage behind top row of Bessey's.

74954 74955

Side Front view of DP set up.

Kevin

Kevin Dube
11-10-2007, 5:46 PM
Fold away Lathe station with Lathe tools/accesories storage.

74958 74959

74960 74961 74962

Kevin

Dirk Lewis
11-10-2007, 6:17 PM
I just designed and built this one. The two sides that are not shown mirror those shown exactly. The center shelf on each side is fixed, but all others are adjustable. I think it takes about 6 sheets of plywood with almost no waste along with 5 casters (3 fixed, two locking). If you want the sketchup model, let me know and I can email it to you.

Hey Kevin - I like that and wouldn't mind giving that a whirl. Just started playing with sketch-up so I'd be interested in seeing your version of this.

Thanks,
D

willie sobat
11-10-2007, 8:48 PM
Tool cabinet with drawers on far side of shop. I'm working on open shelving to mach above and hand tools.

Scott Rollins
11-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Kevin that is the best Idea I have ever seen for a lathe cover...is it too low for easy use? Just curious before I try to hide it under a table.

Kevin Dube
11-11-2007, 1:18 AM
Kevin that is the best Idea I have ever seen for a lathe cover...is it too low for easy use? Just curious before I try to hide it under a table.

The table top with the lathe hidden is 42 inches above the ground. The table top acts as a tabletop of course, and also as an outfeed for the router table.

When the lathe is extended the lathe's base is 34 inches above the floor and the spindle ends up being a little higher than elbow height.

Kevin

Bart Leetch
11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
So how big is your shop. I asked this question because I've discovered that putting doors on a large cabinets in a small shop where material is leaned up against what ever surface is available is not a good idea. Why? Because you may have to lean the material out to get something out of the cabinet & then you'll still have to open a door which may not open all the way because just leaning the material out won't give it enough room to do so & you only have so many hands. I would like doors but don't have them for this reason.

This particular cabinet made a big difference in organization in my shop, it has most of the smaller tools & other items used in the shop on its shelves. Simple it good. When I get into a bigger shop I plan on at least 2 more such cabinets 1 will be for turning tools & wood. This one is 5' wide & just short of the 7'10" ceiling made in 2 sections that can be un-screwed at the middle vertical joint & moved. I actually plan to make another cabinet just like it as soon as I find out I will be moving so I can set it up in the new empty shop & just transfer the items in the current cabinet to the new one & then move the old cabinet. I just hate not being able to find an item or tool & moving is stressful enough without having to hunt for something.

Charles Wiggins
11-12-2007, 9:27 AM
Bill,

You might also want to check out the Shop Tours Website (http://www.shoptours.org/). I've gotten lots of ideas there (now if I could only scare up the money to make them a reality :rolleyes:).

Mike Pierson
11-12-2007, 10:09 AM
not really for turning...but i used the little red drawers from lee valley (come in multiple sizes) on both my miter saw stand and the drill press stand.... they work good for hardware and little tool parts (router bits, drill bits, etc). This design was adapted from an article in FWW Tools and Shops a few years back...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mjpierson/400217256/in/set-72157594552804821/