PDA

View Full Version : Walnut/Cherry branches as turning stock?

Justin Bukoski
11-09-2007, 3:35 PM
I'm fairly new to turning so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. My parents have a farm in Michigan and they recently sold some walnut trees and cherry trees. After the loggers came they left the branches, some of which are 8-10" around. Now I know that branches are no good for cutting into lumber because of the internal stresses but are they ok for turning stock or will the stresses make warped forms?

Jim Becker
11-09-2007, 4:04 PM
Oh, yea.....nice stuff. Grab all you can.

George Guadiane
11-09-2007, 4:09 PM
I'm fairly new to turning so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. My parents have a farm in Michigan and they recently sold some walnut trees and cherry trees. After the loggers came they left the branches, some of which are 8-10" around. Now I know that branches are no good for cutting into lumber because of the internal stresses but are they ok for turning stock or will the stresses make warped forms?
You need to seal the ends of the pieces, to reduce cracking through the pith... I sometimes use CA glue right in the center area.
You can half turn vase forms and let them sit for a while and dry and warp, then turn them a second time to true them up... Personally, I usually let the wood go where it wants to and just put a nice finish on it.
For bark edge blanks, cut the pith out at your earliest convenience and keep the ends sealed.

OH!!!!!!!!!
If you have the chance, gather up the crotch area pieces, the figure there, particularly in cherry and walnut can be STUNNING. If you are not in a club, join one and get help with how to best manage those pieces, till you get the hang of it.

Dan Forman
11-09-2007, 4:50 PM
For turning spindles, such as tool handles and such, do you need to cut the pith out, or can you turn as is (in the round)?

Dan

John Hart
11-09-2007, 5:42 PM
You bet!!! Get 'em cut and sealed right away...walnut don't waste no time crackin'.

This is a pic of my steady rest...but the bowl is from a 10" limb like you describe. They're great for NE bowls for sure.

George Guadiane
11-09-2007, 5:52 PM
For turning spindles, such as tool handles and such, do you need to cut the pith out, or can you turn as is (in the round)?

Dan
Pith increases the chance of cracking SIGNIFICANTLY, I would STRONGLY recommend making handles without the pith.

Justin Bukoski
11-09-2007, 6:08 PM
Thanks guys. One of the first things I did when I started turning was make tool handles out of a large chunk of 8/4 Cocobolo I had lying around. Awesome stuff.

Anyway, those branches are probably going to lay on the ground for a few months until I can fly out there and chop them up into sizes I can ship to myself.

Dan Forman
11-09-2007, 7:52 PM
Pith increases the chance of cracking SIGNIFICANTLY, I would STRONGLY recommend making handles without the pith.

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Justin get'em and turn'em. It doesn't make any difference if the pith is in it. I turn a lot of branches into Hollow Forms. If the pith is in the bottom just soak it with CA or Epoxy cocktail and it will be fine.