PDA

View Full Version : I love freecycle!

Jason Christenson
11-09-2007, 2:34 PM
I picked this up today off of freecycle, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using one of these to dry bowl blanks?

Thanks in advance.
Jason

Did I mention that I love freecycle? I've gotten a ton of wood from there too.

Bill Stevener
11-09-2007, 2:43 PM
Personally I think it's a bit of overkill. I would think you may wind up with charcoal. Now that's some wood I have yet to try turning. :confused:

John Hart
11-09-2007, 3:33 PM
I bet it would work if you didn't turn it on. But I've tried drying roughed out bowls near very low heat and they cracked as if cracking was some kind of goal that I was after! I think it just removes the moisture too quickly and the wood get scared. :eek:

Jason Christenson
11-09-2007, 3:50 PM
I bet it would work if you didn't turn it on.

Don't turn it on eh'? The truth is at this point I don't even know if it works!

Jason

Brendan Zimmermann
11-09-2007, 3:55 PM
dude is that a pottery kiln? I'd suspect it would be way overkill for wood.

However it if works and you don't need/want it I have a potter friend who is just starting out. Might be willing to part with a bit of $$.:D

Cheers
Brendan

Jason Christenson
11-09-2007, 4:14 PM
Might be willing to part with a bit of $$.:D

How big a bit?:D

Brodie Brickey
11-09-2007, 6:14 PM
There was an article in either the American Woodturner or Woodturning Design about using an old refrigerator as a kiln to dry your bowls. You put a light bulb in with the wood and maintained a constant temp.

Food for thought.

Allen Neighbors
11-09-2007, 8:41 PM
I have two old refrigerators that I use for drying bowls and blanks. It works sometimes... sometimes it doesn't. But I'm glad I have them, because one of them does help keep the blanks from cracking before I turn them.