PDA

View Full Version : alumamark

Craig Hogarth
11-09-2007, 1:27 PM
I've never used this before and don't have any on hand. How do you cut it? Is it good for outside applications?

Joe Pelonio
11-09-2007, 1:48 PM
Alumamark is kind of a pain to cut, unless you have a small metal sheer.

The marking is not quite as black as it would be on the plastic laminates or with cermark on bare metal, but it's OK.

It's meant for indoors only.

David Zurick
11-09-2007, 1:50 PM
Not sure about the durability outdoors, I use it for awards and name tags mostly. The best way to cut it is with a metal shear. I dont have one so I found the cleanest cutting method is to use a steel ruler as a guide and score the material with a utility knife. After you score it a few times on one side, it snaps right off. I sometimes get a burr on the edge of the thicker material and I just roll it back over with a smooth round stone I have laying around here. Alumamark has a website you can go to and find out about the outdoor durability of it.

Craig Hogarth
11-09-2007, 2:09 PM
There's a car club in my area where everyone makes custom trailers. They want ID plates on all trailers with no specific size or shape, at least not for now. Any ideas?

Mike Null
11-09-2007, 2:11 PM
I just did some in anodized aluminum. Anodized holds up well outside by the way.

Brian Conklin
11-09-2007, 2:19 PM
Craig,

I like using Alumamark other than the colors offered. I use a shear to cut mine but there are small plates and circles available already cut for your use.

Joe,

I have no problem getting a jet black mark on Alumamark.....on the gold and bronze I use 65p 100s on my 30 W. On the silver I use less power (usually around 24p).

Other than wanting a color more like my engraving brass and the tendancy to bend too easily I really like engraving this stuff. I would use more of it if the colors weren't so harsh.

David Zurick
11-09-2007, 2:20 PM
Tapplastics.com makes a diamond tread acrylic that might look and work good for a trailer application. Just a thought.

Craig Hogarth
11-09-2007, 6:47 PM
I just did some in anodized aluminum. Anodized holds up well outside by the way.

I didn't think about that. I have some small anodized aluminum plates. They want black lettering so I'll engrave the background out. Do you think the small letters will hold up against the elements?

James Rambo
11-09-2007, 7:17 PM
I agree with Brian. I use alumamark for locker name plate for the local surgery center. (DOCTORS LIKE TO SEE THEIR NAME IN BOLD PRINT). I get a dark black mark. I also bought a shear to cut it.

Alexander James
11-09-2007, 7:56 PM

I have been advised that anodized aluminum is not for outdoor use since it will fade. Can you elaborate on your outdoor use experience with it?

Alex

Mike Null
11-09-2007, 9:17 PM
Most of the anodized I do is the black which engraves to an off white color. I have some outdoors which is over 6 years old and still looks good. It is also the material of choice for the Missouri Botanical Gardens which uses literally hundreds of these signs for the outdoor gardens.