PDA

View Full Version : Used Grizz Jointer & Planer... Should I?

Eric DeSilva
11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
I've been looking for a jointer and a planer for my new shop, an found a guy selling an older Grizz 6" jointer and a 15" planer... He had 'em listed for $275 and $550 respectively. I talked to him, and he noted they are about 7 years old, lightly used, but both have some blade nicks. My reference is that I can get a brand spankin' new 6" jointer and 15" planer delivered to my door with a warranty from Grizz for $1300 (given my druthers, I probably also would go with a slightly higher end parallelogram jointer w/spiral cutters). I offered him $650 for the pair, thinking I could use some of the difference to get a spiral cutter for the jointer (I'm assuming I can get a spiral cutter for this thing). Would I be stupid to pay $650, getting a great deal for $650, or somewhere in between?

Al Killian
11-09-2007, 3:45 PM
I would find out what the exact condtion of these machines and what model they are. Second inspect the machines for wear and tear. Give grizzly a call to see if parts are still available for them. At seven years old they could be ready for a overhual, which could end up costing more then if just went and bought new.

Dennis Ford
11-09-2007, 5:51 PM
I have an older 6" Grizzly jointer and a not-so-old (~1 year) 15" Grizzly planer. These have been very good machines for me. I often wish for a longer bed on the jointer but otherwise its fine. Assuming they are in decent condition, $650 would be a very good deal.
;)