PDA

View Full Version : how to change sdram cas latency time

Sean Hughes
11-09-2007, 12:15 PM
Please help!!!! I'm working on my parents old computer. Their power pack blew up. Simple change right.....wrong. I swapped in a new power supply. It starts up, does a memory test and the comes up and says "suggested sdram cas latency time is "3"". I try to press the delete key to enter the bios to make the necessary adjustments, but it does nothing. It just stays on the startup screen. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers

Ken Garlock
11-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Sean, I would try hitting the delete key just as soon as you see any activity on the screen. You have already encountered an error and the Bios has just quit running. Some times you need to hold the key down until you get into the bios or hear a series of beeps. Are you sure that delete is correct key? Some machines like escape.

Once you find your way into the bios screen, just poke around the various options until you find the one that changes the CAS value. Don't worry about making an error, if you think you have made an error, just exit the bios. The exit will ask if you want to save your changes, just say no. The machine will reboot and you can try again.

Others will probably have better answers....

Chuck Wintle
11-09-2007, 1:43 PM
Please help!!!! I'm working on my parents old computer. Their power pack blew up. Simple change right.....wrong. I swapped in a new power supply. It starts up, does a memory test and the comes up and says "suggested sdram cas latency time is "3"". I try to press the delete key to enter the bios to make the necessary adjustments, but it does nothing. It just stays on the startup screen. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers
Was it a Dell computer? There may be a problem with the motherboard or some part after the power supply died. Maybe a new computer is in order? Try to salvage the harddisk to retrieve any information from it. :)