PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT18 owners - info on your saw?

Dirk Lewis
11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
I've got a lead on a used Laguna LT18 and wondered if owners of these saws could post some info on their saw (cut and past below?) as I'm trying to figure out where this one fits in. I know they have 'evolved' over time (motor, resaw capacity etc).

Also, if you don't mind posting what you paid, it may give me a better idea of where to place my offer, as I'd prefer to not insult the owner with an unrealistic offer.

Year:
Motor Type (Euro/Baldor?):
Horsepower:
Resaw height:
Resaw width:
~cost:
New/used:

Yes, I've contacted Laguna and waiting, but that may be awhile.
I'm talking with the spouse of the saw's owner.

I appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
D

Mike Wilkins
11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I have had a Laguna LT18 since August 2001. Purchased during one of the big woodworking shows being held out west. They were offering deals for the show, even if you were not able to attend. Got the LT18 for the price of the LT16; cost plus shipping was $2350. Keep in mind these are 2001 figures. The LT machines have evolved over the years with more resaw capacity and ceramic guides as standard.
My 2001 LT has the 3 horse, single phase motor, 12" resaw capacity, and a throat capacity of 17 1/2". The saw originally came with the Euro guides, but after the upper thrust bearing self destructed, I upgraded to the ceramic guides. A little pricey, but got them with a Resaw Master carbide blade for a package deal.
These guides are great. You can place them a hairs' thickness away from the blade for a lot more support, and the ceramic will scrape the pitch off the sides of the blade as a benefit.
I have had absotulely no problems with this machine since the heavy beast landed in my shop. I suggest if you get one, have some help moving it. The table alone weighs over 100#. And I would not hesitate to get another one should a UFO land on my shop.
You may also want to consider the mobility kit from Laguna. I am a cheap/frugal sort, so I got one of the Shop Fox bases under mine. Not the best mobile base, but OK for now.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Dirk Lewis
11-09-2007, 1:48 PM
Thanks Mike, appreciate the feedback.
I'm thinking the one I'm going to look at is ~ 2001, as it has both euro & ceramic guides, latter being an upgrade I'm guessing. Waiting to here back on the motor, and also has the mobility kit and a number of blades (resaw king etc).

Cheers,
D

Hank Knight
11-09-2007, 2:56 PM
Dirk,

Mike and I are in the same boat. I've had my Laguna LT 18 for about 4 years. Mine came with a Euro motor, before they started equipping their saws with Baldor motors. I think it's 3Hp, but I'm not sure. In any event, it has plenty of power for my resaw needs. It has a 12" resaw capacity. I think I paid a little over $2,500 for it from Laguna.

Mine came with ceramic guides and, like Mike says, they are great - lots of close support for the blade. I ordered the mobility kit with mine and they gave me a Resaw Master carbide tipped blade. The mobility kit is a must for me in my small shop and it works great, even if it is a little pricy. The Resaw Master blade is excellent also; but unless I'm resawing really expensive wood, I just go with the 3/8" blade I keep on the saw for general use. I've gotten very good resaw results in up to 8" maple with it. I'm too lazy to put on the big blade unless it's a special project.

Ditto on needing help unloading it. Me and my delivery truck driver had a devil of a time getting the monster into my basement workshop. It was so heavy, it collapsed the wheels on his hand truck. I finally removed the motor and table, strapped a 2X6 to the back and slid it down the stairs. I held my breath, but it worked.

It's a very good saw. I've heard bad things about Laguna's customer service, but I haven't needed it, so I can't comment.

Hank

EDIT: I can't remember if the name of the blade is "Resaw King" or "Resaw Master." In any case, the one that came with my saw is the premium, carbide tipped 1" resaw blade Laguna sells for their saws. It's a high quality blade that can be resharpened.

Steve Rowe
11-09-2007, 3:57 PM
Dirk,
I purchased an LT-18 in early 2000 for $1895 and it included a 1" Lennox carbide tipped blade. The mobility kit added about another $180. This was pre-ceramic guides, has a 3HP European motor, and 12" resaw capacity. I later upgraded the guides to the ceramic and I like them a lot better. It was pricey (>10% of the cost of the saw) but worth it.
Steve

Dirk Lewis
11-09-2007, 9:06 PM
Hank & Steve - thanks for taking the time to give some feedback.
Cheers,
D

Scot Ferraro
11-10-2007, 2:22 PM
Dirk,

I bought my 2001 LT18 for $1,895 and I got the mobility kit for $100. Free cool blocks and some blades and I think I paid a guy $50 for shippinf since I live in So Cal. Mine has the 3 hp European motor and the Euro-guides. I have had zero problems with the saw, runs as smooth today as it did when it was new. I have heard rave reviews with the ceramic guides and when my thrust bearings wear out I might consider it although I have had 6 years use on this set of thrust bearings and they are still going strong. I would not hesitate to purchase this saw if the one you are looking at is in good condition.

Thanks,

Scot

Dirk Lewis
11-10-2007, 9:05 PM
Thanks Scot - Just found out she's asking $2200 for the saw, mobility kit and 8 blades, 4 of which are laguna's Resaw Kings. I am assuming they need to be sharpened (@ ~$50/blade). It is about 5-yrs old, has the older 3HP motor and 12" resaw (don't think I need the 18" of the newer saws), but looks to be in nice shape.

I'm thinking it is over priced by about $500-600...may still go see it early next week and give it a good going over.

Thanks for you comments,
D