PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever seen something like this?

Scott Rollins
11-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I have been looking for this jig I saw once while surfing on the internet. It had linear rails which held a router or circular saw so it could crosscut or dado. repeatably. I would like to find it to see how much it is in comparison to other alternatives (festool MFT and saw and router$$$$). I have several casework projects I am quoting which if I can do them quickly I can make a little extra$.

I have been looking for this jig for about 2 hours now online and I am ready to give up!!:mad:

I drew these this morning in about 5 minutes so don't critisize the crudeness of the router and circular saw too much please...it is only a representation of my poor memory!

Ed Peters
11-09-2007, 10:54 AM
.....FESTOOL.....

Ed

Jim Becker
11-09-2007, 11:00 AM
It's just a "bridge"...many folks use a home-grown version for surfacing large slabs, for example, using a router. It can also be used for crosscutting as you elude to. The EZ people have a commercial offering of this type. And as Ed mentioned, the Festool system gives you many of the same capabilities, although the EZ version focuses on a few additional points of repeatability. I use the Festool MFT as well as their stand-alone rails to do most of this, but will rig a shop-built version for surfacing slabs. If you want to see a really big version...Norwood (I think that's the name) uses the same technique for milling and surfacing lumber.

Randal Stevenson
11-09-2007, 11:12 AM
There was one company that made one that rode on rails (don't remember the name), but when I searched for them they had been out of business a while. I originally was looking at making a panel saw (there were plans for versions that used electrical conduit for the plates to ride along), then started looking at regular panel saws (too many chains, three closed around here). That was when I stumbled upon the EZ so many years ago now (03-04 timeframe). You can build one based on panel saw plans, or buy one of the guide systems, it is really a mater of time verses money and tastes.
I would ask that you search the EZ forums, or check out Eurekazone on You Tube.

Scott Rollins
11-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I was looking at Festool. The system looks very good. I am very happy with the sanders I recently purchased from them. I was just adding up the MFT, the saw, and the router (480+440+403=big money) and wondering if it would repeat dado time and time again (a wall 20+ ft wide with full built in bookcases). I checked the Festool site and the had a article by Jerry Work using the MFS400 to set a precision stop. It looked good (of course).
I was just hoping someone else had seem this sled thing and could give a name so I could check the site (I already have numerous circular saws and routers). Jim, I will check the EZ site as well.

John Ricci
11-09-2007, 1:05 PM
There was one company that made one that rode on rails (don't remember the name), but when I searched for them they had been out of business a while.

I have a tool that somewhat fits the description...made in Canada by "TrimTramp", it has plates for both router and circ saw use. The company however, has been out of business for a number of years. Is this the one you remember?

J.R.

Charles Wiggins
11-09-2007, 1:37 PM
Thought you might be interested in the Universal Tool Trolley system anyway (http://www.tooltrolley.com/Store/Retail.htm).
Rockler also has their All-in-One Clamp Guide System on sale (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=16448).

Chris Rosenberger
11-09-2007, 1:53 PM
This single beam version is listed on Ebay. Item # 300079898617
At one time they had a dual beam version listed.

Bryan Parlor
11-09-2007, 2:08 PM
I recently made some shop cabinets with both shelf and structural dadoes using the Eurekazone system.

The photograph shows both sides of the cabinet being routed at the same time so that the alignment is always exact. A piece of scrap wood was inserted in the first dadoe to keep the two panels aligned for all the other cuts.

Other dadoes are made by simply sliding the panels under the rail to the location indicated by the router overshoot into the scrap plywood guides on each side of the panels.

The basic setup took 1 min 10 sec to establish (I timed it for a friend). With the rail already setup on the bridge (its normal state) place first workpiece against rail so that its parallel, place a piece of scrap ply against the workpiece and screw to the work bench, add the second workpiece also pushed against the rail and screw another piece of scrap the other side. The panels can now be pushed under the rail to do any of the slots.

I have the bridge but all you need to do this is a 50ft rail package and the srk. It uses your existing router, and you can also use any saw on the rail (base provided in the package) to cut the panels.

Bryan

Lawrence See
11-10-2007, 5:09 AM
Scott, I found this a while back. You will have to make up your oun mind on it, I just have the URL

http://www.versatool.com/

Regards, Larry

Mike Henderson
11-10-2007, 12:34 PM
There's a couple of ways to make your own (not using rails but to achieve the same thing).

One is to make a jig with two boards. The spacing of the boards are such that you cut the dado width you want. See picture.

The other method is to take two boards and clamp them to your work wide enough that you get the dado width you want.

You can use the side of the router as a guide, or to be more accurate, use a router bit with a top bearing. See other picture.

Mike

Randal Stevenson
11-10-2007, 4:09 PM
I have a tool that somewhat fits the description...made in Canada by "TrimTramp", it has plates for both router and circ saw use. The company however, has been out of business for a number of years. Is this the one you remember?

J.R.

No, this one had rounded rails. Only seen it twice since then, once a version (same company) on Craigslist that started several posts on another forum (took up a lot more room then my EZ).

Scott Rollins
11-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies!
After looking at teh EZ system I thought I could buy a comparable system from festool for about the same $ so..
I went to Woodcraft today to buy the Festool system and the salesman talked me out of it! I had the TS55 with guide rails laying on the counter and he says, "Man you could buy a Ridgid table saw for this much". it got me thinking...:confused:
So I left the TS55 on the counter and went home and made a dado guide on the TS, a test cut in some scrap ply using Bryan's technique and perfection!
It is slower than Bryan's, but it cost nothing but scrap off cuts. It looks like Randals but is made from one piece of melamine coated MDF from the Borg. I think if I changed to Randals design and sandwiched the off cut ply I use and a top bearing bit it will be very good using a combination of Bryan and Randals Ideas;)
I checked with Bob Marino and I think I still will get the TS 55 and MFT from him though. (10% sales tax in TN!!!!) I have been wanting a crosscut system and my sawstop is limited to about 12" with my miter gauge. I considered the Jessem slider, but I think a fixed setup of the MFT and TS55 would fit the bill for anything larger than 12".