PDA

View Full Version : Free Radial Arm Saw

Dave Dionne
11-09-2007, 9:11 AM
SO

I have never had a radial arm saw, I have uesd one a few times many years ago.

If you were offered a Craftsman for free would you take it? I do not know th model it is between 10 and 15 years old and only used once or twice. My boss has one in his cellar, his wife bought it for him and he said that he set it up, used it once and it scarred him enough that he never turned it on again.

He has offered it to me for free, I will most likely set it up for two things, I make allot of picnic tables so maybe a got fence system for repeatable cuts and for half lap dado's for octagaon tables and such.

So what is your opinions?

(I figure I just got my $6 dollars woth the rest is gravey Thanks Keith)

Dave

Eric Gustafson
11-09-2007, 9:25 AM
If I had the space I probally would. Instead,. I use a SCMS mounted on a Ridgid CMS cart. When not in use, it has a small footprint and I can move it out of the way.

Mick Zelaska
11-09-2007, 9:41 AM
I have a 10" Craftsman in my shop that I bought in 1981. In 26 years of use all I have done is change the blades. When I designed my new shop, I incorporated it into the center of a 10' workbench as a dedicated dado station. By all means, get it.

Ken Belisle
11-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I've had mine for at least 15 years. Set it at 90 degrees when I got it and never moved it, so I haven't had the problems that most complain about which is getting it back to 90 after cutting miters or bevels. If for any reason, I need to cut an angle on it that I can't cut on my SCMS, I make a jig and leave the saw at 90 degrees.

If you have the room, I'd jump on that deal............

Dave Dionne
11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks everybody for your input

Well if you ask me I have the room, ask my wife????

I have taken 2 out of 3 of the garage bays time to start inching over again lol

thanks again

Dave

Jim Becker
11-09-2007, 11:01 AM
Note that many of these older RAS have recalls on them, either to provide new safety features or to destroy them for $100 payment... ;)

Bill White
11-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Bought mine in 1978. Still use it though I now have a TS. Since I learned on a RAS, I am comfortable with it's use and functions. I'm now seeing the benefits of the TS, and expect to use both in the new shop. Get the free saw, and learn to use it by first setting to 90 degrees as was mentioned. Once trued it can be an asset to your shop.
Bill

Dave Dionne
11-09-2007, 1:44 PM
Thanks for the comments

Thanks Jim for the heads up I will check that out for sure

Dave

Don Hein
11-09-2007, 2:40 PM
Yesterday, Emerson's check for $100 arrived, the recall settlement for my Craftsman RAS from the '70s. The return was easy, the check was prompt. IMO, the saw was just an OK tool, a loud dustmaker with only fair accuracy. It took a lot of shop space, and nearly maimed me once with a kick-back in an early, dumb attempt at ripping.

Tom Maple
11-09-2007, 3:19 PM
I would certainly get it. I had a Craftsman from 1980 or 1981 that served me quite well until I fried the motor when making 70 repetitive cuts in thick material and turning off the saw when I was done. I should have let it run for a while to cool down. I replaced it with a Delta Shopmaster since the newer Craftsman don't have as good a reputation as the older ones.
I always liked the idea that I was not pushing my hand toward a blade. If I put my left hand off to the side to hold the stock I was cutting, and my right hand on the saw grip there was not much danger of losing a digit or two.
The radial arm saw is great for cutting boards to length and cutting dados or half lap joints, especially in longer stock. It should work well for your picnic table construction.