PDA

View Full Version : Fire extinquishers

Bob & Elaine Robinson
11-09-2007, 8:51 AM
CO2 or Halotron? With my laser arriving any day now, thought I should be prepared. Curious also about maintenance cycle, where recharges are done, etc. Anyone deal with these people?

http://www.smokesign.com/firex.html

Bob

Wil Lambert
11-09-2007, 9:06 AM
Go with the CO2. It will not harm the laser if you use it. I purchase from my local fire extinguisher supplier and he comes in yearly and maintains them. I think it cost me about $30 a year to get a check up and new tags. The CO2 tanks have a 5 year recharge on the or at least mine does. Wil

Kenneth Hertzog
11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I checked with a number of people on price ended up with the halotron this is the one that has zero effect on computor equipment. This is what hospitals use on their million dollar equipment. Also it was 30 dollars cheaper than CO2.
CO2 tends to get really cold when discharged from the source. Not good for computor boards.
happy holidays
ken

Mike Hood
11-09-2007, 2:44 PM
Not sure where you got your prices... but CO2 is by far the least expensive and as far as thermal shock... that's the least of your worries.

We use CO2 everywhere in the military. It's readily available and will not harm optics, the environment or your wallet. And you pay less every yearly service as well. The thermal shock worries are unfounded. I've worked in electronics my whole life.

5# CO2 = $115
10# CO2 = $189
15# CO2 = $225
20# CO2 = $285

5# HALOTRON = $149
11# HALOTRON = $295
15.5# HALOTRON = $419

http://smokesign.com/halfirex.html

Kenneth Hertzog
11-09-2007, 3:21 PM
Mike
that is the price list I got but it was reversed
with co2 more than the other
maybe its different in PA
or I was scammed:confused:
oh well
now I have 4 extinguishers in the garage and shop
ken
hope I never have to use any of them:D

Mike Hood
11-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Halon and Halotron sound like great bottles. You've definitely got the best.

Sounds like you're well-protected now.