PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! I've fallen and can't get up(out of the vortex that is)

Donald Barfield
11-09-2007, 8:37 AM
I have been collecting tools for several years and said when I retired I was going to learn woodworking as hobby.I never thought much about working on a lathe .Well I sold by business,took an early retirement,and started setting up my shop.Then 2 months ago went too visit my daughter and SIL in Michigan. While there I watched my SIL make a pen and decided to try one too. Needless to say that was the begining off my fall into the vortex. Last week I joined the local woodturners group and must say I felt that one demo was worth more than the cost of the years membership,although the info and enjoyment of Sawmill Creek is an even better bargain no more than they ask you to contribute. Last week I also ordered my Rikon lathe ,a chuck,and pen mandrell. The lathe came in yesterday and right after putting it together I had to make pen. Today I will probably start to see what else I can learn to make with it. I just wish I had got my lathe a few months ago so that could gotten the experience to get in on the ornament exchange. I want to end with a big THANKS to everone for their posts,they have given me a lot of good ideas !!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-09-2007, 8:43 AM
Don.....Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex! People in financial difficulties enjoy company!:eek: :rolleyes: :D

Steve Schlumpf
11-09-2007, 9:25 AM
Welcome to the Creek Don! Everyone here understands the pull of the Vortex! Have fun with it and be sure to start posting lots of pictures of your turnings!

Paul Engle
11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Don, and a REALLY BIG HOWDY TO YA ! Welcome to the creek /y vortex , where smiles and good will are the result of sharing and caring.
May the Good Lord take a likin' to you,
May the spindle rise to meet ya
May the chips be at your back
and the dust be at your feet !!!~
Paul

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Donald welcome to the black hole of turning. It sure is fun. Be sure to post lots of pictures of your projects and most of all enjoy.

John Hart
11-09-2007, 11:21 AM
If you're still curious what to make next........A Bonker. It's the law.;)
Fineprint: Dimensional data and finish shall be scrutinized heavily
Welcome!:)

TYLER WOOD
11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Welcome! We enjoy new victims, I meant new turners!!! Welcome to the vortex, and goodbye to you wallet. No we're not joking either. The lathe is the cheap part. Maybe the largest single cost of the hobby, but trust me.

Daniel Heine
11-09-2007, 5:30 PM
Donald,

Start saving now, very soon you will begin craving some mustard, mayo, or maybe your very own American Beauty!!! Welcome to the vortex, the good news is that there is no bottom to it!!!

Best of luck in your turning endeavors,
Daniel Heine

Jon Lanier
11-09-2007, 5:54 PM
The swirling eddy's of the vortex greet you.

-Jon

Bill Wyko
11-09-2007, 5:57 PM
Welcome my friend to the show that never ends. Come inside, come inside. (the door locks behind you):D You'll find nothin but fun here. Just don't believe em when they say "it's a cheap hobby" Post many pics often.:) Especially that first pen.

Brett Baldwin
11-09-2007, 6:55 PM
Welcome Donald. You have now found the perfect way to spend your retirement (with regard to both time and money;) ). You will probably never escape but at least you'll have good company 'till the end.

Nancy Laird
11-09-2007, 8:55 PM
Donald, before you go any further, you need to read this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=68181

Be warned, be afraid, be very afraid...

Nancy (42 days)