PDA

View Full Version : Flush Trim Router Bit

Jack Gingerich
11-08-2007, 9:59 PM
If you do any pattern cutting or need to use a bearing guided flush trim router bit, I suggest you look at CMT's sheer cut bit. The cutting edge is not parallel with the axis of the bit, but rather at a slight angle which slices the wood. I butchered the end grain on 1 1/2" cherry with the standard "straight" flush trim bit, and tried the CMT - like a knife thru butter with a very smooth finish and no burning. More $$ but I'm sold.

Jack

Michael Weber
11-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Jack, I was looking to buy a top and bottom bearing flush trim bit to use on cherry with some patterns I've made . Do you think that a sheer cut bit would be a better option. My current top bearing bit really wants to tear the grain on the ends and reversed grain direction. Of course thats the idea of a top and bottom bearing bit but if what you have would work it would save a lot of raising and lowering of the bit. thanks Mike

Brian Gumpper
11-09-2007, 4:00 PM
Michael,

The bits with both a top and bottom bearing to make it easier as you said because one bit does it all just raise or lower to match the template.

If you want the ultimate in flush trim bits, look at the spiral bits with the bearing. Available in upcut and downcut so you would have to think about the direction for your type of work.

Jim Becker
11-09-2007, 4:37 PM
Good advise...I've been using shearing cutters in flush trim situations for years for the very reason you speak about...cleaner cuts.