PDA

View Full Version : 6' Ridged Jointer

Graham Skinner
11-08-2007, 8:38 PM
Hello everybody.

Have any of you got a 6' Ridged Jointer ???, and was wondering if they are any good.

I am looking for a jointer and Home Depot up here in Canada have a no payment/intrest for 14 months if you spend $300 or more with the home depot card over the next three days.

Have been looking at the Delux 6" steel city and 6" General Int, and Delta X5. 6" Professional Jointer would like to hear what the guys who have these think as well.

I know that 8" is better but I do not have the Cash, space or voltage for one in the garage, so had to rule this size out for the moment.

Thanks for reading this...Graham....

Scott Long
11-08-2007, 9:49 PM
I cannot attest for the ridgid, but I know that my neighbor loves his.

I own the 6" steel city. I like the extra length and the extra weight.

I am afraid to spend that kind of money on iron at the borg.

Grant Wilkinson
11-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Graham

I have it and love it. I got mine at Home Depot. If you have 220 in your shop, wire it that way.

Wayne Symons
11-08-2007, 10:17 PM
The Ridgid is pretty popular with the hobbyists here in N.C.. I have had one for about two years and it has been great. (An 8" would be better but, us with space limitations....Well you know the story!)

For the money, I would recommend it highly!

Wayne

Jack Ganssle
11-09-2007, 8:08 AM
Love mine. No problems at all. The 90 degree stop is rather hokey, but I bought a Wixey angle guage so never use the stop.

Jack

frank shic
11-09-2007, 9:37 AM
the blade guard allows stock less than 3/4" to slide under it (a supposed safety feature) but it's a good jointer otherwise.

Charlie Plesums
11-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I had the Ridgid 6 inch... it was a good unit, but I rarely used it because it was only 6 inches wide.

If your saw is set up really well, you don't need to edge joint the wood.

If you are using high grade hardwoods, the rough cut boards must be over 6 inches wide ... typically at least 6 1/2 inches so that they can meet specs for high grade lumber, and produce a finished 6 inch board. Therefore most of the hardwood I bought couldn't be face jointed on the Ridgid.

I was planning to upgrade to 8 inches, but jumped to a 16 inch jointer.

Brian Penning
11-09-2007, 11:20 AM
I have one. Works very well and I'd buy one again.

Jim W. White
11-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I've had one for several years. Very solid unit for a 6" jointer. Plenty of power and it leaves a nice edge with no scalloping.

Jim in Idaho