PDA

View Full Version : Remove/Install Hull Plank

Don Abele
11-08-2007, 7:16 PM
In another thread on steam bending, I talked about the hull planks we are replacing on the ship. Many have asked how we remove and then reinstall them. The first series of pics shows how we get them off (though this is a cap rail being removed, not a hull plank).

First we use a "small" air powered auger to drill out around the copper pin and clinch ring.

Then we chisel out the remaining wood to give us access to the pin.

We then use a tool that we built specifically for this. It's powered by a pneumatic impact driver which turns the screw and pulls on the hand-forged pinchers. The frame is aluminum which really cuts down on the weight.

When we get the pin out you can see what's left. After that we just pry to plank loose.

Be well,

Doc

Don Abele
11-08-2007, 7:21 PM
To install the beam, we insert the T bars into the hull and the specially designed H clamps over them. Then we press the plank into place with hand operated hydraulic pistons. Once it's in place we redrill the holes and pin the plank back on using inch and half copper pins. No glue, no screws, no problem!

As you can see, the plank stands a little proud of the side. We'll plane that down flush so we can feather it in just prior to pinning. The forward plank in the first picture has already been faired and pinned.

All totalled, we are replacing about a dozen hull planks this winter.

Be well,

Doc

Ben Grunow
11-08-2007, 7:59 PM
Should have used a "big" drill.

Nicely done. I have a friend who is a designer in a boatbuilding co up that way and every once in a while I think it would be more fun to build/fix boats instead of houses. Seems like it might be a nice change and much less need for a square and level so less tools too.

Big boat work is really cool as far as I am concerned. New tools but same old techniques (mostly). As anyone who has seen a ships saw in action and the teamwork required knows.

Thanks for the post

Ben

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 9:29 PM
Wow...great threads, Don! This is really a most interesting look at some "real world" woodworking in a unique environment.

Bruce Page
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Don, when I saw the post title “Remove/Install Hull Plank” I said Huh? Then I saw your name…:) That looks like a ton of work but the results will be well worth it. I love the rehab updates – keep them coming!

Don Abele
11-09-2007, 8:12 AM
Bruce, as I indicated over on the steam bending thread, this is a two year long rehab that's going to be making some significant changes to the ship. As we do cool or unique stuff I'll post it. Amazing that over the past two years I've been on the ship, we really haven't done any of that. Now that I'm in my last year or so it's all starting. Oh well, at least I'll get to be here for some of it.

Be well,

Doc

Al Willits
11-09-2007, 8:32 AM
There's a place here in Minn that does some high end restoring on wood boats and Tyler and I got a chance to tour it though our woodworking guild, can't remember the name off hand.
Lots of stuff invovled in restoring them wood boats, more so than I thought.

Pretty interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

Al

John Schreiber
11-09-2007, 5:07 PM
. . . Seems like it might be a nice change and much less need for a square and level so less tools too. . . .
You just try working on the curves of a boat and it will make you wish for square and level. On a boat, the only reference is the next piece of wood and it will likely not be square in any dimension. Fewer tools, maybe, but a lot more hand held tool work.

Kyle Stiefel
11-09-2007, 6:49 PM
Don,

I must say you are very lucky man to be working on such a project, but to also get a pay check, I am quite envious! Thanks for the pics.

Kyle