PDA

View Full Version : It's Here

Greg Cole
11-08-2007, 5:00 PM
Ordered Monday at 9pm, fresh off the back of the UPS Freight Truck. :D
The driver said "man, this Grizzly stuff is about all I deliver these days".... and had a couple haha stories about home deliveries of this heavy stuff.
I had it delivered to work where the forklift makes it easy, until I get home that is especially with a helper of 40 lbs & 6 years of age.

Cell pics will have to suffice til I get it home and making dust....

Cheers,

Greg

frank shic
11-08-2007, 7:17 PM
greg, what is it? a bandsaw?

Jack Camillo
11-08-2007, 7:35 PM
i don't think bandsaws come in 2 pieces... jointer?

Graham Skinner
11-08-2007, 7:43 PM
It looks like a Euro style bandsaw to me ( I think :confused: )

Kevin Murdock
11-08-2007, 7:56 PM
G0513x2 right on the paper.

17" bansaw with updated trunnion.

-Kevin

Greg Muller
11-08-2007, 8:25 PM
Greg,
If you need a hand unloading it at home, let me know. I have some time available this weekend. At 6'4" and 250 lbs, I may be of some small assistance...

-Greg

Al Killian
11-08-2007, 8:54 PM
It is a empty crate. He is just trying to fool us.:D j/k Let us know how it works for you.

Don Bullock
11-08-2007, 9:09 PM
Greg, congratulations. Let us know how you like it.

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 9:15 PM
Congratulations, Greg!

Graham Skinner
11-08-2007, 9:24 PM
It is a empty crate. He is just trying to fool us.:D j/k Let us know how it works for you.

If you can guess how many chickens are in the crate you can have both of them?:D

Greg Cole
11-08-2007, 10:29 PM
There was only supposed to be the pic of the saw & base... somehow I posted the pic of just saw too. G0513X2 it is.
Thanks for the offer Greg, I appreciate it. If I run down to the new stick store maybe I'll try to look you up....
Managed to get it home safely and uncrated. You'd be amazed at what a couple 2X4's & Yankee Engineering can do. So, I'm happily laying parts on the bench for assembly & the dreaded cell phone rings from work... D'OH. I am now back at work. 24/7 support has it's moments....
Initial inspection leads me to say the fit & finish is very good. And the CI trunion, well beefy as compared to the G0513 I parted with.
Here's the gloat... wife pulls in the driveway & and is on the phone, anyway, she's talking to her mother & simply says "must be my husband bought something expensive again" and walked up gave me a hug n kiss and walked in the house.:D
More to come....

Greg Cole
11-10-2007, 9:30 AM
Well, no chickens have migrated from the shop to the house Graham....:)
Managed to get everything put together last night.... would have taken little time (maybe 30-45 minutes honestly) but SOMEONE had the Red Wings game on in the shop while assembling etc.... helps that not much changed since I did this with the "old" G0513.
There wasn't the think gooey cosmoline all over the CI stuff, the coating easily wiped off with a bit of mineral spirits. Anyway, all parts fit well & easily. I assembled the mobile base with the saw blocked up to not have to lift the saw on the base solo, but I need move the swivel casters to the "other" corners, intial plan/idea makes the saw take up more "parking space"... it's only 400 lbs should be a cinch...LOL Wheels nicely coplanar and blade tracked nicely out of the crate (thanks chickens!).
Bearing adjustments are easy and easy to get to. Blade install is not difficult by any means.
By 8:15'ish it was between 2nd & 3rd periods so time to fire it up. YAY.... push the green button & nothing. OK, cycle the red & green buttons again, still nothing. Oh what the..... OH DUH, breaker please :D . Vroom vroom, grab a penny or nickel and it stands pat (quarters n dimes can stay in the pocket but my little dude tried anyway).
2 cuts made. One with the hot rod stock blade in some 1/4'ed sycamore @ 5" W and 24" L. The results are what ya'd expect from a stock blade... two pieces 1/8" thick that need alot of smoothing (ran thru the planer once before the photo). Ok, on with the wood slicer and a piece of 6" walnut... Slick Willy and much impoved or I should say as expected.
So now off to Woodcraft for a few DC items (going to try to keep it to just DC items!) to finalize the install & tidy up a few other things left from building a noise abatement closet for the DC.
Nice to have a BS back after a time without one.... kinda like having my "old" saw back.

Cheers & Happy Weekend.

Greg

alex grams
11-10-2007, 10:31 AM
very nice. How do you like the benefit of the cast iron trunnion (i am on the verge of buying the 513x, but just can't sell myself on spending 100$ more for the 513x2, and also i would need to buy the resaw fence for the 513x2., which would cost me about another 100$, 200$ more total).

How did it resaw with the non stock blade? I don't have a planer, so i am anticipating that a belt sander and a good blade on the 513x will suffice for a while until i can work up more money for a planer.

Brian Weick
11-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Nice gloat Greg, I am sure you will enjoy that BS- I am in the market for a BS and still have not made my mind up as of yet- but that sure looks like it will handle almost anything! WTG
Brian

Bill Wyko
11-10-2007, 12:01 PM
If you can guess how many chickens are in the crate you can have both of them?:D
NONE:D Did I win?:D :D :D :D

Greg Cole
11-10-2007, 3:50 PM
Bill, sure you won a free saw. But the fuel surcharge & shipping is about $1200.:D I thought you were a mustard guy anyway?
Alex, I didn't bring my calipers home from work to check thickness-accuracy (trying to remind myself to bring them home Monday). But to finish could make it thru a sander if you start with prob 80 or 100 grit on the first pass....not really sure about grit choice, never used a drum or wide belt (assuming you are referring to a drum or wide belt). Or a swipe or 2 with a smooth plane like a #4 so long as ya aren't slicing real thin.
At Woodcraft this morning I looked closely at the 18" Rikon and 18" Steel City. If I was to buy one of those 2 I think I'd buy the SC based on my examination, but I am happy with with my decision.
Almost bought a 1" Timber Wolf too but not sure I need it. The 3/4 woodslicer does well on resaw for me, it's the only good one I've used since having a BS. Any other bands I should look at?
Ah well, back to DC plumbing and cleaning shop, it's nice enough to roll up the doors here today.

Greg