PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox w1741 Jointer Question

Ted Illi
11-08-2007, 2:48 PM
Just finished unpacking and setting up my very first jointer. A new W1741 Jointer. I have some rookie questions. (I hope someone has a copy of their instruction book handy)
Had no problems getting the machine together. So far so good.
I inspected the knives (Instructions page 28) with a straight edge and they were good. They matched the height of the outfeed table and the Setting Jig.
Next, I checked the table for parallel and it was excellent from the factory. (Instructions page 32)Things were going great!
I checked the outfeed table height (page 35) and found the table is even with the top of the blades but there is not .0625 clearance between the cutterhead and table top as required. I need to raise the outfeed table by about .050. Right?
Now if I do this, I will also have to raise each of the blades so that they are in line with the new outfeed height. Right?
If I do that, the blades will be higher than the setting gage. Right?
If that's all correct, what good is the setting gage?
The blades presently only stick up above the cutterhead about .015. Can I assume this is the max I can remove on a single pass no matter how low the infeed table is? I think I'd like moving the table and the blades up?

I'm a little confused. I think I need a break and a beer! I've read the instructions to long! Can someone set me back on course so I can plug my new toy in and have some fun!

Thanks

Dave MacArthur
11-09-2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.woodworkergallery.com/happywoodworking/DJ20adjustments.html

This should be similar and get you adjusting.