PDA

View Full Version : Oneida Cyclone Blower Motor question

dan mahler
11-08-2007, 2:29 PM
I purchased a used Oneida Cyclone Separator and 2HP Blower a couple of months ago. The system is about 10 years old.

The motor which is a Marathon 2HP wired at 220V has no on/off switch but just a power cord. I want to activate the system using a remote control, so my question is, can I use the "Long Ranger III" Switch, 220V to do this or would a Magnetic Switch with Thermal overload protection setup be more suited? Thanks.

Jim O'Dell
11-08-2007, 2:36 PM
Dan, what many have done is purchased a 220 volt contactor of the right amperage, with a 110 volt trigger, then used even a cheap remote from the hardware store to trigger the contactor. I wired up my 5 hp cyclone to be able to do that, but am turning it on with a light switch instead of the remote. Total cost should be about 35 to 40 dollars plus what ever wire you will need. Hope this helps. I'm sure the lone ranger unit would work to for a lower hp motor. Jim.

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 2:47 PM
Yes, you could use a Long-Ranger, but I'd suggest you consider using a contactor for switching the power and any old inexpensive remote to control the contactor.

Jamie Buxton
11-08-2007, 3:58 PM
Yes, you could use a Long-Ranger, but I'd suggest you consider using a contactor for switching the power and any old inexpensive remote to control the contactor.

As I understand it, the Long Ranger is a 3 hp contactor plus a remote control. It comes in one convenient package. So why would one want to buy separates?

Jim O'Dell
11-08-2007, 5:26 PM
Jamie, with the contactor and a cheap 110 volt remote from the hardware store, you can do this for under 40 bucks. Just have to hope that your neighbors don't have the same remote for their Christmas lights! :D Jim.

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 9:36 PM
As I understand it, the Long Ranger is a 3 hp contactor plus a remote control. It comes in one convenient package. So why would one want to buy separates?

Longer life. More options for control. (I use a simple centrally located switch on the control side, rather than an RF remote, for example, but could also have opted for a low-voltage, multiple switch setup or used a cheap RF switch)

I burned out two X-10 setups and one Long-Ranger before moving to the contactor solution which has been rock-solid. And my system is a 2hp Oneida Commercial setup. The cost of the contactor and other components was not all that different than buying a 240v Long-Ranger...

Lee Hingle
11-09-2007, 1:43 AM
Jim,
Any chance we could see a picture or wiring diagram for your set-up?
Lee

Jim O'Dell
11-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Lee, I may not be the right Jim :p , but I think most of us followed Dennis Peacock's information (fellow Creeker). You can find it here at his web site. http://www.beautifulwood.net/html/wireless_dc.html Hope this helps. Jim.

dan mahler
11-09-2007, 12:31 PM
Jim O'Dell & Jim Becker,

Thanks much for the info, it helps me out greatly.

DJM

Lee Hingle
11-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Jim O'dell,
Thanks for the link!
Lee

Steve knight
11-10-2007, 12:53 AM
I have used a lone ranger for about 5 years on my 2hp jet dc. never even had to replace the batteries. I was very happy with the setup.
but it will not work with a 3hp setup. even though it is rated for that it just can't handle the load of a 3hp dc starting up.