PDA

View Full Version : Need a Laser Level

Paul B. Cresti
02-11-2004, 9:34 AM
I am in the process of starting my own part time buisness, doing standard and custom trim work and of course (hopefully) custom built-ins and furniture. I need some advice on a good laser level. I will be using it for cornices, chair rails and base molding, so I will need a tripod also. I do not mind spending a little but have no idea which ones are good. Any ideas?

Todd Burch
02-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Paul, I have a torpedo-style laser level (about 12" long, I guess.) Don't remember what brand, but it is gold in color. It shoots 3 lines - horzintal, vertical and at a right angle. It cost about $99.

I thought I wanted a level that spun around and drew a line on the wall, and that would still be nice, but this one works fine. It is not self leveling, and that feature would REALLY be nice.

I looked at a pole-mounted laser last week, when I thought I had lost my 12"er. The pole works from 7' to 14' tall. The "bell" shaped laser sits on a "shelf" off the pole. It throws out a veritical line or a crosshair line good for 32' both directions (64' total). It is self leveling (if within 5°), so that would make setup fast. The laser won't light if not with 5°. I think it was called a "Gizmo." About $480 with the pole if I recall. That would be my replacement if I had to buy another.

Todd.

Rich Tesoroni
02-11-2004, 3:48 PM
I've got the Robolaser too (gold, about 9" long). I bought it for use outside running drain pipes. Worked great. It's manual leveling and projects a dot, but that's all I needed.

If I was going to do a lot of inside work, the rotating and self leveling looks more useful, though more expensive.

Rich

Robert Ducharme
02-11-2004, 5:23 PM
What are your accuracy constraints over what length? Sometimes the simplest method (water level) might be the best.