PDA

View Full Version : Notice: A Rip Off Artist on this forum

Lane Bayliss
11-08-2007, 11:10 AM
I am sorry to have to bring this up but feel an obligation to do so. There is a forum member who is actively posting here and he has over the past 6 months to a year taken money from numerous people such as myself and did not send the merchandise paid for. It is possible that he will do the same to someone here on this forum. He comes across as a swell guy with some very nice drum oriented stuff, takes your money and then forgets all about you.
I understand that much if not all of this forum is devoted to information on woodworking but how do you feel about giving someone respect who rips off others on other forums or ebay? Surely we all have a brotherhood within our career/hobby to be a part of.
I feel it's my duty to bring this person to the attention of others worldwide at least in the places he visits. Sure it's personal, after all I am one of his victims and do wish to 'get back at him' if possible.
Ultimately, maybe he will change his ways and even make some of these bad deals right. I will use his name once I get some feedback from forum members. Maybe some will tell me to take a hike or ask why should I be trusted. As far as being trusted goes I have had a reputation as a player and seller of drum related items for 20 years and have made many good relationships and can back this up. Maybe some of my associates are on this forum, not counting the one dude I'm looking for. Either way, it will be appreciated.

Bill Ragland
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Well my opinion is that if someone is truly ripping people off, each of us has a responsibility to make that known to others and name the person who is doing it. Its just the right thing to do. That's my opinion, others may feel differently.

Matt Meiser
11-08-2007, 11:20 AM
You asked for feedback so...

Right now there is no point to this post. There are close to 1500 people who've posted 10 or more times in the past month on this forum, 2000 have posted 1 or more times. You could be talking about any of us. If you name names, how do you know you are talking about the right person? Or are you calling out the wrong person who will forever be remembered as the rip-off artist. And even if you are right, you know who this guy is and probably where he lives--why not get the authorities involved (I understand they may be hesitant to put manpower on a relatively minor matter?) Or the courts? I can understand where you are coming from, but regardless, this isn't the place.

Keith Outten
11-08-2007, 11:31 AM
Lane,

You are not allowed to make any public statements here that violate our Terms of Service;

D 2. Disagreements, Flaming, and Personal or Professional Attacks
Disagreements are almost certain to occur. Members shall be respectful of dissenting opinions and refrain from name-calling, personal or professional attacks.

Even if what you say is true this is not the place to publicly accuse one of our Members. If you would like to report your information to me privately I will look into the matter. If I can prove your allegations I will remove the individual from our Forums.

Lane Bayliss
11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the replies and all are helpful. I looked for such an issue before bringing this up but missed it, sorry.

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-08-2007, 3:16 PM
NAME NAMES~!!!!

lawyers can use the work.

jeremy levine
11-08-2007, 3:22 PM
Wow, I'm glad he didn't mean ripping off ideas. Thats why I come here :)

Randy Denby
11-08-2007, 5:06 PM
You asked for feedback so...

Right now there is no point to this post. There are close to 1500 people who've posted 10 or more times in the past month on this forum, 2000 have posted 1 or more times. You could be talking about any of us. If you name names, how do you know you are talking about the right person? Or are you calling out the wrong person who will forever be remembered as the rip-off artist. And even if you are right, you know who this guy is and probably where he lives--why not get the authorities involved (I understand they may be hesitant to put manpower on a relatively minor matter?) Or the courts? I can understand where you are coming from, but regardless, this isn't the place.

Very well stated Matt !
And LAne, I hope you get your issue resolved....
I just found that I had some copper stolen off a job yesterday....I can relate

Mark Rios
11-09-2007, 11:54 PM
The suggested donation is just $6 per year--about the same as one fast-food meal and less than two bd-ft of lumber.

Matt, with all due respect I have to take issue with your signature line in all your posts and I must say that I take great offense with it. The small (as you say) $6 donation may only be the equivalent of 2 board feet of wood to you but to some of us less fortunate people have to pay $5 or $6 per FOOT for good woodworking hardwood. Please take this into consideration when you make these kinds of statements in the future. Thank you.

:D :D :D :D :D

Clint Jones
11-10-2007, 1:04 AM
Guys its me, Im the rip off artist..... sorry :p

Jack Camillo
11-10-2007, 6:30 AM
Cyber Fraud is defined as:
Any type of fraud that occurs online. The most common form is online credit card theft. Other common forms of cyberfraud include nondelivery of paid products purchased, nondelivery of merchandise or software bought online, and data break-ins.

Keith made a good call. Send him the name and let him investigate. To start. If there's someone using our forum to steal, we don't want him around.

John Shuk
11-10-2007, 6:34 AM
When buying stuff or selling stuff from SMC classifies I always look back at some of the member's posts.
I think you can get a sense of their "Connection" to the community and base your trust on that.
I would hate to think that somebody got ripped off here.

Al Willits
11-10-2007, 9:31 AM
fwiw, I rarely buy anything over the net in these kind of cases with out some sort of track record, or if the item I'm buying is cheap enough that if the deal goes south, Beasty doesn't give me the "I told you" look.

Been extremely happy with all my deals on this forum, but would appreciate knowing if someone is not maintaining their end of a bargain.
Problem is I'm wondering if they could just sign in with another email addy ?
Al

Greg Cole
11-10-2007, 9:43 AM
I backed away from a sale of an INCRA system here when I first stumbled onto the creek. After looking into the member selling this system, I saw his only postings were trying to sell things and communication with him was umm... well... odd. Didn't feel-sound-smell right, so no point to send off hard earned $. Haven't seen that member 'round in awhile either (but I've only been around for 'bout a year now). Woulda maybe saved some $, but I bought everything I wanted from Woodpeck at a show a few months later and walked out the door with the boxes safely under in arm.
In general I dislike alot of the information-internet age buying & selling transactions from individuals. It's all too easy to be an unsuspecting victim or if nothing else it's easy to make poor purchases & have regrets.
But there are more honorable & reputable sellers of things than not... just need to sort through the trash or search out local options.
This reminds me of some of the rip off posts on Craigs List, I laugh at some of the tit-for-tat back n forth kid stuff there.

Greg

Jim O'Dell
11-10-2007, 9:55 AM
I'd like to thank Lane for using good judgement in not naming names to start off with. Yes, I want this person off the list as well, but it's a time for "The Authorities", ie Keith, to take the lead here. Send him the information, copies of emails, private mails, proof of payment, and let him investigate. What Keith finds and acts on will not negatively affect anything you might be able to do legal wise to get your merchandise or money back. And it keeps you from a slander case. Good protection all around. Jim.

Brian Weick
11-10-2007, 10:34 AM
I am really sorry to hear that - especially someone that is a member on here- that really is a disappointment. Most members on here are upstanding ,and respectful members of society with good moral values, however there are always 1 or 2 bad apples. I would contact Keith and try to get this problem resolved through the appropriate channels. there are several Lawyers that are members of SMC- they may be able to do something for you , either get your funds returned or your merchandise in your hand.
Sometimes just a friendly legal letter is enough to motivate them in abruptly changing there behavior. I always am worried if I sell items, which is not that often, that I will not receive my payment- recently I was selling some rollers, had to package them, take them to the post office to get the postage ,then come back to them with the freight charges, then wait for the payment, cash the check- then go to the post office to mail them, on one order I had to pay more than anticipated- just change, and that's OK, but everyone has come through - those individuals, if we do business again- I will ship what ever item they are interested in purchasing out first if they like, and they can send the payment in after because of past experience with that individual and trust.
I guess what I am trying to say , I worry about being paid for merchandise being sent out without a business relationship that has yet to be established and it's difficult without any rating scale. Maybe Keith can get a rating system for those that sell/purchase items on here to get a better handle on who can be trusted and who is trying to pull the wool over others eyes. I would definitely vote for that - But at any rate- contact Keith about this and he may be able to assist you in the proper way to go about handling your unfortunate situation.
I hope you resolve your issue Lane:)
Brian

K. L. McReynolds
11-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I doubt seriously if stating an opinion on an internet forum could possibly result in a slander case. Reasons being first a person has to be located, authorities have to be willing to prosecute, and the cost would be so astrono0mical as to be prohibitive.

The website itself is not liable either.

Both sides have valid points. A less than honest member gives a website a bad name. However, if simply banned, that person could register at other forums and do their work there.

But, even if the person were identified, it does not take mudh to reregister under another name/email.

So, the best course of action for a website encountering this problem is to simply remove the posting privileges as soon as the act is verified.

We still have to rely on the honesty of the person on the other end of the deal.

Christopher Kanda
11-10-2007, 5:52 PM
I only bought one item from someone on the forum and it turned out well.. The only frustration was that they wanted my check to clear before sending the item. I had to trust them 100% before he could trust me. Someone has to give a little. Good luck