PDA

View Full Version : need help with hollow form finish.

Robert McGowen
11-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi,

I have a segmented vase that is about 16" tall. The inside neck diameter is around 2" across. My wife can put her hand in it, but there is no way my hand is going in there. I was thinking about finishing it with laquer while it is still on the lathe, but have no clue how to get a reasonably smooth finish on the inside. Before you ask, I sanded the inside as I built it. The other alternative is Danish oil which would be simple to do the inside with, but why do something easy? Any help or other finish suggestions out there?

Thanks,
Robert

Rich Stewart
11-08-2007, 1:03 PM
I think I saw something somewhere about a guy that wrapped sandpaper around a dowel and stuck it in the neck. Double sided tape maybe? Use your wifes hand? Bandsaw it in half, sand what you want and glue it back together? Its segmented anyway, right?

John Hart
11-08-2007, 1:26 PM
....Use your wifes hand? Bandsaw it in half, sand what you want and glue it back together? Its segmented anyway, right?

Her hand is probably segmented just like everyone else's....but I think it would be cruel to use a bandsaw. What kind of glue would you use? CA?

John Hart
11-08-2007, 1:29 PM
Heh heh... Hey Robert....I had good results, spraying lacquer on the inside while it's on the lathe. You get a fog coming out while you're doing it....but that can be a bonus. (hic):o
But if you spray light coats...10 minutes apart, you can have a nice finish in about an hour and a half.

TYLER WOOD
11-08-2007, 1:57 PM
Pour poly inside roll it around, pour out excess, let dry. Repeat as necessary. Won't be the smoothest finish, but should do the trick. Or tape a rag to a stick and get to plunging!!!

Rich Stewart
11-08-2007, 2:02 PM
CA would probably work. I think a nurse glued Jim's daughters eye shut with it. I was gonna use the one about my wife's mouth but somebody beat me to it. Nice to see you back, John.

Bernie Weishapl
11-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Robert it depends on what type of finish be it Antique Oil, Poly or Lacquer I just pour some in and roll it around. When I look in with a flashlight and if the surface is all covered I let it dry. I do this a couple of times. I have also did like John said with it on the lathe and let it turn at about 150 rpm and spray it with lacquer. Make sure you do this with some ventilation. (HIC) Both work well.

Rich I use a dowel with a slot cut in it. I wrap it with a quarter sheet of sandpaper and sand away.