PDA

View Full Version : band saw

alex grams
11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
So I am approaching the final choice on either the Rikon 10-325 or the Grizzly G0513X. The final consideration is given to weight and mobility. I need it on a mobile base so i can move it out of the way when I am not using it.

For those who use them, is the G0513X too much to handle? Shown shipping weight of 414lbs (how many people would i need to get this thing off of the truck, into my garage, and onto the mobile base?) Is it layed horizontally on a pallet, or delivered vertically? Grizzly is very clear that they won't help you unload it. What all would i need to get this thing moved from the truck to garage?

The Rikon is 1/2 HP less, and 14" vs a 17". I see the advantages of the 17" and extra 1/2 HP, but at 261lb, is it much more manageable (both off of the truck and into the garage). (the 17" vs 14" and the 2hp vs 1.5hp is well worth the 100$ extra financially in my opinion).

I would love the larger saw, but am curious on if i can manage this myself (for normal operations on a mobile base) and how much work it will take to manhandle it from delivery to garage.

Thanks in advance.

Doug Shepard
11-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Get the delivery set up to include liftgate service (most sellers already assume you're going to need this). They'll lower it down to your driveway on a pallet jack and roll it into your garage for you. I got my 600 Lb MM16 off the pallet with 2 helpers but you should probably be OK with one for a 414 Lb saw.

Eddie Darby
11-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Get the delivery set up to include liftgate service (most sellers already assume you're going to need this). They'll lower it down to your driveway on a pallet jack and roll it into your garage for you. I got my 600 Lb MM16 off the pallet with 2 helpers but you should probably be OK with one for a 414 Lb saw.
Was that tailgate or liftgate??? I know a case of beer can go a long way towards getting friends to help!:D

Greg Cole
11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Alex,
I have moved a 600 lb crate with a jointer in it as well at the 400+ lbs of a TS the same way....from the bed of my truck to my garage by placing a quick built wooden ramp (2X frame with a 3/4 err 18mm sheet of ply) by:
1) Call in at least one set of extra hands
2) backing the truck up to the garage so the ramp is held in place with the 1" step up into the garage & a notch in the bottom of the 2X framing that touches the ground. Hope that makes sense to you.....
3) sliding the crate down the ramp and it is in the garage, the ply keeps it from simply flying down the ramp like the planer story posting on the board now.
4) uncrate & assemble
5) Dial it in and make sawdust
6) Take & post pics
But I've got access to loading dock & forklift at work so I arrange for machinery delivery to work so it makes life easy or easier anyway.
I will also be doing this VERY same procedure later today as UPS Freight will be here any minute with a G0513X2....:D :D :D delivery appointment from 9 to 3...tick, tick, tick. As a tease the big brown truck already dropped off the Shop Fox mobile base.

Greg

Doug Shepard
11-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Was that tailgate or liftgate??? I know a case of beer can go a long way towards getting friends to help!:D

Problem is that most truck drivers won't wait long enough for your friends to get good and sloshed.:D

Lance Norris
11-08-2007, 2:09 PM
If you have access to a pick-up truck... go to the freight depot and pick-up your item. Then back into your garage and un-crate your new tool. remove everything you can from the machine and have several friends there ready to help. I did this with my cabinet saw and large planer, moving them into my basement.

Dave MacArthur
11-09-2007, 12:16 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=625068

From a different post, but pertinent:
I recently bought and moved a used Powermatic 66 40 miles across Phoenix, did it 100% by myself, and didn't even strain a muscle. Here is what I did:
1. Bought a "shop crane" from Harbor Freight. The 1 ton version is fine, and it happens to be on sale Jun 1-3 for $99! It has foldable legs and can be stored against a wall, OR PLACED IN YOUR PICKUP... which I did.
2. Rented a U-Haul Motorcycle trailer for 20$.
3. Drove to guy's house with crane in pickup, folded up on it's side and trailer.
4. Oh yeah, also bought a 10' chain with hooks at HF for 7$. I wrapped this around the PM66 under both extension wings.
5. Hook up the crane, hand pump the thing up a foot, and roll it on the mobile shop crane (4 wheels...) with very light pressure over to the motorcycle trailer, and lower it on. You MIGHT be able to lift the thing high enough to just place the 400 poundish saw in your pickup bed!
6. Drive home.
7. Reverse process.

Another good point is that I use the crane to make my PM66 "mobile", and get the great stability of no base and firmly sitting on the floor. Takes 3 min to hook it up and move it around if needed.

Use of a shop crane makes this loading/unloading a total 1-man snap, and lets you move stuff around your shop without mobility kits pretty easily.

Good luck

SCOTT ANDREWS
11-09-2007, 12:40 AM
So I am approaching the final choice on either the Rikon 10-325 or the Grizzly G0513X. The final consideration is given to weight and mobility. I need it on a mobile base so i can move it out of the way when I am not using it.

For those who use them, is the G0513X too much to handle? Shown shipping weight of 414lbs (how many people would i need to get this thing off of the truck, into my garage, and onto the mobile base?) Is it layed horizontally on a pallet, or delivered vertically? Grizzly is very clear that they won't help you unload it. What all would i need to get this thing moved from the truck to garage?

Thanks in advance.

Order the liftgate service.The truck driver has a pallet jack on his truck.Offer him a $20 bill to roll it in your garage for you.My "ex" 513X was delivered on a pallet in the vertical position.Put your mobile base together,then carefully walk it from the pallet to the base.I did mine by myself without any problems.Yes they are top heavy,just don't lean it backwards at an extreme angle.Cut a piece of 3/4" or 1" plywood to fit inside the base before you slide the saw on it.Use the existing holes in the base of the saw and drill through both the plywood and mobile base.Bolt the saw to the mobile base with the plywood inbetween the saw and the base.They will roll around in your shop pretty easily as long as you don't get in a real hurry.The plywood is there so the bottom door will clear the base when you open it.Hope that helps.

Joe Mioux
11-09-2007, 4:33 AM
buy the griz, order the liftgate and from there you can get it in the mobile base. If not, then wait for a friend to come home after work and help you get the bs in the mobile base.

Remember, you will be taking delivery sometime during the workday and probably won't have friends to help until after work.

joe

alex grams
11-09-2007, 7:35 AM
thanks for the info. especially regarding the piece of plywood to help the bottom door clear the base.

alex grams
11-09-2007, 8:28 AM
also, in regards to the mobile base (excellent advise on the plywood by the way). But has anyone had experience with the grizzly one, as compared to the woodcraft universal one? I've done some searching, but no head-to-head comparisons, and i am sure it applies to a case by case basis which is better.

Thanks again.

Greg Cole
11-09-2007, 8:56 AM
Alex,
I unloaded my G0513X2 last night with the help of my 6 year old little dude.:D
The handy dandy 2X4 trick and a strong back... I used to extra padding and straps to secure the saw inside the crate so as to lay it on it's back for the 8 mile ride home from work. Also had to brace up the crate some as it wasn't going to go with the saw when I laid it down, but the crate was fine for upright shipping as it came from the warehouse in MO.
I also get the saw uncrated & blocked up off the floor to put the mobile base under it but was dragged back to work last night for a few hours.:mad: I have everything laid out for assembly tonight.
Anyway, I may have gone a degree or 2 overboard on the base, I bought the super heavy duty Shop Fox base with mine (rated to 1200 lbs). I've got the middle duty one under my TS and heavy duty one under my 8" jointer. Obviously I like'em or wouldn't keep buying them.

Cheers,
Greg

alex grams
11-09-2007, 9:53 AM
I saw your post yesterday and your cell phone pics Greg. What made you decide to get the cast iron trunnion for 125$ more? Most all of my use will be for a flat surface cut, very few angled (off of vertical) cuts. For my purposes, i would think the 513x would be just as effective. (please correct me if i am wrong). I look forward to you posting some more pictures.

glenn bradley
11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Griz took a hit with reviewers on the stamped steel trunnions. This started a grousing amongst the faithful readers; myself included. I have the G0513X and can find no faults with the steel trunnions although I expected to. The reviews didn't really find fault with them either other than the fact that they were not CI. Some saws reviewed used cast-whatever and still did well. Not that I would feel good about that without trying it either.

I was pre-disposed to discover a weakness but could not. At any rate it appears Griz is discontinuing the G0513X and will go with only the X2. Sometimes, perception is reality and the manufacturers that are smart give folks what they want. While the 513X is still available (if it is indeed going to be discontinued at all, possible rumor) I would not hesitate to save a little money now that I know the stability and strength of what I thought was a weakness.

alex grams
11-09-2007, 10:40 AM
the 513x with resaw fence is currently at 850, down from 975. Hence why it is on my list.

Greg Cole
11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Alex,
Honestly I had a neighbor who started getting his feet wet in WW'ing and he was always interested in my G0513.... and we'd talked about going to Springfield "on of these days". Anyway he moved recently to a house with a detached garage and he offered to buy my 0513 for what I paid for it & even $100 for the shipping and the mobile base too. :D So, I kinda of got this saw "free" or close enough to make it painless. Same blade size etc, even better, as I only gave the stock el-cheapo blade with the saw sale.
I didn't have any issues with the steel version, but quite frankly I didn't cut anything really big or heavy either. When I move back "home" to Vermont in 2-3 years, I have MANY relatives that work in the lumber-timber industry and will have free access to a Woodmizer an uncle owns... so why not have the heavy duty trunnions for that potential. I'd like to have gone to a bigger saw but my shop now is a 2 car garage "under" the house so ceiling height was an issue. The 17" saw on the mobile base clears the bump down for duct work by about ohh.. 1/4" & only after I remove the eyebolt from the top of the saw.

Greg

tyler jones wa
11-09-2007, 12:32 PM
I just got the 513X, and I did not have any problem moving it at all. Always get the biggest most powerful machine you can afford, work out the details later!

Seriously - a friend and I moved it about 100' across grass on a big dolley then down 3 steps, in a 6 foot tall basement door, then another 25' into another doorway. we each held a handle of the dolley and wheeled it around almost flat on its back. the grizzly guys that loaded it in our trailer put it on its back and told me it was ok to transport it this way. the room it is in is only 1" taller than the machine on the mobile base, so I cut a hole in the ceiling and tilted it up and onto the mobile base by myself with no difficulty.

Moving the G0453 15" planer was a different story.... that thing is heavy.

David Eppler
11-09-2007, 1:19 PM
I just brought home the Rikon a few weeks ago. The guys in the store helped me load it in the truck but getting it out and assembled was up to me alone (didn't want to wait for my son to get home to help me). Without the table attached I was able to lift it up onto the base by myself (not easily, but doable if you are tall enough).

Jim Watkinson
11-09-2007, 1:36 PM
I have the same delivery problem for large equipment and spoke with a Grizzly customer service rep in September about it. His suggestion was to order delivery service from a firm that would provide inside delivery, i.e. they not only take it off the truck, but also bring it into the work area where you'll be planning to use the equipment. This service is booked by Grizzly for you, so you have to discuss it at the time of your order. They will then search to see if they have a shipper in your area that will serve them. As a consequence there may be locations where this is not available. But it can make things much easier for you and is certainly worth another conversation with a Grizzly rep.

JW

alex grams
11-09-2007, 1:39 PM
i talked with the grizzly person this morning, and if you order from them, they have contracts with liftgate providers, so it costs them about 30$ for liftgate service, as opposed to 50-100$ you could expect to pay from someone else.

Another reassuring fact :)