PDA

View Full Version : "Super Glue" gone amuck...

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Yesterday afternoon, I received a call from the younger's school indicating she had a small cut over her eye from falling off the slide in After-Care. So we all trundled off to the local ER to get it fixed...facial movements are tough on cuts trying to close all by themselves.

To make a long story short, the nurse-practitioner did a fine job at fixing the cut...but also accidentally glued the younger's left eye shut. Oy! Arrgh! We're still dealing with it today...it's partially open, but the excellent Dr. who took care of my LASIK back in 2003 is going to see her between appts this afternoon to check that there is no damage, etc. For obvious reasons, we want an independent evaluation. Oy! Arrgh! D'oh! :mad:

Of course, she's in the next room watching a video...no school today for her! LOL:p

Brian Weick
11-08-2007, 10:10 AM
that gives me an idea, My aunt that can never keep her mouth- in the closed position, maybe,,,,,,,,,,nah- LOL - I do love her, just talks your ear off!
I hope your daughter gets her eye open soon, sort of like this :eek: - what a drag for her:(
Brian

Ken Fitzgerald
11-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Oops!

Jim......Good luck with that. I'll bet the NP was the color of a ripe tomato after that "minor" problem!

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I'll be the NP was the color of a ripe tomato after that "minor" problem!

If only... ;) But not, unfortunately...:mad:

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 8:43 PM
Well, the Dr. who did my LASIK back in 2003 took a look at Alesya's eye this afternoon and was able to pry it apart without any damage or pain. Problem solved.

Ron Jones near Indy
11-08-2007, 8:48 PM
Glad to hear that Jim. It had to be somewhat terrifying for her, and unsettling for all of you until it was determined there is no serious damage.

Chuck Wintle
11-09-2007, 1:41 PM
Well, the Dr. who did my LASIK back in 2003 took a look at Alesya's eye this afternoon and was able to pry it apart without any damage or pain. Problem solved.

I once glued my fingers together and that was bad enough. I can't imagine what it must be like having one's eye glued shut. :eek:

Kyle Kraft
11-10-2007, 6:49 PM
I can't make it through winter without copious amounts of super glue. In my line of work the hands are either attacked by solvents or simply from frequent handwashing. My thumbs start cracking in October and don't finish until April.

I'd be a bit leery using it around the eyes!!!

Tom Hamilton
11-10-2007, 6:55 PM
Jim, Glad to hear the sticky situation is over. Super Glue is a wonderful product in the "right" places. ;)

Best regards, Tom

Jim Becker
11-10-2007, 9:28 PM
Well, the hospital doesn't use the glue from Hobby Lobby, but it's obviously pretty effective in holding skin together...:eek: :o

Everything seems fine at this point. A little redness, but no irritation, other than the "irritation" brought on by a parent insisting on applying the prescribed ointment at bed time. ;)

Russ Filtz
11-12-2007, 8:42 AM
Story has it super glue was either adapted or developed for combat medics during the vietnam war to help with casualties. People look at you funny when you superglue a papercut, so I usually relate that story.

Ken Garlock
11-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi Russ. The original super glue was invented at Eastman Kodak in 1942 while researching a new plastic for gun sites. You are probably right about using it in Vietnam.

For more information go to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate).