PDA

View Full Version : Saw this video on flattening boards with hand planes

Eddie Darby
11-08-2007, 7:17 AM
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=29716

Thought some of you would enjoy this.

Tyler Howell
11-08-2007, 8:04 AM
Good one Eddie,
Thanks
What amazed me is he could talk through the whole process with out being winded.
I'm going to cancel my health club membership and pick up my planes;)

Lewis Moon
11-08-2007, 8:20 AM
Good one Eddie,
Thanks
What amazed me is he could talk through the whole process with out being winded.
Man! I was amazed that he wasn't dripping sweat! I've always said that hand planes were better than pilates when it came to working core strength.
Here in AZ I have to wear NBA style wrist bands and a bandana on my head to keep the sweat off my work (and my precious iron planes :eek: ).
I love the use of the skew angle to "joint" the panel. I might have gone with my #6 or #4 1/2 for the wider blade.

James Mittlefehldt
11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
I liked his workbench, it looked like he actually does something on it.

Jeff Craven
11-08-2007, 6:41 PM
Thanks for posting, I can't stop watching the rest of his videos.

Brian Hale
11-08-2007, 6:44 PM
It appears (sounds) like he's just dragging the plane backwards without lifting or tilting it. I thought that was a no-no. :confused:

Brian :)

Jim Galvin
11-08-2007, 6:59 PM
I have taken classes with Phil, he truly an unbelieveable teacher and craftsman. The speed that he does things is jaw dropping. He sharpens his plane irons low tech some swipes on an 800 grit japanese King waterstone then a couple of swipes on a 1200 grit waterstone followed by stropping on a piece on leather with some yellowstone....razor sharp in minutes. He wrote an article about his bench in Fine Woodworking.

Jim

Wilbur Pan
11-08-2007, 8:00 PM
Good one Eddie,
Thanks

Or, it may be that flattening a board is easier than one might think. ;)

Eddie Darby
11-09-2007, 5:22 AM
I have taken classes with Phil, he truly an unbelieveable teacher and craftsman. The speed that he does things is jaw dropping. He sharpens his plane irons low tech some swipes on an 800 grit japanese King waterstone then a couple of swipes on a 1200 grit waterstone followed by stropping on a piece on leather with some yellowstone....razor sharp in minutes. He wrote an article about his bench in Fine Woodworking.

Jim
If you look below the video, there are 8 questions that he answers with videos, and one of them is how he puts a camber on a blade. Yup he's quick alright!

Pam Niedermayer
11-09-2007, 5:53 AM
That's a nice little series, should get beginners to a better point for asking questions. I especially liked the scraper plane tuning.

Pam

Dusty Fuller
11-09-2007, 9:49 AM
Wooden planes.... mmmmm.... makes me want to leave work and go tothe shop! I've got some tuning to do and shavings to make! Love the bench and the shop itself.

Dusty

Marcus Ward
11-09-2007, 1:44 PM
That was also pine he was working on. I can plane pine all day and not break a sweat. Probably doesn't hurt his planes are tuned to the nth degree and sharper than sharp.

Eddie Darby
11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
It appears (sounds) like he's just dragging the plane backwards without lifting or tilting it. I thought that was a no-no. :confused:

Brian :)

I don't know what he is doing, but I will sometimes, when doing rough work, just lift the heel of the plane up off the wood when going back. This leaves the front toe to drag.
This guides me when I am working quick.
When I want to do a finishing cut, then I make sure that the plane is off completely.

Garth Keel
11-11-2007, 5:37 PM
Good information. Thanks

Lewis Moon
11-12-2007, 7:58 PM
I thought it looked and sounded like pine....

Mark Stutz
11-12-2007, 10:30 PM
There is a subtle difference in the sound on the reverse stroke. I try to just slightly tip the plane to the side on the pull stroke...the blade does not touch but the edge of the sole still rides on the wood. This may be what he is doing. It's a lot less tiring than lifting the entire plane off the surface, especially if using a jointer. It takes a little concentration at first but soon becomes second nature.

Mark