PDA

View Full Version : Electric Vacuum System - Project EVS

Keith Outten
11-07-2007, 10:13 PM
I have ordered the Project EVS kit from Joe Woodworker that is designed to provide a quick and inexpensive means of building a vacuum clamping system for my ShopBot. I haven't had the need for a full table vacuum system but occasionally I have the need to clamp small parts and plaques.

I found the Joe Woodworker web site and after a bit of research determined that a small Gast compressor I own will be suitable for building the JWW EVS vacuum clamp. The parts arrived yesterday and I have already assembled both of the small manifolds.

If anyone is interested in my progress I would be glad to take some pictures of the build as it progresses.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Sure Keith, it is always great to see your progress pictures. Even though I have the larger CNC's with full table vacuum coverage, it is still good to see smaller more focused vacuum systems and maybe I can apply some of it to mine for smaller 1 up's instead of having to use a 20hp vac with 80% of the table covered with scrap laminate.
I'd love to make a pod system with a 2" thick HDPE, PVC or Phenolic bed and either Carter pods or make my own out of tubular Delrin with O-rings at each end. But I can't justify the 6K it would cost to get as many pods as I would want to cover what I currently do now. I would need
3 to 4 - 3"pods per part and 45 parts per sheet and then I would have to make the configuration work for all our different types of parts. So right now making dedicated ones work but I can see it would save space from not having to store 30+ dedicated spoil-boards.

Keith Outten
11-08-2007, 8:07 AM
Michael,

Your killin me with the big iron...20 hp Vac :)

Here is a picture I grabbed from the JWW web site (posted without permission) that shows what the finished pump will look like. BTW the pump would be suitable for clamping, vacuum bagging and lathe work.
I will provide credit by posting a link to his page. http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/EVS/concept.htm
Complete instructions are online and JWW has a PDF file available that details the entire build and parts required. The kit is on sale for $147.00 without the pump.

Neal Schlee
11-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Keith,

I built a similair unit using a small oil v-pump I had, bought most of the parts from Joe. We use it exclusively for bag laminating marine plywood for our boat kit bidness. Works great! :)

Neal

Michael Kowalczyk
11-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Michael,

Your killin me with the big iron...20 hp Vac :)

Here is a picture I grabbed from the JWW web site (posted without permission) that shows what the finished pump will look like. BTW the pump would be suitable for clamping, vacuum bagging and lathe work.
I will provide credit by posting a link to his page. http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/EVS/concept.htm
Complete instructions are online and JWW has a PDF file available that details the entire build and parts required. The kit is on sale for $147.00 without the pump.

Sorry Keith:( No harm intended.
I looked at the link above and read up a little on the pumps and boy it is hard for me to fathom using a 1 -3 CFM vac pump. My 5hp is 79CFM and the 20HP is 360 CFM but the Electric company reminds me every month that >HP + >CFM = >$$$$$$bills.
I do get to have fun when kids or someone who has never seen a CNC or Vacuum system work. I have a sheet of MDF on the table with the pump on and I place a small sample (12" x12") of melamine on the table and ask them if they could get it for me. The look on their face is a Mastercard moment. "Priceless". Then they start putting other objects on the table and trying it. The more they put on it the stronger the hold, I mean force in which the atmospheric pressure is pushing down or something like that. I forget the details and the verbiage but it still amazes me that it is not being sucked down to the table but being pushed down with I think 1440 lbs per square inch or square foot of pressure or something like that.