Giant economy size lathe. :)
Keep going there is more than one page.

http://tinyurl.com/mfu4r

Jonathan Harvey
11-07-2007, 9:49 PM
WOW WOW WOW :eek:

Tim A. Mitchell
11-07-2007, 10:07 PM
How nice of them to turn a skate park for the kids!! That thing is a monster.

For those that are metrically challenged (or din't make it all the way to the end), that is about 13 feet 2 inches. Quite an undertaking.

Brett Baldwin
11-07-2007, 11:24 PM
I wonder how many meters he is thrown when he has a bad catch.:eek:

All I can say is those guys must really love their salad a LOT!

TYLER WOOD
11-08-2007, 10:24 AM
well pretty poor finish on it if you ask me. Looks like t desperately need to be sanded!!!

David Epperson
11-08-2007, 10:48 AM
well pretty poor finish on it if you ask me. Looks like t desperately need to be sanded!!!
Did anyone else notice that it's segmented as well? Looks like quite the event going on in the meantime...wish I understood German (I think). :D

Brian Weick
11-08-2007, 10:57 AM
If that will be big enough for my cornflakes in the morning, if i had 10 kids- they could just use this one bowl ~ I think there would be less bowls to wash after breakfast.- :D
that is huge- segmented- maybe Jim King can out-do that one?
Brian

Frank Kobilsek
11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I think a Club in Austrailia turned a 8 or 10' bowl the same way a few years ago. Now the Germans have 13'. Its time for us Americans to step up to the challenge and reach for a new record.

Who's in? Some fairgrounds, somewhere in the heartland of the US, say 4th of July weekend 2008. We just need somebody to donate the wood and the glue and the food and the beer. Oh we need somebody with a welder, a tractor and the crane about a million clamps.

Frank

David Epperson
11-08-2007, 11:32 AM
I think a Club in Austrailia turned a 8 or 10' bowl the same way a few years ago. Now the Germans have 13'. Its time for us Americans to step up to the challenge and reach for a new record.

Who's in? Some fairgrounds, somewhere in the heartland of the US, say 4th of July weekend 2008. We just need somebody to donate the wood and the glue and the food and the beer. Oh we need somebody with a welder, a tractor and the crane about a million clamps.

Frank
And possibly a surplus Ferris Wheel frame. :D

Steve Busey
11-08-2007, 2:04 PM
Looks like quite the event going on in the meantime...wish I understood German (I think). :D

You can view it thru the Google translation tools to get an idea of what's going on: http://tinyurl.com/2mmotm

Dusty Fuller
11-08-2007, 2:23 PM
That goes under the "just because we can" column of human history, right next to amphibious cars and those foot scooters with small gas engines... anyone want to make a bowl gouge to really match the size of that thing?

DF

Bill Wyko
11-08-2007, 2:57 PM
What a shame, the lathe won't fit in my shop.:cool: :D

Alex Elias
11-08-2007, 3:45 PM
Now that is a bowl. Since I can't read German, did anyone understood what king of finish they are doing on the bowl? A CA would bring up a nice gloss sheen to it.

Leland Berry
11-12-2007, 7:46 AM

Frank
Frankly, I LIKE the idea. Surely hidden in SMC are engineers, maybe a
promoter, a doctor and nurse etc., and a few who thrive on a challenge.
It would raise $$ ffor the creek. There's proably a Lathe MFR who'd like
the exposure. Lets see, I have a welder, tractor, a strong back, weak mind.--Whats that make only 2 so far ?

Jim King
11-12-2007, 10:10 AM

Frank

I would donate the purpleheart or bloodwood needed delivered to Texas s4s KD ready to glue up and try to get the proper glue. Now you have a start. But I do think July 2008 is a year early. These type of things take TIME.

Leland Berry
11-13-2007, 7:08 AM
That makes 3--Just Imagine a 20 ft diameter Purpleheart Bowl ?--2 or
3 D4 bulldozers could clamp it up---There'd be more folks show up to
see that than a county fair or a goat-roping'.--I agree, 6/4/08 may
be rushing it. I think the promotional/advertising value would have
sponsors kicking the door down !

Dean Thomas
11-13-2007, 7:28 PM
This was turned as a "world record" attempt in 2005. It showed up somewhere on Discovery channel, I think. Can't fine any details but it seems to me that the number of segments was over 10,000, and that it was done in SPF or the German equivalent. 2x stock.