PDA

View Full Version : Request for advice-turning large stock

t peterson
11-07-2007, 8:44 PM
Good evening. I will be turning a couple of pieces of wood that measure 17" diameter, 27" length and 56" in circumference. I'd guess each piece weighs in at 70-90 pounds. Initially, I was undecided about using my 6" faceplate or purchasing an 8" ($100). After throwing these things around today I have decided on the 8". If any of you have experience with stock this large and can offer advice it would be appreciated. I'm particulary interested in recommendaions as to what type of center to use in the tailstock, initial RPMs and the use of plastic no-lock spindle washers. The wood is probably either elm or box elder. It has some age on it and I'll know for sure after the first couple of passes.My lathe is a Powermatic 3520 and it will handle stock of this dimension comfortably.

All advice will be considered. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

John Hart
11-07-2007, 9:03 PM
My advice, for what it is worth is..... go real slow....in your approach that is. Stainless steel screws and under 100 rpm to start. Take it easy and don't get in a hurry. Dunno if the 8" faceplate is really necessary though. And thats all I'm gonna say ;) I think I need some lacquer. (hic):o

Bill Stevener
11-07-2007, 9:25 PM
What John said. I have a One way tail stock center which is very good, however I think the Nova is the best, more bearings. Don't believe in the plastic no-lock spindle washers.

Richard Madison
11-07-2007, 11:17 PM
What they said. My 6" faceplate has 12, or maybe it's more, screw holes. Use 'em all, and/but you will want a flat and square cut on that end of the log. Your stock "live" center should be just fine. I prefer the cup center with a point in its center over the screw-on cone. The former seems to stay put, and the latter sometimes just wallows out a hole. Definitely agree with Bill to avoid the plastic washers.

Brodie Brickey
11-08-2007, 7:03 AM
Tom,

I've got a 3520 also. I've used a 6" faceplate with stock that size and not had an issue. Your screws should fill the entire hole in the faceplate. Go slow and as you're roughing keep an eye out for large protuberances. If you can, cut those off with a hand or reciprocating saw.

The PM live center should work just fine. For greater piece of mind, take a forstner bit and drill a 1/2 deep hole where your center will go and set it in there.

t peterson
11-08-2007, 8:19 AM
Thanks for the advice. You saved me a hundred bucks for a ew faceplate.

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Personally, I'd be using lag screws for something that "stout"...and a heavy faceplate made to handle them.

Brian Weick
11-08-2007, 10:42 AM
If it were me, I would use a face plate and screw the stock on to it, that is the "safe" way to turn large face turned material. I do that with large turnings and it works out much better and is more stable.:)
Brian

John Hart
11-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Personally, I'd be using lag screws for something that "stout"...and a heavy faceplate made to handle them.

Yep...I agree. I'm in the habit of using Stainless Lag Screws for everything. I'll vary the length of the screw depending on the blank...but they sure hold nice! ......except when they don't. Blam!!:eek: :D :o