PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch

John Clarke
11-07-2007, 8:32 PM
Hi,
We are trying to engrave a logo on the back of an iPod Touch. Does anyone have any experience with this? We were thinking of using Cermark and are looking at some recommendations as to using a spray can or buying, mixing and then using an airbrush. Thanks for your help.

John Clarke

Justin Harrington
11-08-2007, 1:51 AM
Hi John

I have already done a couple of these. I simply apply the paste with a extremely soft flat tipped brush. The paste is diluted to give a smooth even coat, the thinner the better. As a precaution I usualy apply paste, laser, without moving the iPod apply thin coat again and laser. I like to do this just to ensure there are no brush marks after I've removed the paste.

Something to remember is that they scratch extemely easily. I use a soft piece of wet sponge to wipe off the paste without appling any pressure and then dry with a lint free cloth.

Hope this helps.

John Clarke
11-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks.

I ended up buying a can of spray and using that. It looks great. I think that I may end up buying an airbrush if I end up with any more large orders.

Larry Bratton
11-09-2007, 5:27 PM
Thanks.

I ended up buying a can of spray and using that. It looks great. I think that I may end up buying an airbrush if I end up with any more large orders.
John:
A tip for you on using spray cans of Cermark (high dollars). When you finish your job, read the directions on the back of the can for clearing the tube and nozzel. (Turn it upside down and and spray to clear all the Cermark from the nozzel and tube.) If you don't, guess what, your leftover expensive Cermark will remain in the can forever with no way to get out via a blocked nozzel full of dried Cermark/

Brian Conklin
11-09-2007, 10:23 PM
My last can developed a clog and I was advised to puncture a hole in the can a pour remaining product into a small bottle with lid. He recommended turning the puncture point away from me while performing the cut because the pressure may spew it all over me.

Well, there was no pressure and I salvaged the remainder of cermark. I use a foam brush to apply and am very happy with recouping the material.

Brian Robison
11-10-2007, 7:18 PM
I used to drop the spray tip in my ultra sonic cleaner and then blow through it with compressed air if it got clogged. Just a tip, I use the Thermark not the Cermark in the spray can.

Bill Cunningham
11-10-2007, 10:56 PM
There was a recall on some of the cermark cans a while back.. The one I had clogged up, and it was in the recall lot.. I just called them, they got intouch with the distributor, and a new can was shipped out to me.. No charge.. if you do a search here on cermark and recall, you will come up with the lot numbers.. If you have one of those cans, it will pay to have it replaced.. No, they don't want the old one back!!

Bill Jermyn
12-26-2007, 4:53 PM
I did one recently, no Cermark, 100% power, 3% speed on an Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt

Ryan O'Hara
01-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Bill, using these settings what was the outcome? Did it turn black? Did it heat up alot? Do you have any pics? I have a buddy with one and wouldn't mind getting any prior info if you have it?

Mike Watch
01-06-2008, 3:01 PM
Any photo's?

Bill Jermyn
01-07-2008, 11:58 AM
See my pic here: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=728125#post728125

Benedict Roussos
01-21-2008, 12:40 PM
If you search in youube for laser engraving on i-pods or cell phones you ll find many videos!!
Benedict Rousso

Allan Wright
03-10-2008, 1:16 PM
Your other post says 100% speed, 3% power...which is it? I'm assuming 100% power.

I did one recently, no Cermark, 100% power, 3% speed on an Epilog Legend 32EX 75 Watt

Paul Lee
03-14-2008, 5:45 PM
Store your Cermark spray can on its side. That way the heavy material won't settle to the bottom of the can. Allot less shaking to get the right mix.

Tom Majewski
11-27-2008, 2:05 PM
Has anyone else tried engraving the Ipod Touch?
I'm buying one for my stepdaughter and want to engrave the back, but don't want to buy two...lol.

Any baseline settings for 45W and airbrushed cermark?

Thanks,
Tom

Joe Hayes
11-27-2008, 7:25 PM
Baseline setting for CerMark is 100P and half your watts for speed.
For 45 watt I would set about 22 speed. Best to do a grid of square and on scrap SS and test your speed above and below the 22 to get it perfect before going to your IPod.

I do quite a bit of SS ID tags each month and tweeking the setting for each laser is important for the best results. Test, Test and Test. IMHO

Daniel Muller
03-24-2009, 5:01 PM
I know there is stuff out there for an IPOD TOUCH but here is my input. Used Cermark Tape and 12s/100p this is the result. also attached is the template I used. Just write what you want in those 2 spaces and remove the other boxes as they are outlining things on the ipod. Hope this helps someone.
Dan

Dave Johnson29
03-24-2009, 6:23 PM
Just write what you want in those 2 spaces and remove the other boxes as they are outlining things on the ipod.

Hi Dan,

Just a tip to mark all but the Text as non-printable.

Select the two lots of text and Cut (not copy) to the clipboard (Ctrl-x)

Click
Window
Dockers
Object Manager

Look for the little printer symbol to the left of all the layers and make sure it is shown as Off.

Right click in the Object Manager and select "New Layer"

Name that new layer "Text" then go back to the workspace and paste to that new layer. The text will go back to where it was visually but now on the Text layer.

Now you should have only a single layer (Text) showing the printer icon and that's all that will print.