PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations Please

Paul Dombroski
11-07-2007, 8:30 PM
Can anyone recommend a good Sliding Compound Miter Saw. I need one that I can take to the job site. I do have DeWalt in the shop but hate to move it and be at a loss for a cutoff in the shop while it is on the job.
Thanks,
Paul

Eric Gustafson
11-07-2007, 8:58 PM
I have the Makita LS1013. It is 10" so it is more portable than a 12". It cuts so smooth it looks like a planed edge. Repeatable and accurate. I got mine refurbished on EBAY. Works perfect.

frank shic
11-07-2007, 9:03 PM
are you sure you really need a sliding compound miter saw? are you going to be cutting wide boards? are you cutting really high moldings? are you comfortable with giving up some accuracy? the reason i ask is because SCMS are much heavier than their a regular CMS require much more room to use.

Dave Falkenstein
11-07-2007, 9:42 PM
I use the small Hitachi SCMS - 8-1/2" I think - for job site work. I couple the SCMS with a folding work table, similar to the Workmate, for a stand. The small Hitachi has the same 12" depth of cut as many of the larger saws, but is lighter and easier to transport. Of course, you will sacrifice some cutting thickness, but that never was an issue for me.

Jim Kountz
11-07-2007, 10:05 PM
I second Daves suggestion. That little Hitachi is great for the jobsite. I had one for years. I do use the larger 12" Dewalt these days but its only because the work I do requires a larger cutting capacity. I mounted mine on one of those MSUV from HD and its a nice combo that one person can move around "fairly" easily.

Todd Jensen
11-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Hitachi remains my favorite dual-slide; no offense to the Makita LS1013 owners, but in my experience on wide boards that saw will cup/push away in the middle, whereas the Hitachis are very accurate. The Makita is still a great saw, I've had 2 of them and 3 of the Hitachi dualslides, but to avoid frustration with wider boards, i.e. skirtboards, tall base laying down, etc., I'd go with the Hitachi. 8 1/2 or 10". The Bosch is also well liked but too bulky and heavy in my opinion. JMO. Also, you didn't mention what you would be using it for, my opinion is based purely on interior finish work, particularly stairs.