PDA

View Full Version : Country music

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-07-2007, 8:14 PM
seems to be anything but.
It sounds more like reheated 1970's rock with country-ish lyrics.

I guess the best word for it is country-pop.

Gary Keedwell
11-07-2007, 8:20 PM
Hey Cliff...How many country western singers does it take to change a light bulb?

Five.......One to change the bulb........and four to sing about how much they miss the old bulb:eek: :D :p
Gary

Matt Meiser
11-07-2007, 8:38 PM
You guys remember that joke about playing a country song backwards and getting all your stuff back?

Its now an actual country song: http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/rascal-flatts/backwards-16926.html

One of my daughter's favorites I might add.

Peter Stahl
11-08-2007, 5:47 AM
I like the counrty-pop, just hope they don't come out with a country-rap! Don't think they'll run out of the old time country/western singers, I like both!

David G Baker
11-08-2007, 8:08 AM
Peter,
I am sure that country rap already exists it just hasn't hit main-stream radio.
I still listen to country but agree that it "just ain't what it once was".
If the radio stations were smart they would focus a little more on the country oldies that the "Baby Boomers" grew up with.

Doug Shepard
11-08-2007, 8:15 AM
I like the counrty-pop, just hope they don't come out with a country-rap! Don't think they'll run out of the old time country/western singers, I like both!

Take a listen to Cowboy Troy.

Greg Cole
11-08-2007, 8:39 AM
Doug beat me to it.... Cowboy Troy. Ugh....
I used to be one to make all the usual jokes about country music like the backwards song etc etc etc....well 8+ years living with my LOML has changed my tune some. She's always been country I was much more heavy metal & classic 70's Led Zep's etc.
I dislike the country pop, whatever you want to call it. It's just not country music. My friends & coworkers wonder how in the world a 33 year old can listen to Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard (and go see him live), Waylon Jennings, George Strait and the likes. These guys write what they live and sing what they write... and oh yeah they can actually play an instrument or two.
Now that I think a little more.... I have alot more respect for those who write lyrics, write the music & perform it. The singing heads & pretty faces have no true talent to rely on, much like the "stars" of reality tv junk, IMO. One hit wonders or short timers making $ for the record label and promoters etc....

Greg

Randy Denby
11-08-2007, 9:13 AM
I grew up on rock...in the late 60's and 70's. Rock went to disco, so I started listening more to country. Actually liked it too. But in the last 10 years or so...its nothing but oldies (both venues) for me. I'm probably sounding like my parents now, but what happened to good music? I hear new country being played at places like the local BBQ hut and I gotta say...its all cookie cutter, sound alike crap! They get some spin on something and say it over and over. All the while trying their best to have a country twang......
With internet downloads and other ways to get music, I bet we are seeing the result of a hurting industry.
BTW, I am kin by marriage (not to him :D ) to Radney Foster.(My uncle married his Aunt -Debbie Foster..does that make us cousins?) When he was a combo of Foster and Lloyd , their music was pretty dang good....I really wish they hadnt broken up. He still puts out a few good songs, just not as many.IMO If I ever see him at a family get together...I'm gonna get the lowdown on whats happening in the industry

Gary Keedwell
11-08-2007, 9:22 AM
At the risk of sounding like an old fuddy duddy, I think in general that there is no more novelty. When I grew up in the 60's there seemed to be 3or 4 new songs on my AM radio every week. Slow songs, fast songs, slow rock, hard rock, ballads, pop, top ten etc. Originality was everywhere. We Baby boomers take alot of flack for alot of things, but there will never be music again like the 60's. IMNSHO;)
Gary

Al Willits
11-08-2007, 9:31 AM
Beasty would agree with ya Randy, she says most new country all sounds alike and not very good, kinda agree with her on that, not much for country but I'd rather listen to Patsy Kline, Don Williams and the rest of the old timers anytime.

Although after a hour of that stuff, I'm thinking I need to call the suicide prevention hotline number...:)

Watched a bit of the CMA and have to say, it was easy to turn off.
I guess they put out whatever sells.

Al...somehow a country rapper just doesn't sound right...:D

Rap...once again proving in the fact you don't have to be talented to make money.

Randy Denby
11-08-2007, 9:38 AM
The first country rap song?

I wanta tell you about a story
of a man named Jed
Poor mountanier
Barely kept his family fed
Then one day
he was shootin at some food
Out from the ground
came a bubblin crude
Oil that is
black gold
texas tea
So they hitched up a truck
And moved to Beverly
:D

Sandra Force
11-08-2007, 2:13 PM
Come on guys, there are a lot of different sounds in Country you just have to expand your horizons. Unfortunately Garth has decided for whatever reason he wants a comeback. He didn't treat his fans right the first time around I see no reason to support him this time:mad: .

Gary Keedwell
11-08-2007, 2:18 PM
LOML and I went on a mini-vacation to Myrtle Beach and saw the Legends Concert. Jery Lee Lewis, Cher, Temptations, Garth Brooks and Elvis. The only one that looked like the real person was Garth.:p
Gary

Greg Cole
11-08-2007, 2:39 PM
Sandra,
I liked "some" Garth music once upon a time..... still do like some of it cause ya hardly hear the "good older" stuff anymore.
But with his 9 concerts in 9 days here in KC, I am about GARTH'ED out... oh yeah they're doing another Extreme Makeover House here this week as well. Is there anything happening in the rest of the world, cause all I hear about is the 2 things above!

Greg

John Shuk
11-09-2007, 8:16 PM
Bubble gum junk. Seems you gotta do some drinking and some pills and maybe even some time to get it right.

Fred Voorhees
11-10-2007, 6:28 PM
I was another who used to make fun of country music. Now, it is all I listen to. I can't imagine not listening to it. Maybe it's age catching up to me, but damn, I care about being able to recognize the words that are being sung. Country music has the heart and soul behind it. I will die still loving country music! Long live Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley and George Strait.

Fred Voorhees
11-10-2007, 6:35 PM
And for the record......I enjoy Cowboy Troys music. Sure, it doesn't have a real country sound, but it's all good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0jvyyz4Bhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP126koDJJk

Ken Garlock
11-10-2007, 6:53 PM
When I got my new car, it came with Sirius Radio. For those that like traditional country music, they have "The Roadhouse", channel 62. It is always on when the car is running.

Fred Voorhees
11-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Come on guys, there are a lot of different sounds in Country you just have to expand your horizons. Unfortunately Garth has decided for whatever reason he wants a comeback. He didn't treat his fans right the first time around I see no reason to support him this time:mad: .

Sandra, I have to ask. How do interpret that he treated his fans poorly the first time around? For treating his fans poorly, they sure didn't show their displeasure since they purchased enough of his records to make him one of the all time highest record sales acts in ALL of music, of ALL time.

Gary Whitt
11-12-2007, 9:47 AM
seems to be anything but.
It sounds more like reheated 1970's rock with country-ish lyrics.

I guess the best word for it is country-pop.
Yep.

That's why I listen to Bluegrass ;)