PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

John Hart
11-07-2007, 7:56 PM
I've been gone a while....and I'm really not going to go into much detail, except to say that my obligations to our bank to complete the renovation on the Amish house I bought had come to a head. I had to drop absolutely everything so that I could focus on this massive project. My apologies to all that have emailed me....and I didn't respond. In fact, I didn't check email or anything for months.

Anyway...all is well. The bank is happy and things are settling down. Soooo...over the past two weeks, I've been tooling up to get ready to turn again. Over the summer, I received two gifts. Dennis Peacock sent me a Steady Rest which he claims he did not do the work.....But there's no real proof, so I think he did.

The other gift came from Ernie Nyvall. This D-Handle Hollowing Rig was put together specifically for my lathe and he also included four great boring bars. All I had to do was rig up a laser and make a handful of cutters and I was ready to rock!

So last week and weekend I put these great tools to the test and came up with these.

They're all cherry with heights of 8", 13" and 12" going from left to right. All finished in spray lacquer. I think one or two will be a birthday gift for my mom this month....if I ever get around to buffing them.:rolleyes:

Anyhoo...that's the short of it. It feels great to be back here and back spinnin'. To Dennis and Ernie.....Thanks again guys....I do believe you changed my life!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-07-2007, 8:01 PM
That explains it! You're back in the "hick" mode again...playing with lacquer!:rolleyes:

Nice work John....all of them!

Bill Stevener
11-07-2007, 8:01 PM
Well Howdy to you John. :D

Skip Spaulding
11-07-2007, 8:03 PM
Sure doesn't look like you forgot how to turn!

Steve Schlumpf
11-07-2007, 8:06 PM
Welcome back John - you were missed!

Earl Reid
11-07-2007, 8:14 PM
Hi John,
Glad to see you back:)

Earl

Barry Elder
11-07-2007, 8:34 PM
John, glad all is reasonably well. Great to see you making woodart again!

Ed Scolforo
11-07-2007, 8:44 PM
Hey, John, good to see you back! Your humor was sorely missed. Sounds like the worse is over for you now.

Bob Hallowell
11-07-2007, 9:00 PM
John good to have you back! you have been missed.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
11-07-2007, 11:21 PM
John it is great to see you back posting and doing some turning. The vases are beautiful as usual. Looks like you haven't missed a beat. Glad to hear things are getting back to normal.

Brett Baldwin
11-07-2007, 11:29 PM
Good to see you again John. Looks like your turning skills haven't atrophied significantly.

Pat Doble
11-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Welcome back. How long til we get teased with more pictures of huge piles of cherry and walnut blanks - or better yet - horsey pictures ?? :)

John Hart
11-08-2007, 6:37 AM
Thanks for the nice welcome back. I owe Nancy and Tom a Thank You as well from the ornament thread....but didn't wanna muck up that thread with "howdys".;)

Don't think there's gonna be much in the way of pics of mountains of wood, as time is still a luxury that I just don't have an abundance. But, what little I have, I'm going to try to squeeze some normal life in there somewhere.

Those ornaments are going to be a blast. Only done one but I've looked around the internet and the possibilities are endless. I have a cherry burl mounted on the lathe right now, half way to a vase...but I think I'm going to take it off and start on an ornament....just to see how it goes.:rolleyes:

Anyways....it's good to be back....I'll try to catch up on some obligations that I unfortunately left hangin' last spring. Bear with me.:)

Benjamin Dahl
11-08-2007, 6:39 AM
John, those pieces look really nice. Welcome back as well.
Ben

Karl Laustrup
11-08-2007, 6:58 AM
Mr. Hart? Mr. John Hart? From somewhere in middle Ohio? I seem to remember a John Hart. ;) :D

Remember I'm old and it takes a while for the memory cells to activate again. :D

Glad to see ya back and glad everything worked out with the hacienda.

As has already been said, you haven't lost your touch with wood on a lathe. :)

Karl

Glenn Hodges
11-08-2007, 9:51 AM
I am glad to see you are back John. Missed your posts of your work, insights, and helpfull hints.

Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia
11-08-2007, 10:44 AM
welcome back
John.

Robert McGowen
11-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Nice to see you posting again John. I hope that everything has worked out for you for the best.

Mike Vickery
11-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Glad to see you back. The piece in the middle really stands out!

David Fried
11-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Having been awol myself, it seemed odd returning to so few familar names.
Welcome back.

Paul Engle
11-08-2007, 11:55 AM
John,
Good to see your smilin face again, I hope the rest of the year works out for you. Your wit and humor was missed, not to mention now it seems you have gotten wayyy better at turning, nicely done indeed!
Paul

Bill Wyko
11-08-2007, 11:59 AM
welcome back John. Nice work you did there. Like ridin' a bike.:D

Don Orr
11-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Sure good to see you back "up the Creek". Glad to hear things are going well with the house. Also happy to see you didn't forget how to turn. Been wondering if you were OK.

John Hart
11-08-2007, 1:36 PM
Geez....ya'll are too nice.:o
I find my self eager to get in the shop moreso now than ever.

By the way.....I noticed an improvement in my technique when I finally got back at it.....And I think it's because of all the time building and plumbing and wiring the house where I got to just "think" about turning. I actually think that that thinking, thought me through the thought process as though really turning. Though thought isn't everything...ya think? :confused:

TYLER WOOD
11-08-2007, 1:54 PM
Nahhh, you still need help. Spray lacquer?, come on now, buffing it out? Tell the truth the horses turned those while you were plumbing and your taking credit for their work! HORSE APPLES!!!!!!

Jim Becker
11-08-2007, 2:43 PM
Welcome back, John!!!

Ron Journeau
11-08-2007, 2:49 PM
Oh, this is a treat, John. So happy to see you back in the water. As stated already, absolutely wonderful pieces, with a stunning finish. Welcome back,sir.

Pete Jordan
11-08-2007, 3:10 PM
Good to see ya John. I thought maybe the neighbor had you pulling his wagon or something. Did he run out of wood yet?

Andy Hoyt
11-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Whoa Nelly!

John Hart
11-09-2007, 6:13 AM
I don't think that's very funny Mr Hoyt. I would never wear stripes with my cape. :rolleyes:

Yeah Pete...Last time I looked, there were still some trees out in the woods....Gonna try to score some Pepperidge and Ironwood this weekend if time permits.

Tyler....tsk tsk....the horses around here live the life of horsie heaven. Sheesh...even Walmart has cushy stables in the parking lot. The people do all the work!!:p

Colleen Devine
11-09-2007, 7:16 AM
Hi, John,

It's great to see that you are posting again!

Best regards,
Colleen

Kenneth Hertzog
11-09-2007, 7:30 AM
John
I was thinkin about ya the other day wondering if you finished the house work inorder to get back to the shop. I have a dry piece of ironwood
(hornbeam) about 8 inch Dia. and still in log form. how long of a piece do you feel like turning. Will send ya a piece if you wish. :D
Glad to see ya with a little time on your hands.
ken

robert hainstock
11-09-2007, 8:48 AM
HI JOHN,
I'M, A NEW GUY. AND UNDERSTAND HAVING TO GET AWAY FOR VARIOUS REASONS. JUST WANTED TO TELL YOU I'VE SEEN YOUR DTEADY REST SOMEWHERE BEFORE. MY NEIGHBOR, STEVE SCHLUMPF AND I BOTH BUILT A STEADY REST THIS SUMMER, MINE A SIMPLE BOX FRAME, AND HIS MORE LIKE THE ONE YOU DISPLAY IN THE PIX. IT IS GREAT TO RETURN TO THE PURSUIT OF ROUND THINGS OUT OF WOOD AFTER AN ABSENCE.
BOB:p

John Hart
11-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks y'all for such a warm welcome back.:o

Colleen, I am honored that you should make such a rare post...Made me feel all gushy inside.:)

Ken...I'll tell ya...I turned an Ironwood vase last week and was astounded by how pleasurable it is to turn. The colors were great and it sanded up like glass. It was hard of course....but nothing that a little sharpening every 2 minutes couldn't handle. I might take you up on that offer if we don't make it out in the woods this weekend!!;)

Thanks to you as well Bob. I've noticed a lot of new faces and names 'round these parts over the past few days. Lots of people to get to know....hmmm....Lots of new people to throw rocks at me!:eek: :D

TYLER WOOD
11-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Oh rocks are the least of your worries. I might be more inclined to worry about the logs! They hurt, and make you get in the shop to turn them. Time and pain buddy!!! AND SPLINTERS!!!!:eek:

Tom Sherman
11-09-2007, 4:53 PM
John be wary AH has a can full of Mayo waste he's looking to unload.

Christopher Zona
11-10-2007, 12:02 AM
John,

Still waiting to see the monster lathe from the "I wanna build something big" thread.

You inspired me to design something of my own in your abscence. 5hp, 30+ swing.

John Hart
11-10-2007, 8:51 PM
Chris....Funny you should ask.
I had a surprise Creeker visit today. Earl Reid and his Brother-In-Law Merv came by to see if I really had my lathe running, or if I was pulling everyone's chain....And they caught me in the act.;)

We had a nice visit and he asked about the giant lathe as well. I'm ready to build it. I have all the steel, the mounting hardware and the pulleys. I just have to come up with the cash to get some good bearing blocks. I still have some drawings to finish up as well. But I'll get to it. It's kinda like a dream lathe to me. I'm anxious to get it all together.:) Do you have drawings of your design done? If so, I like to see it.

Earl Reid
11-10-2007, 9:22 PM
We had a nice visit with John today. He demostated the hollowing rid Ernie sent him and the laser. Its quite an operation, also the steady rest Dennis sent him.
His ornament is a real work of art and will be a nice addition to someones Christmas. John gave me some deer antler to turn,will be my first try.

Many thanks to John and good luck to him.

Earl:) :) :) :)

Christopher Zona
11-11-2007, 11:00 PM
John,

I'm still in the design phase. Time has been highjacked by the installation of a woodstove so that I can burn all of the rejects.

Now that that's done, I'm allowed to play now and intend to fire things up and complete the design and learn how to do a bit of welding and get this thing going.

It's getting exciting...