PDA

View Full Version : A very simple ROS jig

Rich Engelhardt
11-07-2007, 5:21 PM
Hello,
Took all of a dollar and less than a half hour.
I'd been frustrated getting the holes in the paper and the holes in the pad aligned exactly.
A 3/8" dowel cut to length and holes drilled through the scrap plywood base now make alignment automatic.

Dust pickup has increased significantly and swirl marks have been eliminated.
The short dowels can hold ~ 5 sheets and are just shy of the depth of the holes in the pad.
The long dowel holds either more pads, or scrap pads that are glued together to form "non-skid" pads.

Gary Keedwell
11-07-2007, 5:27 PM
Maybe you have something there, but to be quite honest, I have never experienced a problem like you describe. I have had swirl marks on my coarse grits but by the time I progress to the finer grits, I don't see them.:o That being said, whatever works for you Rich, stick with it.:)
Gary

Bill White
11-07-2007, 5:42 PM
Duh! Why didn't I think of that? Great idea. Can I steal it for my shop?
Bill

Richard Dooling
11-07-2007, 5:43 PM
Rich,
I tend to be a little anal about these things and I like the holes to line up. Once you start to apply the paper it is a pain to try to realign. I can see where this might help with dust collection some. I'll definitely make one of these just for the gadgitiness factor. Fun.

Bill Wyko
11-07-2007, 6:42 PM
Great Idea. It's like a great date...cheap and easy.:D

Bart Leetch
11-07-2007, 9:27 PM
I have something similar it seems to work fine.

Jim Kountz
11-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Hey Bart, now I like that one! I have seen several versions of this type of thing but this one is it! Your own idea or did you find this elsewhere??

Jim

Bart Leetch
11-08-2007, 12:11 AM
My own version of the one sold by Rockler. There just wasn't any challenge in buying it. Besides that there are a few skills that can be improved on even with small simple projects,and it was an enjoyable project that used up some scrap instead of throwing it out.

Rich Engelhardt
11-09-2007, 7:44 AM
Hello Bart,
Nice enhancement!
Don't mind if I steal part of the idea do ya? :)

My original idea was to make three of them and color code each one for 80, 120 and 180 grit.
I didn't give much thought to how I'd store them.
That little box arrangment is perfect.

Mike Langford
11-09-2007, 8:52 AM
For both 5 hole and 8 hole......

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58956&d=1172521692

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=58955&d=1172521661

Don Bullock
11-09-2007, 9:05 AM
I bought two of the Rockler Sandpaper Disc Stations this year when they had them for half price. They look just like what Bart made. Sure, I could have made them, but the price was right and I didn't have to stop work on my other projects. They work great. If I step up to a 6" sander I'll do exactly what Bart did, make my own.